shape
carat
color
clarity

Success! Yellow Sapphire (Attempt 4) Re-Cut Pre & Post Pics!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So…After many attempts, I think we have success!!!

Many thanks to everyone who has chimed in on all of my attempts, offering your thoughts and honest opinions - you have no idea just how very helpful you have been. In particular, Chrono & FrekeChild, you guys have really been amazing in how responsive you've been to my posts and helping me think through everything - I really appreciate it!

For anyone who hadn't seen it, here's a link to the previous play-by-play (of course, with more pre-pics in its setting):
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sapphires-attempts-2-3-and-4-pic-overload.195305/

Many, many, many thanks to Jerry Newman of Gemart Services, who was unbearably patient with me through this whole process, answering all of my questions, and working very very hard to fix the sapphire's window without sacrificing face-up size!!! This morning I heard from him - the re-cut is complete, and he said that he was able to re-cut the pavilion without changing the stone's size or shape. I just received pictures post re-cut, and I am absolutely amazed!

When you see the pics, just look at the cut - I almost fell out of my chair - NO window!!! The pictures do show the color darker than it is in person, and while the tip and the end of the stone are a bit darker than the middle, I'm absolutely fine with that and feel like I could see that a bit before. Once it goes back into it's yellow gold crown of the ring, *fingers-crossed*, I am thinking that it will be gorgeous. Needless to say, I can't wait to see it in person, re-set it back into its ring, and have it sized, so I can start wearing it!

Without further adieu - here are pics! Pre pics out of its setting first, and then the ones I just received!

pre_-_1.jpg

pre_-_2.jpg

pre_-_3.jpg

pre_-_4.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Success! Yellow Sapphire (Attempt 4) Re-Cut Pre & Post P

And, now for the first Post Pics!!!

post_re-cut_-_1.jpg

post_re-cut_-_2.jpg

post_re-cut_-_3.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous!! Very sunny.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

W :love: W! What a difference. Gorgeous sapphire. It reminds me of the sun. :love: I cannot wait to see pics of it reset back in your ring. Wear in health and happiness and please post lots more pics when you finally get it back. Just beautiful!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

IndyLady & Missy,

Thank you so much! I love the sunny, big-bird yellow, and I couldn't be more thrilled with the results - color & cut! I am really grateful for all of the time that Jerry spent corresponding with me and his willingness to work with the stone to create exactly what I had hoped for. I'm almost nervous to see it in person because I am just that astounded! Absolutely, I'll post pics when it comes back pre-setting, and more when it finds its way back into the ring!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

Very nice!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yay! Congrats! And you're welcome. Always happy to help. And I can't wait to see the light blue/violet step cut! :wink2:

Also, I'm having Jerry recut a spinel of mine to get rid of a fracture on the pavilion. Hoping it happens before the end of the year! So I'm very excited to see you so happy with your results!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

innerkitten|1386484707|3569943 said:
Very nice!

Thank you Innerkitten!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

FrekeChild|1386486659|3569953 said:
Yay! Congrats! And you're welcome. Always happy to help. And I can't wait to see the light blue/violet step cut! :wink2:

Also, I'm having Jerry recut a spinel of mine to get rid of a fracture on the pavilion. Hoping it happens before the end of the year! So I'm very excited to see you so happy with your results!

Thank you FrekeChild! I so tried to respond earlier but got kicked off the server just as I was writing back :) And, here's to the quest for the light violet-blue step cut sapphire one of these days, or rather when the rough becomes available! There's actually another dream stone that I would love to have, that FI loves as well, and is in budgetary reach, amazingly enough - notwithstanding this project, but...I have to hold off because it *might* be a holiday surprise, so I can't spoil it :) (well, at least not until after Christmas!)

But, truly though, I have no doubt that you'll be in good hands with Jerry. I found him through a re-cut thread here, folks seemed to like his work, his pre & post re-cut pics on his website were stunning in my opinion, and Chrono had good things to say about him in my previous thread. I was super nervous to send the stone off, not because of Jerry, but just because I had never taken on a project like this (quite obviously), and aside from a starter bike years ago & our home, this stone is the first major purchase that I've made since entering the working world. Beyond all of that, the finished ring will have sentimental value for me as well, to be explained in a separate post :)

