shape
carat
color
clarity

Supplied different diamond - is it better than my initial order?

siddr90

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I just created my account today when I came across this incredible forum dedicated to diamonds and jewelry.

I had ordered a 0.5 ct ring for a proposal from a store here in London by selecting a specific diamond (GIA number: 6341937757)

But when I got the delivery, they replaced the diamond with GIA number: 2195967220

Would appreciate your inputs on how do the 2 diamonds compare? and if I received a better one than I initially ordered?

Thank you very much,

Initially ordered: 6341937757

ordered - 6341937757.JPG

Received: 2195967220

received - 2195967220.JPG

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I just created my account today when I came across this incredible forum dedicated to diamonds and jewelry.

I had ordered a 0.5 ct ring for a proposal from a store here in London by selecting a specific diamond (GIA number: 6341937757)

But when I got the delivery, they replaced the diamond with GIA number: 2195967220

Would appreciate your inputs on how do the 2 diamonds compare? and if I received a better one than I initially ordered?

Thank you very much,

Initially ordered: 6341937757

ordered - 6341937757.JPG
HCA Score:
5AB88FA5-C8F7-48A6-B8B9-7FB782818321.png

Received: 2195967220

received - 2195967220.JPG

HCA Score:
BEA8B691-E1F1-4EE7-9B9F-2AFE402AC690.png
Based upon the numbers, alone, no. Your initial stone scored better on the HCA tool than the one you received.
I’m certain others with more experience with MRB’s will weigh in.
My advice: return the one you received, and keep searching. You can find something far better, here. All of us would be willing to help you, with just a bit more info: budget, preferences, setting ideas.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please be sure to expand that entire post to see my reply in its entirety.
Thank you. ;)2

siddr90

Rough_Rock
thank you, that's interesting - HCA tool seems like a good way to filter out options.

I've paid about $1500 for the diamond here. Good to see that the new one looks 'bigger' than its size but I see that its also lacking in a few areas.

To my naked and untrained eye, it looks good but would appreciate any more inputs and advice as well :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you, that's interesting - HCA tool seems like a good way to filter out options.

I've paid about $1500 for the diamond here. Good to see that the new one looks 'bigger' than its size but I see that its also lacking in a few areas.

To my naked and untrained eye, it looks good but would appreciate any more inputs and advice as well :)

There are specific specifications pertaining to dimensions among experienced PSers who can chime in and tell you what their preferred pavilion angle pavilion percentage crown angle crown percentage depth and table would be. Those specific details are representative of what an ideal cut diamond would look like.
The HCA tool can be used to rule out certain GIA graded and certified diamonds. AGS graded diamonds do not require the use of the HCA tool, as AGS is far more strict on CUT grading.
You may have some luck allowing yourself more options, if you include G color diamonds in your search.
SPREAD is another quality you should focus on, instead of WEIGHT. The second stone has a larger SPREAD, but lacks in performance areas.

Example of an AGS graded, Ideal Cut ACA from Whiteflash.
well within your budget.

*Note: the weight is under 0.50ct, and the spread is under 5.0, ACA’s face up larger than their inferior cut, “larger” competitors.
Worth reaching out to WF to see if they can source something closer to 0.50ct with a spread of 5.00mm+ in their ACA cut collection.
@Texas Leaguer

Another Ideal/Super Ideal vendor worth pursuing:
@Wink

Last edited:

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, I would suggest emailing them right this second to say that you notices the stone is not the one you ordered. And that you would like to speak to someone about resoving the issue. Because even if the one in your possession has a bigger diameter, you are most likely sacrificing sparkle. All diamonds even ones with a 'fair' or 'good' or 'very good' cut grade, sparkle and look good. The problem is you paid for, and chose, a stone with better than average proportions even within the 'excellent' cut grade designation. If you like it and are happy with it maybe a partial refund would be an option. I have to attached a screenshot of bluenile diamonds with your exact parameters. The discrepancy between the cheapest and most expensive 0.50 F vs1 is nearly twofold. So bear that in mind when they tell you you got exactly Screenshot_20200521-132611_Samsung Internet.jpg the same quality stone you originally selected.(prices are in swiss francs but you get the picture.)

