shape
carat
color
clarity

Super Super Ideal cut or higher color grade?? Will we be able to see the difference between Super S

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

Will an average person be able to see the difference between 1) H&A Super Ideal with 3 Very High in BrillianceScope report vs. 2) H&A Super Ideal with 1 Very High and 2 Highs in BrillianceScope report? I know some people don''t buy the technology though...

Until now I wanted H&A with 3VH stone, but now I''m wondering if I should go with a vendor who doesnft offer the BrillianceScope report, but offer a bit more competitive price for H&A stones although I will probably end up with 1VH and 2H H&A stone (but, I could go higher in color grade).

Which would you choose?
1: 3 VH H&A / G color
2: 1 VH 2 High H&A / F or even E color
Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d for sure go with #1 because I wouldn''t pay for E or F color. Although there is nothing wrong with getting one high on the Brilliancescope anyway.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since we do not know what the BS is measuring, and since the heavy users (retailers) of the BS tell you to not look at the score but at the pics, I think that there is not necessarily a difference between the scores.

There are much better ways to make a difference between Ideal, super-ideal and ''super-super-ideal'', and one of those is to work with a dealer who knows his stuff.

Live long,

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, I hope this isn''t a dumb question,
2.gif
but what is "super-super ideal"?

I mean, really -- how many "supers" can we add before the word starts to mean nothing?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Ocean,

It really depends on what''s causing the stone to take the dip. There are many reasons a stone will not get the triple VH designation most of which are caused by either ...

a. proportion combinations contributing to greater leakage (in a very critical exam)
b. diamonds that are not drawing their light from a high angular spectrum but rather on the lower angular spectrum.
c. azimuth angles that deviate from ideal enough to cause leakage that the Bscope detects and measures.

There are instances where it is not visible to the eye and there are instances where it is visible to the eye. Without seeing the diamond in question it is really impossible to say. A triple VH does however guarantee what are perhaps the rarest optical properties within H&A diamonds on both critical and practical exams in most cases. There are other elements about the cut that must be examined as well but having that is a huge plus imo.

Regards,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/1/2006 1:08:25 PM
Author: Lynn B
Gosh, I hope this isn''t a dumb question,
2.gif
but what is ''super-super ideal''?

I mean, really -- how many ''supers'' can we add before the word starts to mean nothing?
LOL... I hear ya Lynn.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha i don''t know what a super super ideal is either.

in terms of differences...some people say they can see small nuances and some say they can''t. unfortunately it''s all about your eyes, so you may need to see the stones yourself to compare!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe YOU can see a difference between one diamond and another, both cut to perform very well. However, I doubt you or anyone else can use their eyes to tell which one outperforms the other. You need to employ tools to do that. Also, you have to decide if differences only visible to tools really make a difference to you.

In diamonds, invisible differences in color and clarity do make substantial value differences. Most of us believe therefore, that invisible differences in performance then justify value changes too. I don''t know if everyone in the industry yet feels this way, but I and many others believe this is what will happen with values as performance is measured.

In the end, you will still buy what YOU prefer. Only a small number of people will feel obligated to purchase more costly gems based on measures they canot possibly see themselves. Value is determined by the total market for gems. What you decide to buy is strictly personal choice.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience, I see more and more in the stone over time.
With shopping for my first stone, it seemed like they all looked pretty much the same, but the prices were ALL over the place.

I had a lot of trouble discerning whether it was the color or the cut or the size that made any particular stone more attractive.
After wearing it, looking at it and learning more about diamonds, I finally began to see the color, see the clarity and see the cut performance.

But the next time I selected a diamond, I went through the same process, only I had weeded out the dogs first. I still had trouble discerning between slightly different grades of color, cut & clarity. I can always tell when it is bigger, though LOL!!

So I just sorta picked what seemed to be the prettiest one. I've been wearing it and studying it daily for a coupla months and now, if I went back and compared again, I might see more when I look at different stones.

My point is that it could take a while to truly see it any difference with your own eyes. I think it actually takes a lot of practice and focus to see the minute differences that these machines can pick up.

Are you buying it for someone else to wear? You will never probably look at it enought to see the difference. I look at my diamond constantly and it is a slow learning process.

ETA: Simple answer to a simple question? No I don't think the average person could tell the difference.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
not to muddy the waters here but i think that each ideal stone i have had has had a different personality. they all have had stellar specs, but it seems like each time they just got prettier to me or something. this latest one is my favorite, it could be that i also like the size of the stone so that somehow makes it easier for me to really see the personality of the stone as well, the larger the more personality maybe, who knows. at first i was kind of thinking oh this stone doesn't have such an INTENSE look to it as my 1.6c did...but then i realized the larger diameter was just making the sparkles more broad and sweeping, rather than smaller flashes, in a smaller stone. my husband's stone looks WAY different from mine even though both are cut very similarly...his is just much samller! anyway now i adore it, but i think that your eye also gets used to things and then seeks more within the stone, kind of like what dg was saying which is over time you see more in the stone. i totally agree. i am always catching 'new' things in the stone, because i think i am used to how it looks now.

