shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for new setting for Widget's tourmaline?

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
I'm an infrequent lurker/poster nowadays but was more active a few years ago.

A year or so ago, after some pursuit (long story) I purchased this ring from Widget. She is/was a PS'er with an amazing collection. I will spare you the sad tale of the 4 ct real Brazilian paraiba that I SHOULD have purchased, but didn't. I will regret that forever, but don't we all have stories like that?

That said, this is a 3.7 ct windex blue Mozambique tourmaline cut by Gene back in ~2007. Widget had it set by Leon Mege. It is a gorgeous stone and I dearly love it. However the setting is too large and due to the pave, cannot be sized down enough. Also I prefer a simpler setting that I can wear more often.

Just yesterday, I emailed Victor Canera about a variation on his Grymera for this stone. Today I see this has recently been done by Acinom for her stunning green tourmaline by Gene! Not trying to copy, honest!

Anyone else have any suggestions? I think I like the EW orientation but would be open to NS. Prefer claw prongs, smooth platinum, simple. I think I'd eliminate the side cuffs on the Canera design.

Or…should I use it for a pendant???? That's been on my mind off and on. It has a teensy chip I just noticed in the crown; frequent wear on the hand will probably not serve it well. Please suggest pendant and/or ring ideas!

_26622.jpg

_26623.jpg

_26624.jpg

_26628.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a stone, thanks for sharing! :love: :love: :love:

I can see it in the same VC setting as Acinom's Tourmaline if a simpler setting is desired in the N-S orientation.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the new ring.

DK :love:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, that is a pricescoper's name I haven't heard in a very long time: Widget, a wonderful woman that I got to meet at a SF GTG many years ago!

you are indeed lucky to have this stone/ring.

I agree that your tourmaline is not meant for daily wear.....sigh.

what to do? perhaps a pendant?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mimi72|1423010761|3826902 said:
Just yesterday, I emailed Victor Canera about a variation on his Grymera for this stone. Today I see this has recently been done by Acinom for her stunning green tourmaline by Gene! Not trying to copy, honest!

Acinom has fantastic rings...any of which I wouldn't mind a copy of. Of course, I wish I had the designer's eye so many of you have. The Grymera setting does sound perfect for your stated preference...simply and classy.

:love: :love: :love: the stone

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would prefer to set this in a pendant, perhaps with some suggestions from Victor Canera? I am partial to Art Deco, but I think this would look great in any style of jewelry. Would you consider it setting it with blackened gold, or onyx to give the turquoise color even more of a pop? Leon Mege has a few windex colored tourmalines that are set in rings with black as a contrast.

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for looking and taking the time to reply!

movie zombie - I never got to meet Widget in person, but she was lovely in the emails we exchanged! She was first-generation PS!

pregcurious - I'm with you on the pendant. I actually got distracted by ring ideas but had always thought of doing a pendant with it. Do you think a stone like this would look lively enough in a pendant? I suppose it all depends on the setting. I know the Leon design you are talking about with the blackened effect. It does make the blue pop. I'd be open to that. I will ask Victor for suggestions. I prefer simple but modern and unique if anyone has any ideas.

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
What about something like this, using black diamonds or spinel? That would make the blue stand out incredibly!

(LOVE your stone, by the way. What an amazing colour!). :love:

You might want to consider having it made as an enhancer, rather than simply a pendant with a standard bale. That way you can wear it with pearls or a ribbon or black leather, to give it a bit more versatility than just wearing a chain. I'm currently having the zircon in my profile pic set as an enhancer with a variation on this sort of art-deco style. Might help with ideas?

images5teu9g53.jpg

_26635.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think it would be lively enough for a pendant.

By modern, what were you thinking? How about black and white diamonds?

r5798_1_0271_0002wx_copy.jpg

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
I just found the Penny Preville Charlotte with blackened platinum halo. If done right, I wonder if this kind of halo could make the stone pop in a pendant without being super black like the elements in Leon's paraiba cab setting. Some subtle contrast.

intothemystic - I hadn't heard of an enhancer before but it's a good idea. I definitely don't want a traditional, long visible bale.

pregcurious -- not sure what I am thinking yet :) I have to dig through my old inspiration photos for pendants and see what's there. I know a halo is neither unique nor modern - I wouldn't have done it in a ring as it'd be too large for my taste - but in a pendant it might work. I do like bezel settings but probably not for this stone.

