shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for setting O-P MRB 10.5mm stone

dogluvr

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
I have been a long, long time lurker and have recently inherited a lovely stone that I could use some help with. The original setting is very high (stone would be over 1.5 cms from the finger) and likely from the 80's or early 90's. TBF it is not well constructed so there is no salvaging it.

The stone is a GIA O-P and on a white background in diffused natural light, has a very light lemon yellow colour. It tends to reflect more white when in brighter light but I think that is due to the cut. It is not a XXX which I think is because it is shallow, but still sparkly and VVS1 clarity with no fluor.

Is it possible that setting it with a yellow gallery or "cup" will help bring out more yellow? What about rose gold? It needs some sort of protective setting as the girdle is thin but a halo might be overkill at this size? With the RB cut, it seemed doing a vintage style setting might not look right and I do tend to lean toward more of a clean line. What do you think?

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello dogluvr,

Can you post a picture? That may help.

Setting the stone in yellow gold or rose gold would likely do exactly what you are looking for in terms of color.

As you look for settings consider a thin bezel, it may be perfect for protecting the girdle and will likely enhance your clean, minimal style. Half bezels are also gaining popularity. You may want to try on rings at your local jewelers to see if you like the look of a bezel setting for a stone of a comparable size.

Q

Queenie60

img_2007_0.jpg

This is a photo of my OEC "Q" colored stone. It is set in an 18k yellow gold cup, surrounded by a platinum halo. I like how the yellow gold cup brings out more color in the stone.

dogluvr

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, I will see if I can load a picture. Queenie, that ring is gorgeous! I wonder if I could pull something like that off.

dogluvr

Rough_Rock
I tried to upload using photobucket - which is not cooperating at all tonight :wall: - but I get an error. It says I need to use pricescope to upload. Could someone help me, where do I upload my pics for this forum?

ETA - I think I got it!

This is the O-P vs 2ct GIA J under artificial light. I don't think it represents the colours accurately though. IRL I see much more yellow in the O-P, especially from the side.

img_20161212_185654.jpg img_20161212_185459.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results