shape
carat
color
clarity

Sucker for bling needs advice

emeraldhunter

Rough_Rock
I have been married six years, and our home was burglarized a year and a half ago. The thief took my wife's vintage engagement ring. I am including the picture so that you know my taste. We really liked the ring from day 1, and we still really liked it five years later.
2015-11-07_10_0.jpg
I am rarely struck by jewelry, but this ring on ebay just did a number on me:
cocktail ring.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-19...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Am I being a sucker for bling, or would this be a great surprise for my wife? I am checking on the return policy.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a whole lotta look.. and it’s very cool but I can’t help wondering how wearable it would be...

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it, very “Sputnik” looking.
Two things though-
1. It is a size 10, that’s like a huge size and depending on your wife’s finger size it may not be able to be resized down enough and
2. It is a very high, and I mean towering height, ring. So that’s not practical for every day wear, more as a “going out” cocktail / statement ring

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry about the theft of your wife’s engagement ring. If it were me, I would ask before I spent that kind of money on the ebay ring. Her original ring looks balanced and geometric to me and the ebay ring has more of a freeform feel. The color of the greens in the two rings is different. It would help to know what exactly “grabbed” her about the first ring.

emeraldhunter

Rough_Rock
I think we liked the uniqueness of the engagement ring, and it was kind of a not too gaudy show stopper. Because it was an emerald, it was not for everyday use, and we always felt really dressed up when she wore the ring and we went out.
So, we are not looking for subtle, but maybe tastefully flashy?
I am now a little torn. Do you think it is a solid value at that price point?
Thanks!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you both like unique show stoppers the ebay ring fits the bill. She could wear it with a lot of outfits because all of the colored stones. Looks like the vendor has a good rating and return policy. It is a size 10, is that her finger size? Seller says it can be sized, but I would be concerned about resizing more than 2 sizes - just my personal opinion, since the scale of the stones in the setting might look too big / small if the shank is sized dramatically.
I looked at Loupetroop to check prices but didn’t see anything similar. There are three rings in your price point I thought you might want to look at since they are vintage. Most Loupetroop sales are final so you definitely would want to get her opinion if you think you might want to go this route.
1778C7F2-AB34-4057-8FCC-298C243D44D2.png 9729D4E7-43E8-46D8-ACE0-81836790C55C.png 87CC093C-C269-428C-A0FA-58BF071505A7.png

Lastly, I saw a couple of vintage emerald rings on Etsy that might interest you:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/236099...search_query=cluster ring&ref=sr_gallery-5-30

https://www.etsy.com/listing/506160...search_query=cluster ring&ref=sr_gallery-7-39

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let us know what happens and I hope she loves the ebay ring. It is a showstopper!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I have been married six years, and our home was burglarized a year and a half ago. The thief took my wife's vintage engagement ring. I am including the picture so that you know my taste. We really liked the ring from day 1, and we still really liked it five years later.
2015-11-07_10_0.jpg
I am rarely struck by jewelry, but this ring on ebay just did a number on me:
cocktail ring.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1960s-18k-White-Gold-MOD-Diamond-Cocktail-Ring-Ruby-Emerald-Sz-10-ATOMIC/362354053677?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Am I being a sucker for bling, or would this be a great surprise for my wife? I am checking on the return policy.

I love the original e-ring, which is so, so beautiful. Very old Hollywood and glamorous. I am sorry that it was lost.

I think the most important question is whether your wife has the same taste as you do? I know you want to surprise her but perhaps it’s better to show it to her first. If she reacts with enthusiasm, then it’s for her. I have known ladies whose husbands surprise them with handbags that they dislike but dutifully wear on occasion. Also, it’s been five years, so it’s good to check if her taste has changed. Five years I would have liked a multi-colored ring like that, but now I prefer to have one main color with one or two complementing colors in the side stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results