shape
carat
color
clarity

Subchorionic Hematoma during pregnancy

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone experienced this during their pregnancy and what was the outcome?

I am 11 weeks 3 days pregnant and yesterday I went to the bathroom to find a bright red period-like flow of blood. The on-call doctor sent me to the ER to get it checked out. I was so relieved when I got to see my little baby bouncing and kicking around in there, with a strong heartbeat of 171bpm and measuring a few days ahead of my due date! The ultrasound tech was so sweet and great at keeping me unaware that there was bad news on the ultrasound. The after a long wait for blood and urine tests results the ER doctor came and told me I had two small subchorionic hematomas and that my placenta was partially torn away from my uterus. Luckily the baby looks give and Seems to be thriving despite this slight reduction in nourishment. He was very frank and explained that I am at a risk for a miscarriage and what to do if one occurs. He also said that it could just heal and resolve on it's own but it is hard to say what will happen here and we have to "wait and see.". He put me on bedrest for a few days until I can follow up with my OBGYN. I'm waiting for the office to open up so I can get a ppointment to be seen by my doctor.

When I google subchorionic hematoma, I see a broad array of outcomes which gives me hope but also is frustrating that I don't have an idea of what to expect. Anyway I'd love to hear the experiences of fellow PSers who have had this and any advice they can give.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Mia, I don't have any insight, but wanted to send you lots of hugs and dust. I hope the bedrest is all you need to heal and that your baby will be healthy for the remaining 29 wks. DUST DUST DUST to baby and Mommy!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mia, :wavey: sorry about that scare. My goodness! My best friend had SCH with her most recent pregnancy. We were out to dinner when she was 9-10 weeks pregnant. She went to the restroom and came out looking white as a ghost. She whispered , "Um, I'm pregnant but I think just got my period?"

She and her husband left immediately and went to the ER. Like you, they saw a little gummy bear with a beating heart. She followed up with her doc on Monday for the official SCH diagnosis and was put on pelvic rest indefinitely. She had repeat ultrasounds to peak at her baby and the SCH. It resolved itself but not until well into her second trimester. If I recall correctly, they were able to see the SCH shrinking in size at some point before it was completely resolved.

She went on to have a healthy baby . She had other issues related to blood antigen incompatibility so it was a long ride!

When she was diagnosed with SCH, we did lots of googling too and (from the outsider's perspective) there seemed to be a greater chance of a positive outcome.

I am sending lots of positive sticky dust your way! And, I hope the doc gets you in today. That wait can be so painful!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Mia, big hugs. I have not personally experienced this either, but I have a friend who had a subchorionic hematoma that caused some bleeding in her pregnancy. I do not know for sure the severity of her condition, but she continued to have bleeding every so often and several trips to the ER. Her baby was born about 10 weeks early, but I am not sure if this had anything to do with the hematoma. Other than being early and needing some time in the NICU, the baby did just fine. Based on your other posts, it sounds like you are a really active person, so I'm sure the bedrest won't be easy, but I really hope it is just what you need to let your body heal.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for your responses I am starting to feel a little better.

LC- Thanks so much for the dust! I can't believe I am in this situation after everything was going so smoothly but I am really hoping for a good outcome.

Pupp- Thanks for sharing you friend's experiences. I'm so glad the baby was okay! My googling also showed a lot of positive outcomes but I just wish I had some odds or statistics to go by. I think SCH is fairly common but I think the size and whether it is affecting the placenta is an important indicator. Luckly mine are small but the ER doc said my placenta is already torn from the uterus in a small area. That is not written on my documentation so I am hoping he was just guessing on that one. Hopefully I will get more info from my doctor as to the severity. While typing this I got a callback and I will see my doctor at 4:15 today! Maybe I will nap a lot and the day will fly by! I am just nervous about the bedrest. Obviously I need to work, but my job involves working with children and teens who can be aggressive. I supervise therapists so they can do the restraints, etc., but I worry if I was attacked or something. But whatever the doctor says, I plan to put myself on pelvic rest for a while.

Monkey- Thanks for also sharing your friend's experience. Yes I was a somewhat active person but it is funny how quickly that goes out the window when you have a real scare. Now I am afraid to walk to the kitchen let alone go for a walk or run! Luckily I haven't worked out in a week so I don't feel guilty that I caused this. In fact, my husband is out of town so on Saturday, I spent all day relaxing around the house. But then again, I guess it's a little scary that this happened when I wasn't even that active. I guess SCH does put me at risk for preterm labor so that may be related to your friend delivering early, but then again it could be unrelated. I'm so glad to hear that baby turned out just fine! Thanks for that!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Mia, so true. I had a couple of incidents of bright red spotting very early in this pregnancy (around 4 and 5 weeks) and then a really minor spotting incident at about 24 weeks. It is downright terrifying to see spotting of any kind when you are pregnant. Each time I just took it as easy as possible for the next several days. I never did determine what caused it, but the doctor didn't find any clots during my ultrasounds. Anyway, I'm glad you realize you didn't do anything to cause it. It is just one of those things that sometimes happens unfortunately. Lots of dust headed your way. I hope your doctor is able to give you some reassuring news today.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, big hugs Mia. I woke up at 8w1d to bright red bleeding. It was terrifying to say the least! Fortunately the little guy or gal was just fine, and I'm now 28 weeks! So hang in there, and try to take it easy. The doctor told me to be on pelvic rest as much as possible until the bleeding was resolved. No working out, sex, etc. Lots of luck!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Mia, I have no advice but just wanted to send you a big hug & lots of dust that everything will be ok.
Keep us posted on your appointment today.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Aw, Mia... hang in there. I hope you can get in to see your doc soon and that your prognosis is good. Sending dust to you and your little bean.

