shape
carat
color
clarity

Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps this is a little more appropriate in the Health forum, but I told the LIWs and the workout thread that I''d post here.

I had a consultation with a really good back surgeon today, and he agreed that I need surgery. I hadn''t realized it until today, but I''m also losing reflexes in my right leg -- when he hit some areas with the little hammer thing, nothing happened. That means that if I continue without having surgery, I could have nerve damage. He''s going to trim off the protruding part of the disk so that it''s not pressing against the spinal column anymore. Long term success looks very hopeful. He doesn''t see any problems with me getting back into running eventually, which is a relief for me. I''ll need to take it very easy for a couple of weeks, but the recovery should be relatively short for back surgery. He seemed to think it''s really not that bad, but he''s also used to doing a lot of really major spine surgery.

He''s scheduled me in for Wednesday, April 12. That gives me enough time to get through exams and finish visiting graduate schools beforehand.

My (less than 24 hour) visit home had a couple fun aspects. I got my first hair cut in 4 months, and it feels so much nicer and healthier. My dad was sent a copy of Martha Stewart Weddings (magazine companies do this hoping that he''ll leave them in his waiting room), so I now have a wedding magazine to look through after exams.
9.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Gah, I hate surgery. I''ve had a few, so I know how you feel! I''m very sorry you have to go through this... I wish you a successful surgery and speedy recovery! *hugs*

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prayers outgoing for a perfect surgery and 100% problem fixed.
Please post a reminder in hangout a day or 2 before and keep us informed on how it goes.

Your PS family :}

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Blenheim,

Prayers coming from me too for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!!!!
35.gif

Please keep us posted!!! Big hugs!

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
You''ll pull with flying colors and you''ll be so much happier after.
2.gif

I''ve had surgery on my spine... it was 20 years ago and wasn''t to bad. Good luck!!!!
1.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Blenheim,
Glad you''re able to get the surgery done soon and that way it''s over with!! That''s good that you can have the surgery at a time which accomodates your schedule.
Good luck and take care of yourself! Keep us updated.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blenheim, I''m sending positive vibes your way! You can do it! My hubby had back surgery when he was in college...he still has minor issues sometimes, but now that he''s 35 we think they''re mostly age-related and they only seem to occur when he''s been inactive. You''re gonna do great!
35.gif
36.gif
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m hoping a quick surgery with a speedy recovery for you! And you have lots of willpower not to look at the MSW magazine till after exams! I''m already married and I''d still be reading it now! LOL.
1.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Blenheim - You have a ruptured disk?
My situation sounds very similar to yours.
I had surgery last year to remove parts/pieces of a ruptured disk in my neck.
I was in a very bad way pre-surgery, I was stuck in bed unable to walk or even sit up to eat.
I was risking serious injury if I didnt have the surgery, the disk was bulging/pressing right into my spinal column.
Fortunately, I had a great ****Neurosurgeon**** and the surgery was a complete success!
(Back surgery like ours should ONLY be performed by Neurosurgeons, and not orthapedists/etc.)
A year later I'm doing great.

Surgery is scary, but sometimes it's the best option. I can't say it is/will be the best option for you, but I wanted to let you know someone around here has been through it.

I hope you feel better soon.
As a warning, please give your body time to heal post surgery, give yourself a good 6 months - DO NOT push yourself into exercise, running or lifting medium/heavy objects.
My injury required a lot of PT, this really helped me - I suspect it will be important to you as well.

Scintillating...

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I''ll be sure to post updates in the Hangout forum as they come, as Storm suggests.

It''s also reassuring to hear that a lot of people have had successful back surgery and feel better now. A lot of people, upon hearing that I''m going to have back surgery, tell me that their cousin''s boyfriend''s aunt (or whoever) had back surgery and just never was the same and is still in pain. The surgeon seems really optimistic and I know he''s so much more informed than, well, pretty much everyone with the horror stories. Hopefully everything will be fine.