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@siddr90 I agree with @737lizakg You ordered a specific diamond and clearly didn't get what you ordered. There are much more experienced people here who have given excellent advice as I am more a coloured stones girl, but this is clearly poor customer service. ::) Glad you found us by the way! ;)2

siddr90

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the quick replies :) really appreciate the advice.

I'm going to ask them how to resolve this - either by replacing the diamond or by refunding some amount as compensation.

Also attaching the images of diamond received for reference. It looks good to me but I don't like why they would change the diamond without notifying me. 20200521_130204.jpg 20200521_130355.jpg

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring! And by UK standards a good deal, assuming you get the originally selected diamond or a substantial refund for the stone you currently have. It looks like a nice white stone and if you love it, keep it! Just be sure to be compensated accordingly. Once this is all resolved, would love to hear what company/shop this is.

siddr90

Rough_Rock
Lovely ring! And by UK standards a good deal, assuming you get the originally selected diamond or a substantial refund for the stone you currently have. It looks like a nice white stone and if you love it, keep it! Just be sure to be compensated accordingly. Once this is all resolved, would love to hear what company/shop this is.

Thank you, yes I'll share the details of shop once this is resolved with them. I'd like to make sure the wider community are aware of such practices but will wait to see how they resolve this first :)

What would you say is a fair compensation between the 2 diamonds?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring. However, call them & tell them you want a some stones brought in for review or you want a refund. The fact they think they can just switch up a diamond at whim isn't ethical. I would steer clear of this business. You didn't get what you paid for & hopefully you have some paperwork to prove that. I can't get over that they switched it & so casually, like it's everyday practice, oh by the way, we changed out your diamond hope you have a wonderful life together bye bye. LOL So ridiculous.

Post your budget, & specs you want while you are waiting. Maybe something better isn't out there but give PS members a chance to help find you one. If you have a tight budget, an excellent cut, Very good polish & very good symmetry with complimenting proportions should be a nice stone. I've had a couple of those. The key is the proportions & cut grade.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we could help find something better. And no ethical vendor would switch stones without notifying you and explicitly asking permission. This seems like a bad screw up on their part, and I would want my money back.

siddr90

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the new comments. Yeah I found it so strange that they would swap it out without any notification prior to delivery.

I'm based in the UK and my total budget for ring + diamond is around 2200 USD. Just looking for a single diamond design with a band that is thin / looks thin.

I see that there are better deals to be had in the USA but I'd be hit by a pretty high custom duty if I imported the ring. So might have to pay the 'London' premium as 737lizakg pointed out.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I think we could help find something better. And no ethical vendor would switch stones without notifying you and explicitly asking permission. This seems like a bad screw up on their part, and I would want my money back.

Yes. This. I would not trust a vendor who switched a diamond without asking your permission.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
20200521_213939.jpg

I am not an expert of modern diamonds. Can someone tell me if this is a good one? Found it on a hatton garden site. It is within budget. Paired with a slim yellow gold setting.

Edited to add: @siddr90 the moreI think about itthe more I think you should try to get a refund. Switching stones is so unethical.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So this is the setting (it was the thinnest available on the site) and total cost of the ring and diamond. It is more traditional than the setting you chose. I blocked out identifying info so no one lurkingon the forum swoops in to buy the stone before you get a chance to resolve your current ring situation.

Attachments

• 20200521_215416.jpg
    20200521_215416.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200521_215401.jpg
    20200521_215401.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200521_215220.jpg
    20200521_215220.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 18

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20200521_213939.jpg

I am not an expert of modern diamonds. Can someone tell me if this is a good one? Found it on a hatton garden site. It is within budget. Paired with a slim yellow gold setting.

Edited to add: @siddr90 the moreI think about itthe more I think you should try to get a refund. Switching stones is so unethical.

That is a LOVELY stone! OP: please buy this one!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
Crafted by Infinityn is a company with offices in several European countries; the cutting of their stones is exceptional; they are not inexpensive but the stones are outstanding.

siddr90

Rough_Rock
So this is the setting (it was the thinnest available on the site) and total cost of the ring and diamond. It is more traditional than the setting you chose. I blocked out identifying info so no one lurkingon the forum swoops in to buy the stone before you get a chance to resolve your current ring situation.