MIA!!! Lots of dust for you and baby. Please update us later. I will have you in my thoughts for the rest of the day.. Fingers and toes crossed for you!

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Mia I'm sorry I dont' have any advice but I'll definitely be thinking of you and your bean and praying that everything resolves with some rest.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Mia, sending positive thoughts for your appointment at 4:15pm today. Good luck to you and the baby.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mia - Sending you hugs and positive thoughts!! Hope your dr has lots of encouraging words for you and that everything will be ok!!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mia - Sending you hugs and positive thoughts!! Hope your dr has lots of encouraging words for you and that everything will be ok!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mia, I am sorry; sending prayers and good vibes your way.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any advice but I am sending lots of dust and prayers your way. I am sorry this is happening!!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
THANK YOU ALL for all your well wishes and positive thoughts they really mean a lot to me.

Well, appointment went well. I LOVE my doctor! She was a little annoyed that the ER doctor had me so worried and didn't even do a pelvic exam. So she did a pelvic exam and said my cervix was nice and long and closed shut so no signs of a miscarriage for now. She said about 30% of her patients experience some sort of SCH but for most it is so mild that it doesn't cause any problems and often goes unnoticed. She said it's only really a problem if the SCH takes up large percentage of the placenta. She said mine are only average sized so there is no indication that they will cause any problems but we will need to monitor them. So since the bleeding has stopped I will only have to continue bedrest for the rest of the week and then next week I will have my NT scan and they will check it then. I will also have another scan before my anatomy scan so about every month I will be checked. Of course this is all assuming that I don't bleed again, and I am really hoping I won't!

The best thing about my doctor is that they added my appointment in late because she really wanted to get me in ASAP, but after my check up, even thoug it was nearly 6pm, she brought me back to use the ultrasound to see the baby again. My insurance does not cover in office Ultrasounds but she stayed late and did it just to make me feel better! I just love watching the little guy swimming around and kicking and of course he/she waved at me! It was the best! I just wish my husband could have been there. He is out of town for his best friend's wedding which has made this whole thing extra hard on both of us. Anyway hoping everything gets better from here!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mia - So happy to read your update. I would say you indeed have an awesome doctor!!! So nice to hear that she went out of her way to make sure you felt okay.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Sending you lots of good thoughts, Mia.

Buttons

Shiny_Rock
Mia I have no experience of this or any knowledge but I wanted to say I am sorry, that must be so scary! I am so glad your doctor was able to give you good news and that it was reassuring. I am thinking of you and sending lots of sticky happy healthy pregnancy vibes your way...

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Mia, my fellow SoCal pregger PS'er, my heart was in my throat at your initial post. I'm so glad your awesome-sounding doc was both thorough and optimistic. Dust continuing, and take good care of yourself!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh mia you poor thing, how scary for you!! TONS of dust coming your way!!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Mia, how goes the bedrest?? At least you have a wonderful PS community to make the time go by. :)

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your warm thoughts! It feels great to have a little support system here especially with my DH out of town! I think the brown spotting has stopped completely so that is really good!

FDL- I always forget that you are in SoCal too! Where are you again? I am in OC. At least I have been able to hide from the heat in my air conditioned apartment! I'm obviously not sick (besides standard nausea) but even though I am stuck in bed I have my dog to take care of and I was actually dog sitting for a friend, so two dogs. I take them out 2-3 times per day which I think is okay because it is just a few steps to the elevator and the grass is right outside the elevator door. Anyway, I feel like I am going to pass out from the heat every time I go outside!

LC- So sweet of you to check in on me. I'm doing okay on bedrest. I'm super bored but I find ways to occupy myself like talking on the phone and I even started playing my first game on facebook, now I am one of those people with annoying posts from facebook games! Friends have been coming by to take my trash out, do my dishes, take the dogs out, and bring me food so that has been fun but of course my house is a mess and it is just awkward having people over and not being able to wait on them. It's just awkward in general being cared for by others when you are used to doing everything yourself. But I'm hanging in there and trying to enjoy the relaxation. Checking baby's heartbeart all the time with my doppler helps me to feel like I am doing something even though I am not too! Thanks for checking in on me and you are right I am lucky to have you guys and PS not only for entertainment but also for support through this!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results