shape
carat
color
clarity

table size on round yellow

snapplecat07

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am looking at a 1.45 yellow round. Table size is 68%. From what I can see on the internet, the point of FCD's is all color.
Unlike a white/colorless diamond, the cut standards are very different on FCD, most FCD's are cut with a larger table that really woudnt fly on a round colorless. But having said that, many jewelers who sell fcd's, and you would think know about what they sell, insist
that a table like 68% is way too large, its a red flag even before they see the stone.
Any expertise out there who can advise on this ? For ref the round I have is GIA, vivid color, looks great face up.

A second point is the idea that yellow rounds and asscher cuts for an fcd are poor choices to buy as they leak light and dont hold color as well as say a cushion or radiant. But why is that the retail buyers problem ? its a cutters problem. I am the end user and if the color is
great despite the shape, then its all good, especially on a rarer cut (granted pricing will be higher). If the color is not good, then I dont buy. Yet so many jewelers say "dont buy a round or asscher in fcd, that does not make sense.

Thank You

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a colored stones forum, you might be better served posting there. I don't know the answer to your question, as I am not an FCD expert. I'm sure someone else will come along though.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
snapplecat07|1463029891|4030600 said:
Hi,

I am looking at a 1.45 yellow round. Table size is 68%. From what I can see on the internet, the point of FCD's is all color.
Unlike a white/colorless diamond, the cut standards are very different on FCD, most FCD's are cut with a larger table that really woudnt fly on a round colorless. But having said that, many jewelers who sell fcd's, and you would think know about what they sell, insist
that a table like 68% is way too large, its a red flag even before they see the stone.
Any expertise out there who can advise on this ? For ref the round I have is GIA, vivid color, looks great face up.

A second point is the idea that yellow rounds and asscher cuts for an fcd are poor choices to buy as they leak light and dont hold color as well as say a cushion or radiant. But why is that the retail buyers problem ? its a cutters problem. I am the end user and if the color is
great despite the shape, then its all good, especially on a rarer cut (granted pricing will be higher). If the color is not good, then I dont buy. Yet so many jewelers say "dont buy a round or asscher in fcd, that does not make sense.

Thank You

Most FCD cutters specialize in cuts which their core point is enhance the face up color of the FCD Diamonds.
As a "pretty" general rule, the pavilion part of the Diamond will determine the amount of color displayed in the face up position thus utilizing larger table sizes compliment this feature. As mentioned standard cut RB's or Asscher Cuts are usually chosen for shapes in the higher saturated colors as they display the actual body color of the material (no need or almost no possibilities to enhance their face-up colors).

A standard (vivid) yellow RB should be cut to colorless specs if the material is genuinely vivid. Most FCD (recently cut) RB's with out-of-norm specs were probably cut to enhance something...., but do take into consideration that older RB's from the 1940's to the 1980's could have been easily cut with 68% tables and still can be awesome.

Btw, I think it makes most sense buying a standard colorless cut in Fancy Colors. :saint:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Snap,
Just a question- is the stone graded by GIA?
If so did they call it 'Round Brilliant" or "Round Modified Brilliant"?
I've seen examples of both.

The modified pavilion on the RMB creates a different look.....an acquired taste if someone is used to looking at "normal" Round Brilliants.

Personally, I generally prefer a standard facet design in a round FCD- and as Yoram mentioned, 68% table can still be amazing in such a stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results