shape
carat
color
clarity

Synthetic spinel

shrimpsandbananas

Rough_Rock
Has anyone had any rings created with synthetic spinel? I was originally looking for an aquamarine ring, but the size I want is out of my budget at the moment. So I got in contact with Provence and they've provided me with a synthetic spinel colour chart to pick a colour from. Has anyone had any experience of buying a gem this way?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I have zero experience with that but am fascinated with the idea that it works that way! Please post if you decide to move forward with this project.

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
I have purchased a lab spinel, but through Fine Water Gems a year or so ago. I didn’t read closely and thought it was just the deal of the century on a natural spinel. It was really gorgeous, but I sent it back. (Side note: Gary is fantastic to work with and deserves all the hype he gets here.) Silly me! It was before I did any research on lab stones and I was under the impression that they were basically colored CZ. After seeing all of the gorgeous lab stones here, I’m on a bit of a lab buying spree. I should have kept it. It was beautifully cut and big.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Not through Provence with a chart no. I got my lab spinels from Scott Laborie. I buy through his Etsy shop but usually chat with him first and we discuss what i am looking for so he can put up a listing. The very first time I bought from him he sent me a picture of the 3 colours of blue spinel he had at the time and i picked what i liked. I find his prices for lab spinel to be quite reasonable. I haven't bought anything from him in a bit but I like him very much and I like his USA location. Ordering from out of the US makes me nervous.

Stag and Finch from Canada sell some spinel as well. I mostly see people buying their lab sapphires but I like them a lot too. They do a very good cutting job. I plan on becoming a repeat buyer from them for lab sapphire projects. Need a matching sapphires to make a full suite of jewellery after all. And I've already got one of theirs :D

For Provence I couldn't speak to them at all. Maybe take a look at the moissanite Reddit page. People there seem to buy from them more there and might know more?

If you buy from Provence I would love to see the result posted in the fashion jewellery coloured stone thread. More places that do a good job is always nice!

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't remember seeing any lab Spinel listed in Gary's site as in Finewater Gems, however, it is worth contacting him to enquire if he has any roughs available.

And I concur with Gary being a gem to work with.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results