shape
carat
color
clarity

Swine Flu & honeymoon - lets talk

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Ok ladies, i can''t believe there has not been a thread on this yet, or maybe there was one and i missed it, im thinking moreso that many of us are thinking it but we dont want to talk about it............so here i go..

what are we going to do about our honeymoons in mexico? in the next few months?
anyone change their plans yet? im going in july and im going to wait, i "think" but of course 1000 people are asking me.

what are your thoughts? anyone going sooner? yikes!
38.gif
32.gif
14.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re not going to Mexico, but we''re going to Central America (Belize) in two months. Who knows where the flu will be by then. Of course we didn''t opt for travel insurance, not that this is something that would be covered under that....I really don''t want to stress about it, but at the same time, I don''t want to lose out on $6k either! I''m going to contact my travel agent today to see what our alternatives are...

blackbetty

Shiny_Rock
my mom emailed me the day the news broke to ask if i wanted her help in rescheduling my honeymoon in another place, since we nooked cabo. i said no. i''m assuming by october this will have settled down and people will learn to wash their hands! i''d probably go anyway, as it would likely be too late & too costly to do so.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 11:38:28 AM
Author: blackbetty
my mom emailed me the day the news broke to ask if i wanted her help in rescheduling my honeymoon in another place, since we nooked cabo. i said no. i''m assuming by october this will have settled down and people will learn to wash their hands! i''d probably go anyway, as it would likely be too late & too costly to do so.
LOL, my mom called me yesterday too "making sure I had canceled my Mexico honeymoon" scheduled for Mid-June. My answer to her, and for you ladies, is not yet. I have travel insurance and wedding insurance, which I believe covers the honeymoon as well. I was assured by the travel agent that the travel insurance covers having to cancel for issues such as that.

So, as of now we are still planning on going, and as we get closer to the day, we will see what the situation looks like. My fingers are crossed that this will get better, though at this point it is not looking great...
7.gif

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
ya ours is july 11th and we are still going..........for now.

hey can any of you help with my photoshop question on my other thread? lol

guess i just thread jacked myself !

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I think the media is playing up this swine flu business... it is sweeps right now. They do this w/ just about everything to create a frenzy (like shark attacks). The regular flu kills almost 40K people a year. This mostly effects, the elderly, the ill, and children. Where you are most likely to encounter an issue is w/ recirculated air - like airplanes... and that is even in the USA. Mexico doesn''t have a lot of ACs and uses mostly outside air - and as long as you arent letting people close enough to cough and sneeze on you, you''ll be fine.

That is my stance as of right now. If more info comes to light, I may change my oppinion. (No I am not a Dr.)
35.gif

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
FYI, i work in a level one trauma center - i have a coworker who is supposed to leave for mexico on may 9th and my docs are telling her to wait a week and see how things stand at that point.

Also, one of our groomsmen is in Cancun RIGHT NOW! he and his G/F left last thursday and are supposed to come home tomorrow! yikes! we have not heard from them!

Livinthedream

Shiny_Rock
Mexico honeymoon cancelled.. 11 days before wedding.. party of 2!
UGH- of all things... swine flu!?! We were at the travel agents for an hour yesterday and on the phone with the airline for the same. We are no longer going to Mexico, HOWEVER US Air only has the no fee ''deal'' extended until 5/8... we leave 5/10. So I have to pretty much sit around and wait to see if they extend it until 5/10 or else we''re getting screwed. And we''re getting somewhat screwed b/c there are no return flights the day we had planned, or the day before. So I''ll either have to get another flight with a dif airline and loose the money or...?? We shall see.
This was not something I''d ever think I''d be dealing with 10 days out. Bt I have to look at it this way... thank God it didn''t happen 2 days before when I couldn''t change it, or even worse if we were already down there.

Livinthedream

Shiny_Rock
So I just checked US Air. They moved the flight date back to the 15th so we can go ahead and make our changes and not get charged hundreds in fees!

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
my coworker was just told to not go to mexico on may 9th

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I''m here now, in Playa del Carmen.

1. There is not mass panic in the streets.
2. This flu is very treatable. You have to remember that worldwide about 36,000 people die from the flu every year.
3. There are no confirmed cases in Cancun or this region.
4. All of the people who have had it that had been in Cancun also passed through the Mexico city area and airport.

This is not to say that we aren''t taking extra precautions. We are washing our hands more often, carrying hand sanitizer, and we are avoiding areas that are very crowded.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
wow erica, thanks for responding, keep us posted and we''ll be thinking of you - LOVE LOVE your pics btw

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Of course the Mexican govt just closed all federal parks, including Coba and Chichen Itza. Wanna guess what our plans for the next two days were?

I am SOOOO bummed!!!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 2:59:00 PM
Author: EricaR
Of course the Mexican govt just closed all federal parks, including Coba and Chichen Itza. Wanna guess what our plans for the next two days were?

