shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuller setting question

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
20190914_015409.jpg 20190914_015353.jpg 20190914_015326.jpg 20190914_015307.jpg Long time reader, newbie poster here.

I have an unusually shaped ering at a lower color so I knew I would need to have something made. I have been searching for a complementary band for almost 5 years. My previous jeweler passed away and this is my first time working with a new vendor in the same building. He ordered a Stuller setting and it came in a few weeks ago. When I tried it I commented that the prongs felt sharp but he assured me once set they would not be sharp at all. Fast forward to today. I picked up the set ring and it is still sharp. I'm not sure of it is the mounting or how it was set. He did say he could polish it but I'm concerned it won't be enough. At this point it is painful to wear, I'm heartbroken.

Has anyone experienced any issues with settings like this? Will polishing help? I have waited so long for this band and feel like it will be a very expensive additon to my junk drawer.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
With the larger rounds sitting up higher than the smaller stones, I’d be afraid they wouldn’t be comfortable even after trying to soften the prongs. The two on the sides near your finger look like they’d be awfully poky.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you return it and have the style custom made? I’m not a huge fan of Stuller and I don’t think their quality is good enough to ever get this design correct.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just as another opinion, I have several Stuller rings and they are high quality - however, the devil is in the details, so to speak, and besides actual choice of setting, the quality of a finished Stuller piece really is determined by the skill and care of the local jeweler.

OP, I agree with other posters suggesting the setting you chose has a design which can promote discomfort between fingers ... I know I could not wear that design no matter who did the setting/finish-work as I need a smooth feel between my fingers. While I can wear a ring with either all higher set stones (like the 4 stones in your band) or lower set stones (like the rest of the your band), the alternating heights are bothersome to my adjacent fingers.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a link to the stuller setting on-line that you can provide? Polishing may help. Could also be somewhat the nature of this band
where some stones stick up higher than others. Prongs shouldnt poke but since you have stones sticking up higher than other stones it may
give you a poking feeling (even with the prongs polished). Could depend on your sensitivity of things between your fingers.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
@tyty30 The setting number is 123154 on the Stuller site.

Jbake, wewechew, and maryam, thank you this is what I fear. I have tried alternating post or pillar (no idea what this style is called) and didn't notice this as an issue. But now I can't really see how this wouldn't continue to be an issue. Currently, I can punch through a piece of paper with the taller prongs and they are sharp when I run a fingertip over them. This just seems wrong to me. I once had a setting that had similar issues and kept getting snagged on things. I ended up replacing it, but the way it was set was a contributing factor.

As I said this is a a new jeweler and I don't know who he works to set with. My previous guy had worked with someone else and his work was fantastic. Alas, I have no idea who that was and he would have been to the trade at any rate. I have an appt to return Monday to see what they can do. I'm really afraid I will need to junk it and start over custom which is may he cost prohibitive. At this point it is an unwearable sink so I guess I have to suck it up.

A thought did occur to me, the smaller stones have a edge surrounding them, not a true channel but an edge. Would anyone know if it is possible to bezel the taller stones in? There doesn't appear to be a way to extract the prongs since they are cast into the band but can someone pop a square bezel around them?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your jeweler isn’t able to fix it, and you can’t return it, send it to David Klass. He can tell you if it’s salvageable, or if he would need to make you an entirely new setting. I assume the diamonds in the band are to your liking?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
If your jeweler isn’t able to fix it, and you can’t return it, send it to David Klass. He can tell you if it’s salvageable, or if he would need to make you an entirely new setting. I assume the diamonds in the band are to your liking?

Good thinking. He is in LA right? I happen to be going up there this weekend. I loved the squarish bezels he did for another PSer.

The diamonds were sourced to compliment the lower color in my ering so they work well visually. And they were fairly cheap, the guy I have been working with does sort of wholesale.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good thinking. He is in LA right? I happen to be going up there this weekend. I loved the squarish bezels he did for another PSer.

The diamonds were sourced to compliment the lower color in my ering so they work well visually. And they were fairly cheap, the guy I have been working with does sort of wholesale.
Yup he's in LA

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you can find a resolution, it’s a pretty ring. It seems to me the design may just inherently be uncomfortable with the raised diamond sections at the 3 & 9 o’clock positions. Right between your fingers.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you can find a resolution, it’s a pretty ring. It seems to me the design may just inherently be uncomfortable with the raised diamond sections at the 3 & 9 o’clock positions. Right between your fingers.
The 3 and 9 are killing me. My jeweler did manage to polish down the prongs, they were ridiculously sharp but the positioning is a mess. I tried it on in a 1/4 size and for whatever reason it wasn't uncomfortable.

We tried to bezel the stones or drop them but bezels will still be high and there isn't enough space to make them flush. Back to the drawing board. I'm lousy at speaking my mind, but I should have said forget it when we got the setting in and I didn't love it, sigh.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I don't think it can be made comfortable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results