shape
carat
color
clarity

Surface Graining

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would a diamond with lots of surface graining automatically show signs of strain under a polariscope? I cannot see any internal graining with the loupe and the diamond is beautiful just has surface graining all over it. Only notice the surface graining with a loupe.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS. I know lots of experts do not believe strain has any impact on a cut diamond but I am just really wondering if a diamond with surface graining will show all those different colours in the polariscope?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most probably
1.gif

It is pretty isn't it

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.gif

whoops wrong smiley

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is surface polish lines would the stone still show up under the polariscope with various colours showing strain?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garry, maybe I need to have a more open mind as I don't get what you mean. Garry Roskin's book (in my understanding) is saying that Surface Grain lines and Polish lines are a different thing.

p.s. I had a nice sleep
2.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Perhaps we can get you to go back now P?
It is nearly mid day there
1.gif

You ask about a stone that has lots of surface graining - naturally it will have polish lines. The polish lines are surface grain lines from twinning, and twinning causes anomolous polarization.

I wish someone who loves you would steal and hide any form of magnification so that you can only see big things.
Enough small detail my darling
love.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
No I am not looking at a diamond. I was wondering about just polish lines with no graining present. The grain lines was a diamond I had looked at.

Actually, I have locked away my loupe and don't use it now. The graining I saw at a jewellers.

It is 9am here now.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 5/10/2004 3:45:27 AM pyramid wrote:

Roskin's book (in my understanding) is saying that Surface Grain lines and Polish lines are a different thing.

----------------

Yeah... Is this right ?

surface gain lines = some internal feature breaking surface
polish lines = imperfect polishing that leaves marks behind.

These two look very different, although, one could cause another - imperfections on a diamond's surface could make polishing difficult and hence imperfect.

Does the book you cite have any pictures? there are some for each type of flaw on PS and GOG... and elsewhere onlyne for sure. If you ever want to unlock the loupe and seek imperfect polish and graining out, look at soe champagne diamonds - for some reason, those tend to have lots of it and nicely colored for all to see
1.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, Valeria101 that is what CutNut was saying that surface graining would cause the polish lines. I did not explain though that I was asking about them separately under the polariscope.

Yes Gary Roskin's book has wonderful magnified pictures. I like the champagne and brown diamonds also but cannot buy them just now as I am saving for the big 1 carat diamond which I will get in a few years. Anyway, I have banned myself from using the loupe a few months ago
9.gif
9.gif

I have a photo I saved from this site by Serg on this link

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-it-polishing-lines.10238/

and this is what got me wondering if those lines would cause bright colours under the polariscope.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh... I never read those posts carefully enough!

And I suppose that sloppy polish can definitely leave those lines with no help from the diamond structure.

Now Pyramid, do you know a recipe for cutting down PS posts? Even though I definitely have time for this, something feels wrong
sad.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
valeria101, I am going to have a rest from pricescope and come back maybe when I am nearer to buying my upgrade engagement ring.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 5/9/2004 3:18:48 PM pyramid wrote:

Would a diamond with lots of surface graining automatically show signs of strain under a polariscope? I cannot see any internal graining with the loupe and the diamond is beautiful just has surface graining all over it. Only notice the surface graining with a loupe.----------------

Hi Pyramid
You can have tension fields in both Twinning planes and Growth planes and these would be more visible in polarized light. I have also seen both without discernable tension

Johan

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks CutNut, valeria101 and mdx.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results