carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for ACA Round Diamond

Jcs496

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone,

I am looking for an ACA from WF to put in the Tacori 2620 rose gold setting. My budget is around 6k for the stone and I'm looking for the carat to be between 0.9 and 1.1.

Can anyone please share their opinion on these? If you see a diamond that I don't have listed that you would suggest, please share! Thank you for all the information this forum provides.

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...antela-crown-diamond-engagement-ring-3023.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...70301,3955165,3936450,3934801,3974678,3646312

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd personally pick the 1.013 I SI1.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for the biggest (in mm) ACA I could afford, as long as it's eye-clean. So I'd go for the I/SI1 in this case. My sweet spot in ACA (since I have one) is I/VS2, but they don't have anything closer to 1ct for 6k.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can go up slightly higher than 6k($150 - $200) theres a 1.1ct J VS2. There's something special about a 1ct stone and in rose gold the J will look great.

Jcs496

Rough_Rock
Premium
If you can go up slightly higher than 6k($150 - $200) theres a 1.1ct J VS2. There's something special about a 1ct stone and in rose gold the J will look great.

So you think with an ACA diamond my money is best spent dropping in color for more carat? I really like that 1.1, and the extra size over a .9 would be nice. Since it is a rose gold setting, will the difference in an I or J be noticable?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you think with an ACA diamond my money is best spent dropping in color for more carat? I really like that 1.1, and the extra size over a .9 would be nice. Since it is a rose gold setting, will the difference in an I or J be noticable?

Really depends on the wearers color tolerance. Most people start to see tint in I color stones, however, that doesn't mean that they are bothered by it. I'd ask WF to pull both diamonds and tell you if the 1.1 J is a high/true/low J. They could also take side by side pics from the top and face down from the side so you could see the color. If it's a true-high J I would probably prefer the larger size but would reconsider if they tell you it's a low J/closer to a K.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jcs496 The I VS1 .928 gets my vote simply due to the clarity and location of the inclusions compared to the others. I’d normally go for the larger size since it’s in budget, but given it says ‘inquire’ for clarity, I would think that might be questionable. Ask WF what they think/see - if they feel the inclusions won’t be too noticeable or are within your tolerance, then I’d be on board with that one.

The only other thing I’d ask about (if you decide to go with the J @doberman mentioned) is *if* the accent melee diamonds in the ring setting would be too high in color to match up nicely or if that would be noticeable, if the wearer is color sensitive. I would think the difference in color might stand out more in a RG setting vs. a white or yellow metal, but others can chime in about that. I didn’t see what diamond color melee are in the Tacori ring, and I’m a fan of lower color diamonds (e.g., J-M) and I like size :twisted2: but given the setting choice, that would be worth asking about if you go that route.

Jcs496

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Jcs496 The I VS1 .928 gets my vote simply due to the clarity and location of the inclusions compared to the others. I’d normally go for the larger size since it’s in budget, but given it says ‘inquire’ for clarity, I would think that might be questionable. Ask WF what they think/see - if they feel the inclusions won’t be too noticeable or are within your tolerance, then I’d be on board with that one.

The only other thing I’d ask about (if you decide to go with the J @doberman mentioned) is *if* the accent melee diamonds in the ring setting would be too high in color to match up nicely or if that would be noticeable, if the wearer is color sensitive. I would think the difference in color might stand out more in a RG setting vs. a white or yellow metal, but others can chime in about that. I didn’t see what diamond color melee are in the Tacori ring, and I’m a fan of lower color diamonds (e.g., J-M) and I like size :twisted2: but given the setting choice, that would be worth asking about if you go that route.

Good points! I will talk to WF and see what they think. This is stressful!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Accent melee will always look a bit lighter than a main stone. And the gold - rose or yellow, will make a J look less warm.

@Jcs496

A poster recently spoke about getting a J color ACA recently. Found the thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/upgrade-3-112-j-vs2-aca.237831/

For me, I'd rather have the 1.1 J. No one - absolutely no one - is going to look at that stone and think "ew yellow". They'll be too busy counting the flashes of light lol.