rambling here but my point is that even within each super ideal grade and numbers there are small nuances that may or may not speak to you. if you can choose with your eyes, awesome! but if not, i think you still can't go 'wrong' with a super ideal. good luck.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
well then there is alway insano-ideal which ill get yelled at if I tell ya what it is :}

Above that is storm-ideal and ill really get yelled at if i tell ya bout it :}

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2006 2:45:23 PM
Author: Mara
not to muddy the waters here but i think that each ideal stone i have had has had a different personality. they all have had stellar specs, but it seems like each time they just got prettier to me or something. this latest one is my favorite, it could be that i also like the size of the stone so that somehow makes it easier for me to really see the personality of the stone as well, the larger the more personality maybe, who knows. at first i was kind of thinking oh this stone doesn''t have such an INTENSE look to it as my 1.6c did...but then i realized the larger diameter was just making the sparkles more broad and sweeping, rather than smaller flashes, in a smaller stone. my husband''s stone looks WAY different from mine even though both are cut very similarly...his is just much samller! anyway now i adore it, but i think that your eye also gets used to things and then seeks more within the stone, kind of like what dg was saying which is over time you see more in the stone. i totally agree. i am always catching ''new'' things in the stone, because i think i am used to how it looks now.

rambling here but my point is that even within each super ideal grade and numbers there are small nuances that may or may not speak to you. if you can choose with your eyes, awesome! but if not, i think you still can''t go ''wrong'' with a super ideal. good luck.
i found this case to be true as well mara. well said

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this. All are interesting points and helpful to me.

As some others also mentioned, Mara summed up nicely for me. I think I want to look at a couple stones to see which one "speak to me"!!

by Mara: "rambling here but my point is that even within each super ideal grade and numbers there are small nuances that may or may not speak to you..."

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
not to muddy the waters here but i think that each ideal stone i have had has had a different personality. they all have had stellar specs, but it seems like each time they just got prettier to me or something. this latest one is my favorite, it could be that i also like the size of the stone so that somehow makes it easier for me to really see the personality of the stone as well, the larger the more personality maybe, who knows. at first i was kind of thinking oh this stone doesn''t have such an INTENSE look to it as my 1.6c did...but then i realized the larger diameter was just making the sparkles more broad and sweeping, rather than smaller flashes, in a smaller stone. my husband''s stone looks WAY different from mine even though both are cut very similarly...his is just much samller! anyway now i adore it, but i think that your eye also gets used to things and then seeks more within the stone, kind of like what dg was saying which is over time you see more in the stone. i totally agree. i am always catching ''new'' things in the stone, because i think i am used to how it looks now.
agree 110%. i don''t care how super,super ideal your diamond is,under the same lights you''ll still see different light reactions from each" super duper" ideal cut diamond.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/1/2006 4:25:35 PM
Author: belle

rambling here but my point is that even within each super ideal grade and numbers there are small nuances that may or may not speak to you. if you can choose with your eyes, awesome! but if not, i think you still can''t go ''wrong'' with a super ideal. good luck.
i found this case to be true as well mara. well said
Yes! Well said Mara. Not to muddy the waters even more but it''s funny how we''ll grow accustomed to how a stone appears in certain lighting we most commonly find ourselves in ... then all of a sudden we find ourselves in other lighting we''re not entirely familiar with and BAMMO!!! We find a whole new set of characteristics to observe in the stone.
41.gif

Mara or belle ... have you ever been in a Tower Records store with your diamond?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
not a tower records yet rhino (though we do have one locally so i may have to seek it out!!) but whenever i am in this particular church in downtown, i have NEVER seen any of my diamonds look as blowie blazam bling bling as they do then. literally there is no focusing on anything, your eyes are just ASSAULTED by so many sparkles it seems like the diamond has a million facets. it's amazing and fairly blinding. like being blinded by a flash in a camera for a few moments i feel like i can't really see. i've been in many restaurants, some good, some better, some best for diamonds and a few other churches which are pretty darn amazing as well for sparkles, but that particular church is literally like diamond heaven!!
5.gif
apropos. hehe.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Mara,

Date: 7/2/2006 2:18:11 AM
not a tower records yet rhino (though we do have one locally so i may have to seek it out!!)
You must!

but whenever i am in this particular church in downtown, i have NEVER seen any of my diamonds look as blowie blazam bling bling as they do then. literally there is no focusing on anything, your eyes are just ASSAULTED by so many sparkles it seems like the diamond has a million facets. it''s amazing and fairly blinding. like being blinded by a flash in a camera for a few moments i feel like i can''t really see. i''ve been in many restaurants, some good, some better, some best for diamonds and a few other churches which are pretty darn amazing as well for sparkles, but that particular church is literally like diamond heaven!!
5.gif
apropos. hehe.
LOL. Our church has some excellent spot lighting too. Just curious ... what kind of congregation do you attend? Definitely visit the Tower Records ... walk around the store some (but be careful not to bump over the displays
3.gif
) and you''ll see them freak out like never before. And I thought the l.e.d. lighting we had in our store was strong ... no comparison. Another great store, though not as blingly as Tower is either Home Depot or Ace Hardware. These stores have strong non diffused fluorescent lighting which seems to be darn strong and the bling factor is just amazing there too. I was surprised too cause these places have the lights raised so darn high.

Kind regards,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results