I'm sure I bugged Jerry to pieces with all of my questions and in sending as many photos as I could and as much information as I had, so he could give me a sense of what to expect before sending it off, and he was beyond responsive and took it all in stride with great patience. I felt very comfortable working with him because he knew that I really wanted to save face up size, and I felt like he genuinely wanted to do the very best that he could to achieve that while also resolving the window - best outcome possible. We even discussed the possibility that the stone may be a no-go based on loss of size in re-cut due to the shallowness of the stone, and I felt very confident that he would let me know if that were the case, so we could then decide whether to proceed with the re-cut or for me to play make-it-work with the setting instead. I know it had to have been a challenge to work with this stone, especially since I wanted to keep the size for two reasons - love the size, and I didn't want to invest in re-building the ring's crown, which would have been expensive. All in all, it was a great experience, and I am very thankful to have found him, that he was willing to work with me, and that he was so thoughtful throughout the process. I have since promised that I will be much better if I ever have another project for him :)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This turned out so beautiful! I was not a fan of the yellow one because I just do not like yellow but this is so gorgeous now that its been recut! I am excited to see it set! :love:

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

So, the sentimental value that I just alluded to…

The ring is a celebration of our first year of pups! We have two rescue pups, and after much work, training to help them acclimate to life in the city after the rural/shelter/rescue chapter of their lives, and a whole lot of vetting (our boy pup had a rough start as a very, very sick puppy in the shelter and numerous other surprises for the first six months or so at home), they have really grown into two beautiful, lovable canine citizens. They are now young, exuberant adolescents who are still learning the ropes, but they are also all around cuddle-dud clowns with forever-puppy personalities that have brought some much joy and happiness into our lives that I can't imagine ever being without them. I am very proud of our commitment to them and all of the time that we spent ushering them into this new phase of their lives. We loved each of them to pieces the moment that we met them, but we had no idea how much more we would bond with them and love them, and that they would do the same with each other. Our girl pup was first to come home in September of 2012, and our boy pup likely was born sometime around then, so with sapphire as the September birthstone, it was the perfect choice :)

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1386536574|3570069 said:
This turned out so beautiful! I was not a fan of the yellow one because I just do not like yellow but this is so gorgeous now that its been recut! I am excited to see it set! :love:

Redwood66 - Thank you so much! To be honest, when I pulled the three original rings (not having seen them in person), I least expected to pick the yellow one as well - but, it was such a sunny color in my mind that it was totally worth trying with the re-cut or a setting fix. I'm really very pleased with how it turned out (well beyond my expectations!), and I'm very excited to see it in person when it arrives - I'm sure I'll end up posting more pics then and most definitely when it gets re-set!!!

Kahlua

Rough_Rock

Your sapphire is just gorgeous! Congratulation on your babies too, they're such a joy. :twirl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

It sparkles! What a fabulous job -- I love the pavilion cutting. Ok -- pics of it back in its setting as soon as possible!

You deserve it for your great work with the pups. Maybe a nice sparkly halo too!

--- Laurie

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

JewelFreak|1386550189|3570189 said:
It sparkles! What a fabulous job -- I love the pavilion cutting. Ok -- pics of it back in its setting as soon as possible!

You deserve it for your great work with the pups. Maybe a nice sparkly halo too!

--- Laurie

Laurie, thanks so much! I think it was a fabulous job too - I'm still stunned. More pics absolutely when it goes back into its setting! I wish I had the finger real estate to pull off halos - I'm thinking size it to my right middle finger, just so it doesn't completely overwhelm my right ring finger :) I appreciate the kind words about the pups - I'm really happy that we seem to have gotten through the 'hard' part for lack of better words, and though they've certainly created some life changes for us/me, it was so very worth it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Unbelievable! I have no idea how he closed that window with minimal face up loss. I hope the colour isn't affected negatively as his picture looks different than yours but other than that, the yellow sapphire looks great! Can't wait for you to receive your "new" stone.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1386595464|3570427 said:
Unbelievable! I have no idea how he closed that window with minimal face up loss. I hope the colour isn't affected negatively as his picture looks different than yours but other than that, the yellow sapphire looks great! Can't wait for you to receive your "new" stone.

Neither do I! Apparently, the stone only lost ~14/15% carat weight retaining the same size and shape. He was working with a new camera and said that the shots displayed the color darker than it appears in person. It should still be big bird yellow with a bit more color saturation at the tip and the end, which in looking at my previous pics here and the former thread, I'm pretty sure was the case before :)

In either case, I'd take more color in the ends of the stone over a window/dead under the table any day! And, with the yellow gold head (especially, with the triangle capping the tip of the stone), I'm hoping any color shift beyond golden out of the setting will be neutralized back to yellow, shifting to golden in certain lights, when placed back in the setting. I should receive the stone back on Wednesday, so we shall see!!!