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps whiteflash could photograph that J stone with something in rose gold near/adjacent/behind it.

Did she specifically request that tacori setting?

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My avatar is a J in rose gold

Jcs496

Rough_Rock
Premium
Perhaps whiteflash could photograph that J stone with something in rose gold near/adjacent/behind it.

Theyre going to send me pictures of it tomorrow. Also, the 1.013 wasnt eye clean. And yes, but if you have any suggestions id be happy to look!

Jcs496

Rough_Rock
Premium

Are there any concerns over this setting we may not know about? This ring has everything she wanted and liked it more than similar styles from gabriel and verragio. It is pricey though..

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any concerns over this setting we may not know about? This ring has everything she wanted and liked it more than similar styles from gabriel and verragio. It is pricey though..
@Jcs496, I have a Tacori wedding set that I have worn for 11 years, and I have lost a pave diamond twice in those 11 years which Tacori has fixed for the cost of shipping. I've worn this set daily for that time. I have a second Tacori that I wear as a right hand ring (not daily) and have never had a pave diamond fall out. Some people wouldn't want to deal with the possibility of losing pave from time to time. To me, it's not a problem. I love my Tacoris and I love the style you are looking at!

Jcs496

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Jcs496, I have a Tacori wedding set that I have worn for 11 years, and I have lost a pave diamond twice in those 11 years which Tacori has fixed for the cost of shipping. I've worn this set daily for that time. I have a second Tacori that I wear as a right hand ring (not daily) and have never had a pave diamond fall out. Some people wouldn't want to deal with the possibility of losing pave from time to time. To me, it's not a problem. I love my Tacoris and I love the style you are looking at!

Thats good to hear. I actually liked this ring a little better without the pave stones but thats a must for her. Thanks for your input!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JCS,
Did the rep at WF pull the stone 1.013 for you and determine that from 10" this stone is not eyeclean? I just wanted to ask if you discussed with the WF Gemologist if it was due to the crystal on the table. Or was there more that was not noted on the AGS cert?

Curious as why it wasn't determined to be eyeclean.:confused: And what WF said.

-C4C

Jcs496

Rough_Rock
Premium

Here is what WF said:

"The 1.013 I SI1 did not meet our eye clean standard and may have an inclusion that can be seen at 10 inches depending on your eyesight. I can pull the diamond from our safe tomorrow and give you a bit more information on the inclusion."

Ill share any other information once i talk to her tomorrow..

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for responding JCS. Humm, I hope you don't mind me talking out loud...but WF ACA's diamonds are for light performance, not necessarily for clarity which this stone was graded at SI1. There are stones which WF has in inventory graded SI1, but the inclusions are less apparent than others.

What's more important though is what your preferences are. Not the clarity grade by AGS (IF, VVS, VS, SI) , but your preferences. What type of inclusions can you accept and the location? All diamonds will have inclusions (except of course IF, but you will pay a premium for IF stones).

I thought I just throw this old post up for you about Pricescopers discussion regarding inclusions and their opinions. It helped me to think about what is acceptable to me and I hope this helps you.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...re-inclusions-can-i-get-some-opinions.219913/

-C4C

Jcs496

Rough_Rock
Premium
Accent melee will always look a bit lighter than a main stone. And the gold - rose or yellow, will make a J look less warm.

@Jcs496

For me, I'd rather have the 1.1 J. No one - absolutely no one - is going to look at that stone and think "ew yellow". They'll be too busy counting the flashes of light lol.

That diamond is gorgeous. I think you're right, and I don't know if it's just a mental thing, but I would like to buy >1 carat. I think it would be fine for me to step down in color to achieve that. Hopefully I will get some pictures soon and info on if they would say its a higher or lower J.

