shape
carat
color
clarity

super small fingers/ring/sapphire size? any pics?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Okay, so, I was going to post this in my other recent thread, but felt it was a little different request. Someone can merge them if they feel I''m taking up space ;-)

So, I asked about light colored sapphires a few days back, and was guided to Dana at Master Cut Gems as well as a few other places. I ended up LOVING the stuff on mastercutgems and how quirky and unique some of those sapphires were. I e-mailed Dana asking for some pictures on stones he currently had up, and he replied asking for some more specific information about stone sizes, color preferences, etc. so he could pull some other pieces. Boy, they''re helpful!

Anyhow, he asked what my size preferences were. That''s when I realized I have no clue what size stone I''d like, or for that matter, what size finger I have. So I did some investigating. Apparently, I am a descendent of Skeletor, because my ring finger is a measly 2.5! Yes, you read that right. Size 2 1/2 ring finger. This lead me to some more investigating. Just how large would a 1 ct sapphire look on a finger my size? I tried searching pricescope and google and couldn''t find any good size comparisons on anything other than diamonds. Anybody have small fingers/rings with sapphires in ''em? I am a modest person, don''t want gaudy at all... I asked for sapphires around 1 to 1.5 carat, but would that be "too big"?!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are some ladies with really small fingers around these here parts. I have measured my finger (I got bored one day and was playing with my digital calipers) and it measures about 18mm across. My finger is a size 6.25. I know there are some ladies around here that have really small fingers, but most of them are probably going to be sporting diamonds. So because there is a difference in density between diamonds and sapphires, you''re going to have to look for the millimeter measurement, and compare that way. I know that brown.eyed.girl has around a size 4, and she has a wide variety of rings, and one of the recently engaged Ladies in Waiting has a size 4 ring as well...I am sure there are more that are smaller, but it may take some searching.

Usually, if I''m not sure about a size, I''ll look at this nifty chart from amazon. Link It''s not exactly precise, but I think it gives a reasonable idea of about how big something is--millimeter wise. I''ve been known to hold my hand up to it before...
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah! I just thought of Kittybean who also wears a size 2.5! Here is a link to her engagement ring thread: Link

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Couple pictures here too: Link

ETA: And here: Link

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Wow!!! You are incredible! Thanks so much for all those links. Holding my hand up to that Amazon chart on a 1 carat round diamond makes my finger look even smaller. Looks like it would take up half my finger! Thanks for that, it''s REALLY helpful!

And all those other links too! Thanks!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Kittybean''s is a good thread to look at (good call Freke!). She has teeny fingers and a gorgeous ring!

I have a sapphire ring - it''s a cushion, 1.2 ct. (6.9 x 5.5 mm) - and I wear it on my left middle finger which is a 3.75). I like the size a lot - it hits a great balance between presence without being really blingy. Here''s a pic - sorry for the shadows, but it''s the only one I have that shows more of the hand so you can get a sense of how the stone size looks.

BEGRHSapphire101.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
JustLikeYou- Do keep in mind that sapphires are more dense than diamonds, and thus weigh more to get a certain mm appearance in general.

Here is my almost 2 ct sapphire, which is around 7 mm (on my 3.5 finger). For comparison, the smaller pendant stone is something like 1.2 ct and 6 mm.

DSC0gsdsg0795.JPG

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Browneyedgirl and icekid - wow! Both those rings are amazing! Brown, that blue is SO pretty, but ice, your stone sings to my heart!

Those are fabulous, thank you. It gives me a good idea for what size i''d be looking for.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve linked to this chart before, but I find it really helpful. You can also cut out the sizes if holding up your hand to the paper doesn''t work for you. Looking forward to seeing how your project goes!

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock

I have a larger ring size than you, but I don''t have a lot of width to my finger compared to most who wear my size. Most of my size is due to the meat on the back side of my finger if that makes sense. I recently replaced a very dark sapphire with a citrine. I will see if I can upload it to show you it with the citrine. I cannot recall the weight of the sapphire but I do know it was the same size as my current stone (which is 6x4). I have about a 10x12mm region on my finger that I can fit rings though it looks like I should have more below my wedding band. Where my wedding band sits is as low as it possibly can go. This is what I wear as my current wedding set. I like colored stones and we are working on getting me a lightly tinted diamond ring in the future in a whole new setting. Just to give you an idea my anniversary ring is just about 3mm wide.

I did do a quick search on the internet and obviously depending on how it is cut, my sapphire would be about .6-.7 carats. I know this is kind of not quite what you were asking for, but unfortunately I do not have pictures of the ring with a sapphire in it anymore.

doiogidcopaiaehklc.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
To give you a sense of how different sizes look (albeit on a larger finger than yours!
2.gif
) here are a few colored stones:

This is a 4.8 mm, 0.44 ct. blue-green tourmaline, bezeled (which adds some size and finger coverage), size 3.25

BEGTourmalineStackingRing.jpg

A 5.55 mm, 0.65 ct. grossular garnet, also bezeled - size 3.25

BEGGarnetStackingRing.jpg

An 8.1 mm, 2.41 ct. blue spinel, size 3.5

BEGBlueSpinel103.jpg

An 8.5 mm, 2.60 ct. green tourmaline, size 3.25

BEGEtsyTourmalineRing4.jpg

And WAY huge - my mom's amethyst halo ring - the amethyst is 10 mm, 5.04 ct. (and with the halo, I have no idea - maybe 13 mm?), size 3.75

BEGAmethystHalo75.jpg

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Oh, look at all that color! Brown.Eyed.Girl, you''re my hero for that. Thank you so much! That definitely gives me a better idea! Based on that, I''m pretty sure a carat or a little less would be best for me. I''m not a ring/jewelry person normally, but all these beautiful colors might change me! Now it''s just off to the part of browsing around and looking at what pretty stones I can find!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As general reference:
1 ct sapphire = 6 mm round
1.5 ct sapphire = 6.5 mm round

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you worry that the stone would be too large, measure width across your ring finger and get a stone that''s not wider than a third of that (milimeter) size. That''ll probably turn out OK, if you want something larger, go closer to half of the finger''s width. Also, remember that darker colors make stones seem smaller than those of the same shape/size but of lighter color. Setting also makes a difference in size perception, as bezeled stones will seem larger than those set in more open settings (like prongs).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results