With some luck, I'm hoping the stone can be re-set and the ring sized before Christmas week for a completed 2013 project - I can't wait!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

endless_summer|1386602014|3570513 said:
Chrono|1386595464|3570427 said:

Neither do I! Apparently, the stone only lost ~14/15% carat weight retaining the same size and shape. He was working with a new camera and said that the shots displayed the color darker than it appears in person. It should still be big bird yellow with a bit more color saturation at the tip and the end, which in looking at my previous pics here and the former thread, I'm pretty sure was the case before :)

In either case, I'd take more color in the ends of the stone over a window/dead under the table any day! And, with the yellow gold head (especially, with the triangle capping the tip of the stone), I'm hoping any color shift beyond golden out of the setting will be neutralized back to yellow, shifting to golden in certain lights, when placed back in the setting. I should receive the stone back on Wednesday, so we shall see!!!

With some luck, I'm hoping the stone can be re-set and the ring sized before Christmas week for a completed 2013 project - I can't wait!

Ok, some more pre-pics re: the color - maybe I'm making up seeing the bit of concentration at the end and tip of the stone, but I'm pretty sure it was there & thought I'd post some more pre-pics anyway - two from the side and one top down (sorry for the crumby, unflattering office-like lighting). I'm likely just overly excited & antsy to see the stone in person - anybody's call :) Also, it looks like the table was slightly flat - though I don't have a keen eye for this at all - probably helping to provide more pavilion to work with.

PS - the stone's on its way! Should be here Wednesday or Thursday!

unset_-_1.jpg

unset_-_3.jpg

table_reflection.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

What an improvement!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

pregcurious|1386645594|3571083 said:
What an improvement!

Thanks Pregcurious!!! for me, it was a total leap for me to send it out, having never done that before, but I think the new cut made it totally worth it - just have to wait out return shipping now :)

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Kahlua|1386549057|3570177 said:
Your sapphire is just gorgeous! Congratulation on your babies too, they're such a joy. :twirl:

Kahlua, I really appreciate it - the babies are the waggliest little balls of joy that I've ever met! It's hard to not be happy getting to wake up to pup kisses every morning :)

One of my favorite quotes, and it's so true - "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
-Ben Williams

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I received the stone this afternoon, and it is an unbelievable transformation! I think the pictures speak for themselves, but I am absolutely thrilled and can affirm that Jerry's re-cut was an absolute success! While I only had a few minutes to play with it this afternoon, I am happy to report that it is amazingly sparkly, and it retained its sunny, big-bird yellow. Depending on how the light hits it, portions of it shift to honey-pot golden at the tip and the end, but to my eyes, it does not detract from the stone's beauty in any way. NO window!!! And, it certainly retained every bit of its face-up size :) Truly, if I had sent the stone back and started from scratch, I would have hoped to find exactly what Jerry provided to me through re-cut.

The stone and former setting are already with my jeweler to re-set the stone, refurbish the prongs, size the ring, and polish the platinum - I get to pick it up next Friday, and I can't wait to start wearing and especially to see it in the sun!

So...What do you guys think? And, on with the pics!

by_itself.jpg

no_window_-_1.jpg

no_window_-_2.jpg

no_window_-_3.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

And, now for the hand pics!

on_hand_-_close.jpg

on_hand_-_good_shot.jpg

on_hand_-_sparkly_close.jpg

on_hand_-_sparkly.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

PS - I can't wait to be able to share pics of it as a shiny new ring!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

How is it being set?

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hey Innerkitten!

It's being set back into its original setting. The setting has a platinum shank with tapered channel-set baguettes on either side of the center stone, and the sapphire itself will be set into the ring's 18k yellow gold crown/prongs :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

What are the dimensions of the new stone, and what is the ring size of your ring finger? Just curious for scale because I like the size.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

pregcurious|1386822609|3572550 said:
What are the dimensions of the new stone, and what is the ring size of your ring finger? Just curious for scale because I like the size.

Pregcurious,

Thank you! Amazingly - it basically kept its original dimensions and is now 10.5mm x 8.1mm x 4.87mm, approximately a 1.3 lw ratio. I wear a size 6 on my ring finger, but it looked so large to me and sat high enough in its ring pre-cut that I'm sizing the ring to my right middle finger - that, and it would be easier to take it down to ring finger size later than go up to middle finger size later :)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

endless_summer|1386821989|3572542 said:
Hey Innerkitten!

It's being set back into its original setting. The setting has a platinum shank with tapered channel-set baguettes on either side of the center stone, and the sapphire itself will be set into the ring's 18k yellow gold crown/prongs :)

Good! The sapphire looked really nice against the 18k yellow prongs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, it looks so much better and the colour is barely affected. :appl: I confess to being skeptical about closing the window when you were first considering buying the sapphire and am very happy to be proven wrong.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results