shape
carat
color
clarity

Sydney based appraiser/ valuer - recommendations

natstat

Rough_Rock
Hi PS,

My WF ACA in a semi-custom setting is due to arrive next week.

Can any of my fellow Aussies or Sydney- siders recommend an appraiser/ valuer?

Thanks so much!

Will create a SMTB thread once it's in my hands but have attached shots from Becca at WF in the meantime :) Natalie2.jpg Natalie1.jpg

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fellow Aussie here. First up congrats on the ring. Beautiful setting.

Unfortunately don’t have a Sydney based recommendation for you. I do know of a couple of good Brisbane based ones (and one of them used to be a senior valuer and grader for Hardy Brothers).

natstat

Rough_Rock
Fellow Aussie here. First up congrats on the ring. Beautiful setting.

Unfortunately don’t have a Sydney based recommendation for you. I do know of a couple of good Brisbane based ones (and one of them used to be a senior valuer and grader for Hardy Brothers).

Hey, fellow Aussie! Thanks so much for responding. I love the setting too.

Do you mind sharing your Brisbane contacts with me please? If I can't find anyone here, I'll happily look into Brissy.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The one who used to be the senior valuer at Hardy Brothers is Megan Austin Valuations and is unsurprisingly named Megan Austin.
She has qualifications from the GAA and Gem.A (UK). If you google her, you should be able to get her website and her Facebook page.

I know of her due to the work her husband (who is a watchmaker) has done for me on servicing and restoring vintage watches that I’m now wearing.

Also located within the same building is Nola Buckingham. I know of her by her reputation and have heard good things about her work as a jeweller and valuer. Her website:
http://www.diamondshop.com.au/

fige

Rough_Rock
Premium
Can I ask what you are after a valuation for? It might help guide the answer

natstat

Rough_Rock
Thanks @bmfang and @Caboncon1! Appreciate your recommendations.

Hi @fige - a valuation or appraisal is required for insurance purposes. Without one, I'm unable to obtain cover.

fige

Rough_Rock
Premium
Gary, who is a member of these forums is listed as a valuer in the site below. I’m not sure if he performs valuations, but might be worth reaching out to him as a starting point.

It’s an old trick of insurance companies to insure based on often inflated ‘valuations’ rather than purchase price to inflate their premiums. Valuations that come with purchase can be optimistic to make consumers feel like they got a good deal. I always insure based on purchase price, because (assuming no subsequent market movement) that is the true replacement value of the stone. If I lost my stone, I would be able to replace it for what I paid for it - there are no ‘deals’ in the world of diamonds. You either pay the true price or overpay, but never get a bargain. A good valuer will know this and you should talk to them about their valuation methodology. I’d also be interested in whether they’d value your stone for replacement in Aus or the US as the value would be different. I assume you would want to go abroad to replace your stone if something happened.

I’m sure you’re already all over it but just a reminder to make sure your insurance will allow you to return to your original place of purchase if something ever happened to your stone (you will struggle to find cut like that here is Aus) or give you cash. Also find out how much input you can have in selecting your replacement or if their ‘jeweller’ will be responsible for finding a ‘comparible’ replacement. There are other things to ask, but I won’t bore you with them unless you want.

Sorry to offload, just trying to help. When insuring my ring I found the insurance market in Aus to not have a product that suited me, with the exception of one very overpriced product.

http://www.ncjv.com.au/Find_a_Value...pc3RTZWFyY2hpeXhicWc0NXppemg1NWlvaHZmZTNscmI=

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi from Sydney.
I worked in insurance many years ago and on that basis I don’t actually insure any of my jeweller. We have excellent home security and in 50 years I’ve lost one gold hoop earring and a bracelet.
The insurance premium cost is high and you must read and understand every single word of your policy to ensure you have the coverage you think you have.
You need a policy where your ring is accurately and fully described, a GIA report or similiar is best for the actual diamond and a description of the rings manufacture ie hand cast, designer xx , 10.2 grams 18ct gold.
The valuation $$$$ arent what you get in cash, it’s what you pay your premiums on.
You need to know what constitutes a loss (ie stolen, you might have to provide a police report that confirms evidence of break and enter).
You need to know how they will compensate you in the event of loss.
Do you get to choose your own replacement diamond and have the replacement ring manufactured by your chosen jeweller or do they give you a ring with a diamond that they consider a fair replacement made by “their” jeweler ?
Insurance companies are lovely and helpful while you are paying your premiums but when you make a claim they have a habit of doing anything they can to “not pay out, or pay as little as possible”- that’s their business model. They make money from people NOT making claims or them NOT paying out claims.
A really good, comprehensive policy with a reputable insurance company as a specified jewellery item might have a premium as high as 5% pa of sum insured. Yes, in 20 years, you could have had another one!
That’s why I don’t insure. The right type of policy is very expensive and my jewellery is secure, it is kept in good repair and I am not the type of person who loses things so for ME it is more financially economical not to insure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results