shape
carat
color
clarity

Synthetic Rutile Gemstone

Moonlight_Starfire

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I was wondering.. does anyone know where i could find myself synthetic rutile gemstones? I'm in a phase where i'm trying to collect diamond simulants and this is one of those gemstones that i would love in my collection but have been unable to find! Also would love to see this one in person as i've read and seen photos of its dispersion but nothing beats seeing a gemstone in person.

Oh yes, they can be located anywhere but needs to be able to ship to Australia! :)

Thanks in advance!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry but discussing this means breaking the Pricescope forum rules. Simulants are fine but synthetics aren't.

leetpuma

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I was wondering.. does anyone know where i could find myself synthetic rutile gemstones? I'm in a phase where i'm trying to collect diamond simulants and this is one of those gemstones that i would love in my collection but have been unable to find! Also would love to see this one in person as i've read and seen photos of its dispersion but nothing beats seeing a gemstone in person.

Oh yes, they can be located anywhere but needs to be able to ship to Australia! :)

Thanks in advance!

I would look into RusGems ebay page. They always have some rough Rulite that you can have custom cut.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4D2EFFBD-66C2-4DC1-A801-E40958E77FE6.jpeg Hi, Synthetic Rutile is marketed under a few different names. It’s called Strontium Titanite normally. On eBay you can find various rings and earrings set with the material. Plus a few unset stones.
It doesn’t have a high hardness ie only about 6 or Mohos scale so best for earrings or if a ring, only careful infrequent wearing.
Here is a ring I have. Another PSer Taurus2313 absolutely loves the diamond look a likes too.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 forgive my ignorance but I've never heard of synthetic rutile before, so just looked it up and found a bunch of synthetic stones that resemble diamonds. Do they come in other colors also?

Just to clarify: This synthetic rutile is NOT the same as the silk aka rutile we see in certain natural unheated stones (i.e. sapphire)? Or are there ways to make synthetic sapphires that can actually emulate natural silk?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 forgive my ignorance but I've never heard of synthetic rutile before, so just looked it up and found a bunch of synthetic stones that resemble diamonds. Do they come in other colors also?

Just to clarify: This synthetic rutile is NOT the same as the silk aka rutile we see in certain natural unheated stones (i.e. sapphire)? Or are there ways to make synthetic sapphires that can actually emulate natural silk?
They usually are only found is an off white or more yellow tone. The material predates CZ and wasn’t “cheap” at the time.
Lots of gems including white zircon, sapphire and topaz have been used as “diamond” alternatives and these natural gems are beautiful in their own right, but they (except zircon) just don’t have the high dispersion ie rainbow fire that diamonds do.
Strontium titanite has a higher level of dispersion than either diamond or Moissanite (which slightly higher than diamond) but lacks hardness. It is softer than quartz (Silicon)ie all the minute particles found in dust so abraids really easily and quickly.
Rutile, as an natural element, appears in many gems as needle inclusions and being “shiny” helps creates the “glow” that rubies and Kashmir sapphires and star corundum are renown for.
As a man made material they add different things in to create the material of which rutile is one part.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
They usually are only found is an off white or more yellow tone. The material predates CZ and wasn’t “cheap” at the time.
Lots of gems including white zircon, sapphire and topaz have been used as “diamond” alternatives and these natural gems are beautiful in their own right, but they (except zircon) just don’t have the high dispersion ie rainbow fire that diamonds do.
Strontium titanite has a higher level of dispersion than either diamond or Moissanite (which slightly higher than diamond) but lacks hardness. It is softer than quartz (Silicon)ie all the minute particles found in dust so abraids really easily and quickly.
Rutile, as an natural element, appears in many gems as needle inclusions and being “shiny” helps creates the “glow” that rubies and Kashmir sapphires and star corundum are renown for.
As a man made material they add different things in to create the material of which rutile is one part.

Dear Bron,

Thanks for taking the time to explain! So interesting. Hard to imagine that there are synthetic rubies and sapphires out there with man-made rutile/silk that can just look like the real natural unheated stone! How DO folks at AGL and GIA tell synthetic stones with "fake" rutile apart from natural unheated stones if they look the same under the microscope??

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Strontium titanate is SrTiO3

Synthetic Rutile is TiO2

Not the same.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results