Oh wow, that is really kind of you! Can you PM me which site is this on? I'll have a look into the setting a bit more, that diamond does look really nice.

And it is cheaper than what I paid!

siddr90

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the quick feedback on the selected diamond as well.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Return the diamond you didn't buy - if you purchased one stone and they supplied another, that is 'bait and switch'.

Did you see the first stone in real life before purchasing? Or did you just purchase off the internet site?

If the latter, I have a feeling they saw the stone you ordered was really nice and swapped it for one with lesser performance / lesser price.

Contact them ASAP to say you regret that you have not been supplied with the stone you ordered and therefore need to return it for a refund.

Being British, I know you will hate to make a fuss (as do I) but sometimes we need to be more American about these things ;-)

If they only offer 'store credit' or to swap it for something else, you can thank them for the offer but politely decline.

If they get really sh***y, I believe that you should be able to do a credit card chargeback (if you paid by credit card) on the basis they have failed to supply the goods or services you paid for.

Do you have written records / emails / quotations detailing you would have the specific diamond mentioned? Things might be trickier if you have nothing in writing, unfortunately.

siddr90

Rough_Rock
So I've just got an update from them.

They are willing to put in the diamond I originally ordered and are also very apologetic. They view that the diamond supplied has no fluorescence and they consider it to be better than one I ordered.

I'm inclined to change it back to one I ordered, as most inputs here suggest my ordered diamond is better.

Does that makes sense to you all?:)

Thanks again, really appreciate the inputs and makes me very comfortable dealing with this situation.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've just got an update from them.

They are willing to put in the diamond I originally ordered and are also very apologetic. They view that the diamond supplied has no fluorescence and they consider it to be better than one I ordered.

I'm inclined to change it back to one I ordered, as most inputs here suggest my ordered diamond is better.

Does that makes sense to you all?:)

Thanks again, really appreciate the inputs and makes me very comfortable dealing with this situation.

I would personally buy from a different company (the stone suggested previously by @737lizakg is amazing and better than either of the other stones from this company). Just my thought!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OP I think you have been given really good advice here as to what to do: return for a refund and suggested a much better option. People here can recommend you better stones and also ask yourself if you want to do business with a company that knowingly switched a stone on you.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you PM me which site is this on?

There is no pm on this forum, but here is a link to loupetroop which has a listing I created for you to contact me. It would be worth just browsing the competition.

It is good that you got a prompt response from the company. Do whatever you are comfortable with, I know it can be uneasy. But, bear in mind this is akin to ordering an Iphone from Currys and them delivering a Huawei, without notifying you. Once called out, they defend themselves saying they were doing you a favor because the Huawei has a bigger screen. In a non diamond situation, the lines are far less blurry. As an aside, I love Currys; their insurance policy and aftersales service is great!

I *think* the UK has quite strict (in favor of the buyer) refund laws regarding goods not as represented. Sites like WHICH translate them into laymans terms.

My contact info

siddr90

Rough_Rock
737lizakg - I'll reach out using the link. thanks again for your inputs and help! :)

Thanks others for your advice on this situation as well.

FYI - I've quickly looked into the laws covering my rights and also contacted them to resolve most likely by refund. The only hitch could be that I had a ordered a custom setting so they might try to push the 'store credit' option. I'm pretty sure I can push the refund bit though, waiting to see how they handle this. I'll share the name with the community here once this is resolved.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
737lizakg - I'll reach out using the link. thanks again for your inputs and help! :)

Thanks others for your advice on this situation as well.

FYI - I've quickly looked into the laws covering my rights and also contacted them to resolve most likely by refund. The only hitch could be that I had a ordered a custom setting so they might try to push the 'store credit' option. I'm pretty sure I can push the refund bit though, waiting to see how they handle this. I'll share the name with the community here once this is resolved.

I'm really glad to hear you are going to pursue a refund. They switched stones without notifying you, so I'm pretty sure you can push to get a refund. This is on them, not on you. They messed up 100%.

Reactions: caf

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the setting is not refundable within their T&Cs, you could always ask them to return the setting to you once they've removed the stone, refunding the stone only!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results