I am SOOOO bummed!!!
33.gif
Bedroom time???
33.gif

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 4:47:08 PM
Author: tlh
Date: 4/29/2009 2:59:00 PM

I am SOOOO bummed!!!
33.gif
Bedroom time???
33.gif

Too much sunburn for that!
31.gif

Actually, I think we have most of our days re-planned. Lots of random things are being forced to close though. Nightclubs, etc.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d definitely wait a little while and see what happens before cancelling it. You have another few months before you''re traveling so things might have changed by then.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad you checked in Erica. I have been wondering how you are. I''m glad you aren''t panicking and are enjoying your time there!

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
My FI and I are wanting out of our Cabo honeymoon but don''t have traveler''s insurance. So basically we''re stuck with our fingers crossed like a lot of you guys are too.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d cancel. I''d much rather play it safe than be a party to potentially contracting or spreading what could become a worldwide pandemic.

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
All you can do is follow is advice given by RELIABLE sources such as the CDC. While I am NOT saying this is the case here, the media will its best to hype up anything they can!

I just returned from my honeymoon in cancun on April 13th, the day that the first swine flu death was reported. I can honestly tell you I am not the least bit concerned although everyone else has been calling me asking me if I am worried. It is getting quite annoying! I have done some research to learn the facts:

-No one living in the US has died from this virus. Those who may die from it are most likely going to be people with compromised immune systems.
-Of about 2000 people in Mexico who have comfirmed cases of the swine flu, most are being released from the hospital and will be okay.
-Those who are most likely to catch the virus are in contact with pigs (farmers, rural areas). They don''t have the same hospital care that we have in the US, and more urban areas of Mexico.
-Not all areas of Mexico have been affected

Things may change for the worst between now and your honeymoon, but personally if my honeymoon was tomorrow in Cancun, I would still go.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 7:25:44 PM
Author: Izzy03
All you can do is follow is advice given by RELIABLE sources such as the CDC. While I am NOT saying this is the case here, the media will its best to hype up anything they can!

I just returned from my honeymoon in cancun on April 13th, the day that the first swine flu death was reported. I can honestly tell you I am not the least bit concerned although everyone else has been calling me asking me if I am worried. It is getting quite annoying! I have done some research to learn the facts:

-No one living in the US has died from this virus. Those who may die from it are most likely going to be people with compromised immune systems.

-Of about 2000 people in Mexico who have comfirmed cases of the swine flu, most are being released from the hospital and will be okay.

-Those who are most likely to catch the virus are in contact with pigs (farmers, rural areas). They don't have the same hospital care that we have in the US, and more urban areas of Mexico.

Things may change for the worst between now and your honeymoon, but personally if my honeymoon was tomorrow in Cancun, I would still go.

actually it was reported that a toddler did die from swine flu, I believe in Texas.

With that being said, FI and I are going to Playa on July 13. We are still planning on going, like others have said, thousands die from the 'regular' flu every year. Is it scary? yes...but I'm washing my hands and just being cautious...that's all you really can do!

ETA: just re-read it, the toddler WAS from Mexico City and visiting Texas, but they are still saying it's the first U.S. death

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 9:25:50 PM
Author: Blair138
Date: 4/29/2009 7:25:44 PM

Author: Izzy03

-Those who are most likely to catch the virus are in contact with pigs (farmers, rural areas). They don't have the same hospital care that we have in the US, and more urban areas of Mexico.

actually it was reported that a toddler did die from swine flu, I believe in Texas.

With that being said, FI and I are going to Playa on July 13. We are still planning on going, like others have said, thousands die from the 'regular' flu every year. Is it scary? yes...but I'm washing my hands and just being cautious...that's all you really can do!

ETA: just re-read it, the toddler WAS from Mexico City and visiting Texas, but they are still saying it's the first U.S. death

I researched this yesterday, apparently before the toddler died.

ETA: Just read your ETA
2.gif

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 2:03:43 PM
I''m here now, in Playa del Carmen.

1. There is not mass panic in the streets.

2. This flu is very treatable. You have to remember that worldwide about 36,000 people die from the flu every year.

3. There are no confirmed cases in Cancun or this region.

4. All of the people who have had it that had been in Cancun also passed through the Mexico city area and airport.

This is not to say that we aren''t taking extra precautions. We are washing our hands more often, carrying hand sanitizer, and we are avoiding areas that are very crowded.

*mini threadjack*
Erica, you are the wedding twin of my co-workers! You got married on the same day AND you''re honeymooning in the same place right now! How silly!
*Kay done*

Anyway, my co-worker and her husband got married on Saturday and they are in Playa Del Carmen right now. I''ve sent her a few text messages but haven''t heard anything back from her. But I''m assuming she''s busy with her honeymoon activities...
31.gif
27.gif
But I hope she''s okay. I''m assuming she is since I heard there were no reported cases of it in Playa Del Carmen. It''s still a scary thing though!

I think if we were planning a Mexico honeymoon we would change destinations.

blackbetty

Shiny_Rock
stupid bacon fever. :(

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results