Thanks for responding JCS. Humm, I hope you don't mind me talking out loud...but WF ACA's diamonds are for light performance, not necessarily for clarity which this stone was graded at SI1. There are stones which WF has in inventory graded SI1, but the inclusions are less apparent than others.

What's more important though is what your preferences are. Not the clarity grade by AGS (IF, VVS, VS, SI) , but your preferences. What type of inclusions can you accept and the location? All diamonds will have inclusions (except of course IF, but you will pay a premium for IF stones).

I thought I just throw this old post up for you about Pricescopers discussion regarding inclusions and their opinions. It helped me to think about what is acceptable to me and I hope this helps you.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...re-inclusions-can-i-get-some-opinions.219913/

-C4C

Good info! I would be happy with an eye clean Si1 and would prefer for any inclusions to be on the perimeter (small crystals/needles/feathers). The 0.928 diamond is sold now, but I think that one was a pretty good example of this.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I understand it, a diamond will not make the cut for ACA if it is not eye-clean. No one has going to look at the ring in a loupe lol. But people will notice size most of all.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good info! I would be happy with an eye clean Si1 and would prefer for any inclusions to be on the perimeter (small crystals/needles/feathers). The 0.928 diamond is sold now, but I think that one was a pretty good example of this.

BUMMER! :(2 We can try to find another one.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wall:My bad - I totally glossed over the fact you were looking for ACA-only.

Attachments

• 670ADEF5-495E-4AC8-BC3E-E013CE2FC419.jpeg
    670ADEF5-495E-4AC8-BC3E-E013CE2FC419.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Jcs496

ditto. her "J" looks whiter than my "I"

I'd ask WF to line up the I/SI1 and the J mentioned above to you can see the color difference

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a thread of J/K/L diamonds set in various types of settings: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-rings-with-j-k-l-colored-diamonds.237380/

While you cannot go on pictures alone because of so many photographic variables, they can perhaps give you an idea of how some J’s look solo vs. haloed, different metals, etc. And I don’t suggest that to scare you off from a “J” (I love lower colors personally); if anything, it’s to offer some ‘comfort’ that a well-cut J is a beautiful diamond! :love:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask if they can send you a photo of both diamonds side by side. Remember diamond color is judged with the stone face down, but you will be looking at it face up. Face up can be surprisingly lighter.

Jcs496

Rough_Rock
Premium
They're going to get their production team to send some photos of the J/I diamonds together, as well as the J next to the halo in the setting since I expressed some concern about it maybe looking a little different. The rep did say the J is a great value if I am looking to step up to ~1.1ct. I will say that WF's customer service has been beyond everyone else I have worked with. I wish I could fly out there to look in person!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As I understand it, a diamond will not make the cut for ACA if it is not eye-clean. No one has going to look at the ring in a loupe lol. But people will notice size most of all.
To clarify our policy, A CUT ABOVE diamonds are examined carefully for clarity. Any clarity features that diminish light performance are disqualifiers for the brand. However, eye clean is specific to whether an inclusion is technically visible to the eye of a normal observer. (face up, from 10", in normal overhead lighting, to a person with 20/20 vision).
We are quite strict in assessing this because it is very important to many shoppers. And some people are near sighted and can focus closer than 10 ".
Most Si diamonds in our stock are eye-clean and will be marked as such in the details on the page. But even those that are by our standard not technically eye-clean, would be considered eye-clean by most casual observers. That is, you will typically have to study the stone quite closely to be able to pick up the inclusion.
The main reason that eye clean cannot be a universal requirement for A CUT ABOVE is that we stock quite a few large stones. Since clarity grading is a relative call, not an absolute call, the size of the allowable inclusion in a 2 or 3 ct stone is larger than in a .50ct. As allowable inclusion size in a given grade (say Si1) increases with the relative size of the diamond, so does the ability of the human eye to resolve that inclusion. We would have to eliminate many if not all larger Si diamonds (and even some Vs2) if we enforced a strict eye-clean requirement across the board.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results