shape
carat
color
clarity

Superfit ring shank - opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chelsea3

Rough_Rock
Greetings everyone! I have large knuckes and my jeweler showed me the Superfit ring shank (which opens and closes on your finger so that you don''t have to go over the knuckle) and I was wondering what your opinions are about this product. Is there anyone that had this product installed on their ring and either loves or hates it? Is there anyone out there that has read something about it either good or bad? I have already read the past posts on PS about the different types of ring shanks. My jeweler is specifically recommending Superfit. I am concerned because I saw a video on "You Tube" that was created by a competitor of Superfit claiming that in a vibration test, the shank opened and the ring fell off.

What are your opinions please! Any help, comments or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
face23.gif
Chelsea

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would try sizing beads first...they are probably the most common and simple way to address this problem.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I hope DiamanteBlu doesn''t mind me posting a photo of her ring, but she has a similar setting for her ring. The band latches shut so that she doesn''t have to slide it over her knuckles. I assume she trusts the clasp considering the 6 carat honker of a stone :)

diamanteblu222.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 7:04:54 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I hope DiamanteBlu doesn''t mind me posting a photo of her ring, but she has a similar setting for her ring. The band latches shut so that she doesn''t have to slide it over her knuckles. I assume she trusts the clasp considering the 6 carat honker of a stone :)
That is who I was thinking of too!

nsaids_nurse420

Shiny_Rock
my 85 year old grandmother has one of these and loves it. her knuckles have gotten so large r/t problems with arthritis. she has never complained about the ring and wears it everyday.

homechef

Rough_Rock
i prefer classic ring over knuckles.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are quite a few products available for this and Superfit is the dominant player for some pretty good reasons, not the least of which is that it really does work pretty well. I rather like the one advertised in the video you probably saw(PFF ring clasp) as well but it’s quite a bit more expensive and is both more difficult to buy and more difficult to find someone to install. Although I find his whole advertising approach to be a bit annoying, it really is a very nice product.

DiamanteBlu’s pictured above looks like a PFF to me by the way.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

chelsea3

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your responses. DiamanteBlu''s ring is quite the rock! WOW! I have sizing beads on my old setting but my knuckles have developed callouses on them from taking the ring off and on. Sometimes my knuckles even bleed. Since I am in the process of upgrading my ring, I want to resolve this issue once and for all! Thanks for posting the information about the PFF ring shank as well. I will look into it before I make my final decision, although I''m inclined to go with Superfit since my jeweler is familiar with it and I have not read any really negative responses, nor have I read that anyone lost their ring because it came open. Again, you are all amazing and I appreciate all of your responses. As soon as my upgrade is complete, I will definitely post a photo!
9.gif
Chelsea

chelsea3

Rough_Rock
Has anyone ever heard of the "double snap" ring shank?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Reposted from DiamanteBlu (hope she doesn''t mind!):

"The EC has a fingermate shank: http://www.fingermate.com/ . It is knd of a pain because if I carry something heavy or otherwise apply pressure the thing opens up. Since it stays connected I don''t think the ring is at risk but I keep having to snap it shut.

The shank of the RB I like much better. It is not going anywhere. If it is open there is a spring that keeps it closed and it has never popped open. Any new ring I have made will use this shank unless something better comes along. This looks like the site: http://www.superringfit.com/index.html"

Hope that helps.

chelsea3

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your response. I looked up the brand "superringfit" and it certainly does look secure! But, my jeweler uses superfit . . . he did mention that he could install a "double snap" ring shank on my ring. From what I can gather on the internet, it looks like the "doublesnap" ring shank was made by the creator of superfit, but under a new company name. You can find it at www.doublesnaprings.com. It is supposed to be heavier and sturdier. Does anyone have the "double snap" version and how do they like it? Thanks again for all your posts!

sountfc

Rough_Rock
As a former owner of a SuperFit ring, I will add my two cents.

I broke the main knuckle on my ring finger many years ago. Actually, I shattered it, and went through surgery and a lot of rehab. It''s permanently large, and barely bends. When I got married several years ago, we looked for an option, and the only one our jeweler knew of was SuperFit, so that''s what we went with. Within six months, I was having issues with it. The locking mechanism didn''t take long to become loose. After eight months or so, it was really bad. At one point, it simply unlocked and fell off, right in the middle of a city park. I was mortified, and spent half an hour searching for it in the grass. Fortunately, I found it. I had trouble with it for for the next few years.

Not only that, but when I contacted SuperFit about it, the response I got was less than desirable. The product is SUPPOSED to have a lifetime warranty, but I was bluntly told that I must not have properly maintained my ring. I found that laughable, seeing as how I had trouble with it less than a YEAR after I bought it. It wasn''t the response I was expecting, given what I had paid for it.

Recently, I remarried, so this time I decided to seek out an alternate option. I came across the PFF that was mentioned above, and researched that. I can tell you, this locking mechanism is superior. I am wearing one right now. It''s very different than the SuperFit, and I think it''s a lot more secure.

So yes, it may be a bit more expensive, and I guess it''s more difficult to buy as well, but keep in mind that it''s made by an individual who takes great pride in his work, and will support it 100%. I''m sold.

Regards,

Eric

mrb19992004

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 11:50:57 AM
Author:chelsea3
Greetings everyone! I have large knuckes and my jeweler showed me the Superfit ring shank (which opens and closes on your finger so that you don''t have to go over the knuckle) and I was wondering what your opinions are about this product. Is there anyone that had this product installed on their ring and either loves or hates it? Is there anyone out there that has read something about it either good or bad? I have already read the past posts on PS about the different types of ring shanks. My jeweler is specifically recommending Superfit. I am concerned because I saw a video on ''You Tube'' that was created by a competitor of Superfit claiming that in a vibration test, the shank opened and the ring fell off.

What are your opinions please! Any help, comments or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
face23.gif
Chelsea
My husband had a super fit ring f that did not work out well for him at all. (previous marriage) The mechanism failed after only a couple of months of wear!!! He had to rertrace his steps many times to go and find the ring in a parking lot, etc.... He is very meticulous with his things and did nothing to abuse the ring to cause it to come open. This happened with NORMAL day to day activities. Putting his hand into his pocket to get his keys out, etc...

I did much research on what was available in regards to rings for large knuckles..... No way did I want the same issue for the ring I put on his finger! I found the Perfect fit ring mechanism a SUPERIOR product. If you look at the difference in the way the mechanisms close, it is pretty obvious to see why the super fit fails, and the Perfect fit ring does not. When I put the ring on his finger and closed the clasp on our wedding day, it closed so loud that you can hear it on the video that was taken. I smiled very big, as I am CONFIDENT this ring WILL NEVER fall off. If I were you, do your due diligence and research. You will see the difference!!

By the way....I also contacted Super fit when I began my research on rings, and I got a very nice letter that basically blew me off. Great customer service.

chelsea3

Rough_Rock
MRB19992004 and sountfc: I have not checked this thread in a while so I just read your responses and I wanted to thank you for your input. This type of input is invaluable and this is why Pricescope is so fantastic. With Pricescope, we are able to get real feedback and user reviews on products that we would otherwise know nothing about! For the time being, I am not going to have any type of special shank installed that opens/closes until I learn more about them. Thanks again for sharing your experiences with me.
21.gif
Chelsea

muldog

Rough_Rock
I bought a Superfit ring as a wedding band because of large knuckles. After a year the shank would not close completely. Long story short the ring fell off and is lost. Would not recommend Superfit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results