shape
carat
color
clarity

Super ideals

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I have heard about Super ideal cut stones and wanted to know the difference between a AGS000 with 0 light perfomance and a super ideal cut stone ? I know I have seen them somewhere here before but can''t find them, so can someone post the specs for table, depth, crown and pavillion that I should be aiming for to get the best possible cut. Any other pointers as far as specs would go is greatly appreciated. Maybe we could link this information into the helpful info thread?! Thanks in advance!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
As far as I know an AGS0 is a super ideal stone. That is really what you should focus on to get the best cut possible, as AGS is the strictest grading agency around and the "0" is the best ranking they give.

gontama

Shiny_Rock
Replace "Super" with "H&A". Most would agree that an AGS0 diamond with precise H&A optical symmetry is the one. Grading lab actually does not matter. A diamond with great light return and optical symmetry without excessive girdle treatment would qualify. By definition, AGS0 should meet the light performance requirement. Hence H&A AGS0 is a super ideal. There are many GIA super ideal as well.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
While the AGS000 with 0 light performance designation is operationally defined by AGS according to it's testing methods, the term "Super Ideal" is a more general term used/abused by many in and out of the trade to try to gain a competitive advantage in selling...it has no widely understood definition or broad acceptance by the trade.

Everyone has their own idea of what the term "Super Ideal" means, so like in any discussion, if you define your terms clearly, it can be usefully used. We've seen (above) what one definition is thought to be, and I might use it to define a sub-set of AGS0, which I might find particularly attractive whether a round, Princess, square emerald cut, etc....it just depends.

gontama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 4:21:06 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
While the AGS000 with 0 light performance designation is operationally defined by AGS according to it''s testing methods, the term ''Super Ideal'' is a more general term used/abused by many in and out of the trade to try to gain a competitive advantage in selling...it has no widely understood definition or broad acceptance by the trade.

Everyone has their own idea of what the term ''Super Ideal'' means, so like in any discussion, if you define your terms clearly, it can be usefully used. We''ve seen (above) what one definition is thought to be, and I might use it to define a sub-set of AGS0, which I might find particularly attractive...it just depends.
Understand. The term "super ideal" is not defined by anyone anywhere in anyway. Concept of super ideal, as I remember, emerged with precise optical symmetry, potentially with intention to differentiate from then AGS-ideal. My response is simply to provide the OP with "probably-commonly-accepted" criteria "in this forum".

johngalt2004

Rough_Rock
This site draws a distinction between "superideals" and "H&A ideals". It is not simple. Depends on which vendor/expert you ask.

http://www.niceice.com/hearts_arrows.htm

In my web reading, there seems to be a lot of consensus that proportions: 55-57 Table, 59-62 Depth, 40.7-40.9 PA and 34-35 CA as being super-ideal, with or without H&A.

Do a lot of reading and decide for yourself what you believe. Is fun.

gontama

Shiny_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/hearts_indx.asp

explains WF's definition of H&A.

http://goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Shape/RoundHeartsAndArrows/

GOG says the nice pattern can be seen by naked eye under diffuse light, which I strongly agree.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/11/1/Hearts--Arrows-Diamonds---Its-not-all-about-light-return.aspx

Storm's article which I agree too.

After reading this and the above from niceice, you can decide what you want, rather than what super ideal is. Some may disagree but I believe a nice h&a stone does differ from others visually. One is what paul@infinity says, which is scintilation is different (more eye pleasing). And if I carefully look at each arrow head/shaft (to enjoy), there is a difference (to my eye) between h&a and others, regardless of light return performance.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Thanks everyone for the fast reply. I feel better now knowing I am looking at AGS000 stones, 0 light performance, H&A. The specs I have been searching for fall into the ones you gave so I can breath easy knowing I am def on the right track and will have a fantastic stone! Thanks again!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results