Not really a big fan of black diamonds.

penny-preville-engagment-ring-4-e1332722596210.jpg

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
**Deleted - bad idea. Too tired, off to bed now **

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember that stone and when she got the ring. I believe she really wanted it in rose gold, to bring out the windex color even more, but Leon went in another direction.

It's still a very nice setting, and a well made ring guard could make it fit your finger, unless you really want to invest in a new setting for it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that bright blue, but I'd seriously consider doing it in YG.

I vote pendant as well. May as well try to save it from as much damage as possible!

Gorgeous stone. I remember it as well.

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock
The glow is positively electric!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone!
If it is feasible I would choose for sizing beads as the setting is gorgeous.
Thanks for your kind words about my ring. And I can truly recommend the adapted Grymera. I am surely enjoying mine: it has a simple and chique look.
I am a true ring girl, so I would choose to set it into a ring and be careful with it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget isn't only a wonderful person but owns an enviable jewellery collection. I would follow Widget's initial gut feel to set it in rose gold which complements the wonderful colour of that tourmaline. In addition, I would halo it if setting it as a ring stone as it is slightly more protective. It seems a shame such beauty cannot be appreciated by the wearer as a pendant stone.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shock: :shock: :shock: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Lucky, lucky woman! I'm super jealous. I would set it in whatever colour metal you wear most often, it'll hold its own in anything. You could wear a pendant on a longer chain, so you could look down at it, but then it might be just as prone to whacking, e.g. on a desk as you sit down, etc. I'm also a ring girl, and would want to look at that thing ALL. THE. TIME. A halo is a good idea to protect it somewhat, but doesn't really fall in line with your desire for simplicity, unless you do an engraved halo - as in, the metal extends beyond the stone and frames it with some nice engraving, but no diamonds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1423062610|3827185 said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Lucky, lucky woman! I'm super jealous. I would set it in whatever colour metal you wear most often, it'll hold its own in anything. You could wear a pendant on a longer chain, so you could look down at it, but then it might be just as prone to whacking, e.g. on a desk as you sit down, etc. I'm also a ring girl, and would want to look at that thing ALL. THE. TIME. A halo is a good idea to protect it somewhat, but doesn't really fall in line with your desire for simplicity, unless you do an engraved halo - as in, the metal extends beyond the stone and frames it with some nice engraving, but no diamonds.

Good idea, and it would have an antique flair.

You have to be careful with elongated cuts like that, as they do have a propensity to get chipped, especially in tourmaline.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1423061464|3827174 said:
Widget isn't only a wonderful person but owns an enviable jewellery collection. I would follow Widget's initial gut feel to set it in rose gold which complements the wonderful colour of that tourmaline. In addition, I would halo it if setting it as a ring stone as it is slightly more protective. It seems a shame such beauty cannot be appreciated by the wearer as a pendant stone.

understatement!

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
I agree it would look good in rose gold, but I wear platinum far more often. My favorite earrings are platinum and I tend to wear the same necklace / earrings every day. On the other hand I don't have any rose gold so maybe I can be converted.

If memory serves, the ring is size 7 and I need 5.75-6. I don't think sizing beads can take it down that much. Not sure about a ring guard but honestly I'd just prefer a different setting.

Hmmm....lots to think about. It is true that as a pendant, I wouldn't get to see it really and that would be a bummer! But maybe on a long chain it'd work.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky you, that is a wondrous gem :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mimi72|1423072647|3827287 said:
I agree it would look good in rose gold, but I wear platinum far more often. My favorite earrings are platinum and I tend to wear the same necklace / earrings every day. On the other hand I don't have any rose gold so maybe I can be converted.

If memory serves, the ring is size 7 and I need 5.75-6. I don't think sizing beads can take it down that much. Not sure about a ring guard but honestly I'd just prefer a different setting.