Scintillating, I have a herniated disk, so it''s probably not quite as bad as what you had. Some days it will really hurt to get out of bed and I have to drug myself up to get through even an hour of class, and others it''s really not that bad. ("Not that bad" is still constant pain, though.) I''m really really hoping that it''s not that bad for my exams. I''ve been seeing an orthopedic surgeon so far, and he''s the one who recommended epidural blocks and other relatively conservative treatment earlier on. He''s referred me to a very good back and neurosurgeon for the surgery, and he''s the one who I had the consultation with yesterday.

I''m also deliberately not looking for a job for this summer. I figure that it''s important to just take it easy and let my body heal, plus I''ve heard that it''s a good idea to start studying for qualifying exams before you even start grad school. I fortunately saved enough money from last summer that this is possible.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck Blenheim, I''m sure you will do fabulous and feel so much better afterwards...keep us posted!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck Blenheim!
35.gif
With my back I am quite a strange case and there is nothing they can do for me, but that is great they can help you! Wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot of the people you hear horror stories about there was a lot of damage and there was no chance of a 100% fix.
The fact they can still walk and sit in itself a miracle in some cases.
A relative of mine is a perfect example, yes he has some pain at times but the alternative was not being able to move.
He shattered 4 bones in his spine and there is no 100% fix.

The fact that they are saying you can get back to running is a very very very good sign.
running is hard on the spine do not rush back into it and follow your physical therapists instructions to the T then once done with PT get a personal trainer who is skilled at working with people with back problems.
What is often a good idea is have your Therapist work with your trainer to design the program.
The best thing you can do is get tight with your physical therapist.
A great therapist can make a huge difference in your recovery.
You have to click and work together if you dont ask for another.

It sounds like yours is very fixable and you will be finer than frog hair split 8 ways :}

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
back pain is a terrible thing to have to endure, I am so sorry you have to go through that. I hope the surgery fixes the problem so you do not have as much or any chronic pain anymore. It can really, really wear you down as I''m sure you know. I think not looking for a job this summer is a very good idea--let your body heal itself.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Blenheim- I hope you are able to focus during your exams. You will be in my prayers. (((Hugs)))

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Good thoughts, vibes, and prayers heading your way. Maybe some ''get well'' bling would make you feel better.
31.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I second that MoonRiver!!
2.gif

Hang in there, sweets. Good vibes coming your way!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Blen,
It sounds like your doing the right thing; you're in some kind of pain *everyday* and the Cortisone injections didn't help to bring down the inflammation (which can allow your body to heal). How long have you been in pain? Do you know how you herniated your disk?

The morning after my surgery I could walk without pain - it was pretty amazing! I hope it's the same for you!

Taking the summer off to study and heal is the best thing you could do for yourself.
Enjoy lots of cuddy time with your beautiful puppy.
I wish you a speedy recovery - and good luck on your exams! Keep us updated.
35.gif

Scintillating...

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone!

Oh, post-surgery bling would be wonderful. I just feel like I shouldn''t buy it for myself, seeing as I''m not planning on working this summer and won''t really have an income. I asked my boyfriend if he was planning on proposing before or after surgery, but he wouldn''t say. It''s now too late for it to be before, because we won''t see each other until after surgery. We''re both travelling in and out of town a lot, just missing each other. He is visiting the weekend after though...(I''m having surgery and recovering at home, not at school.)

Scintillating, I began having hip pain in November that I thought was my IT band but was later able to recognize as radiating pain. My back pain didn''t start until near Christmas, at which point I went to see my orthopedic surgeon. I''m not really sure how I herniated my disk, but I have an extra vertebrae which puts me at an increased risk and I was finishing off a cross country season. Evidently running on uneven ground puts various pressures on your lower back, which can be bad for it. Fortunately my hip started hurting the afternoon after my regional meet, and not before.

I think I''m going to spend the night after my surgery in the hospital. They''re giving me the option, and with hospitals and health care being as they are these days with overnight stays, I think that means that I need to be there. It sounds like I should be able to walk around some that evening though, and definitely by the next day. I hope so!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Blenheim:

Good luck with your back surgery!!!! I hope it is what will fix you and you''ll feel much, much better afterwards!

My 11 year old son has had back problems now for about 8 months and has been to physiotherapy and massage therapy many times. He is growing so fast - I think that is the problem.

Back pain is the worst because it totally debilitates you. Take good care and keep us posted!

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results