shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for Atlanta area, shopping for a diamond

CinqueTerre

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I have a friend who is starting to get serious about proposing, but has no idea what he wants as he is not educated on diamonds. I have started helping him learn and at this point he is not sure if he wants to go with a old European cut stone or a modern round brilliant. He has shown pictures of both to his girlfriend and she likes the look of both of them, so they'd like to see them in person to decide. Does anyone know of a jeweler in the Atlanta area that they would recommend for him to work with? I know that online is a great option too, but as far as just taking a look at what's out there and making a decision on what cut, he needs to be able to see them in person. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I would really recommend they work with good old gold and ask for a video comparing the two.

Or you'll have to order an OEC stone and take it with you to a jeweler - the odds that there is a B&M who keeps both good OECs and good MRBs in stock is pretty slim.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my nieces & her husband live in Atlanta. They suggest that, for a preliminary foray, your friends go to Buckhead to visit
* Saks Fifth Avenue, who is the only Hearts on Fire retailer in the Atlanta metro area. Most people do not want to pay the premium for a HoF-branded stone, but this would be a good introduction to seeing well-cut stones in real life.

* Solomon Brothers and Union Diamond (who happen to also be PS sponsors and online vendors):
https://www.solomonbrothers.com/hours-directions
https://www.uniondiamond.com/about-union-diamond/flagship-store

Both of these jewelers will have a myriad of shapes and settings to "audition", which I think is really important before undertaking serious shopping; what we like in the abstract, based on photos, or on others' hands may end not being what we like most on our own hand in real life. My niece recommends calling ahead for an appointment, and avoid going to either place on the weekend, even with an appointment, because they are usually crazy busy then.

None of my nieces likes old European cut or old mine cut diamonds, so my Atlanta niece doesn't know who might be a good local source for antique or vintage diamonds/rings. But she will ask her office colleagues if they have any recommendations for that.

CinqueTerre

Rough_Rock
kb1gra|1476224045|4085876 said:
I would really recommend they work with good old gold and ask for a video comparing the two.

Or you'll have to order an OEC stone and take it with you to a jeweler - the odds that there is a B&M who keeps both good OECs and good MRBs in stock is pretty slim.

That's very true! I will definitely suggest Good Old Gold as I have heard nothing but fantastic things.

CinqueTerre

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1476231588|4085938 said:
One of my nieces & her husband live in Atlanta. They suggest that, for a preliminary foray, your friends go to Buckhead to visit
* Saks Fifth Avenue, who is the only Hearts on Fire retailer in the Atlanta metro area. Most people do not want to pay the premium for a HoF-branded stone, but this would be a good introduction to seeing well-cut stones in real life.

* Solomon Brothers and Union Diamond (who happen to also be PS sponsors and online vendors):
https://www.solomonbrothers.com/hours-directions
https://www.uniondiamond.com/about-union-diamond/flagship-store

Both of these jewelers will have a myriad of shapes and settings to "audition", which I think is really important before undertaking serious shopping; what we like in the abstract, based on photos, or on others' hands may end not being what we like most on our own hand in real life. My niece recommends calling ahead for an appointment, and avoid going to either place on the weekend, even with an appointment, because they are usually crazy busy then.

None of my nieces likes old European cut or old mine cut diamonds, so my Atlanta niece doesn't know who might be a good local source for antique or vintage diamonds/rings. But she will ask her office colleagues if they have any recommendations for that.

Thank you so much!! That is absolutely helpful and I appreciate your niece asking around her office. I agree that it's important to see the stones in real life and try out the shapes and cuts on your hand as you never really know how you feel until you see it in person. I will pass this info along! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results