Hmmm....lots to think about. It is true that as a pendant, I wouldn't get to see it really and that would be a bummer! But maybe on a long chain it'd work.

I think rose gold blends well with white metal, or you could do a two tone (rose gold head, platinum shank). I mix metals all the time, and stones for that matter. :loopy:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
A truely beautiful gem, I would still set it as a ring so I can stare at it all day long.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
You are so lucky to be the new owner of Widget's gorgeous tourmaline. I actually saw the stone in person. Widget brought it to one of the Northern Cal Pricescope GTG in San Francisco. The stone will make a beautiful pendant or ring. Even though it will not be an everyday ring, I would set it in a ring if it is mine. The color and the glow are so mesmerizing, I would want to stare at it all the time.

AN

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous stone, I vote for a ring as well. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
wow thats a beautiful stone, it glows so much you could use it to see in the dark! such a shame the setting is too big, is it too big for sizing beads?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You are lucky to have Widget's ring. I have seen it in person and it is beautiful beyond words. The stone is incredible!! Are you sure Leon could not size it for you? It will make a gorgeous piece of jewelry no matter what you do with it.

I will always wonder why Widget let this beauty go. I would not have been able to as the stone is amazing just to stare at.

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
TL - Two tone, that's an idea. I will google some inspiration photos for that.

chel180 - I thought sizing beads could not take it down 1.5 sizes. But now that I investigated, I see that large ones probably can. Still, the sad truth is the setting doesn't do much for me. I'd rather change it.

ArtNouveau - Thank you for your thoughts! Your amazing Moz tourm ring by Leon is what kickstarted my love and search for paraiba-type tourmaline! Do you wear yours much? Any damage? I would mimic your setting but my wedding ring/solitaire by Leon has graduated french cut sides so they would be too similar.

Swingirl - I asked Leon (twice) about sizing it and the answer was categorically no. The pave goes almost all the way around the shank, and sizing it that much (he said) would ruin the integrity.

I don't know why Widget sold it, but I can tell you how I got it. I'd been obsessed with paraiba-type tourmalines for some time - probably since seeing Art Nouveau's iconic creation.
1. I first saw Widget's ring listed for sale on Gene's site in about Jan 2011. She and I emailed a few times, but the price was high and the setting too large, and Leon said no to sizing, so I just kind of let it go.
2. In Jan 2012 I found an amazeballs Brazilian paraiba with top color online (AGTA certified origin but without full report), originally purchased by a woman who had passed away and consigned to a jewelry shop. I posted here asking for advice and got an abundance of caution so cancelled the sale. As I said in my OP that will forever be the one that got away. I think of it 4 or 5 times a year with a wrench in my gut. It was pricey of course, but hardly more than I ended up paying for Widget's ring later (Moz origin less ctw). My search continued but by that time I accepted the fact that for what I wanted I would have to pony up the coin.
3. Right after missing out on the paraiba, I emailed Widget asking if her ring was still for sale but didn't get a reply. I assumed it had sold.
4. In Oct 2012, in one final desperate attempt, I emailed Widget again asking about the ring. That time she replied, still had it and agreed to sell. By that time her price was even more (she's not stupid!) but I didn't care anymore. A few weeks later it was on my hand!!

Goes to show -- persistence pays off. And that pieces posted on this site can really get attention - I'd never have known about this ring if it weren't for being a PS addict (off and on).

True story.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember when Gene had that stone for sale. I even remember what it looked like before he heated it (virtually all paraibas are heated to get that neon blue). I think he once said it was the finest gem he ever cut, so you'e very fortunate to have it. It's hard to find clean paraibas these days, let alone precision cut ones. I'm sure whatever you decide to do with it, it will be lovely. I would love setting it with side traps or baguettes. :naughty:

http://jckmarketplace.jckonline.com/__novaimages/470757?v=635205635069300000

Congrats!

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
Not to Hijack, but first, AMAZING stone...second, how is Widget? I have been gone awhile, but I miss her Kaleigh, Mara.....when I was UCLABelle...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results