shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuller Setting - 18K Palladium or 18K X1 White Gold?

Cking332

Rough_Rock
I have settled on a setting from Stuller and am very interested in their 18K Palladium White and 18K X1 White Gold. From what I can see, the pricing is very similar, but I'm curious about the pros/cons of each.

Thank you!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My favorite is the 14k x1 super white and very strong.
The 18k x1 is slightly less white than the 14 but is white enough that many people will not plate them.
Stuller 18K Palladium White has more color than both of the x1 alloys but less than the regular white gold.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Karl, I am not familiar with the 18k x1 nor the 18k palladium. Would those 2 be softer than regular 14k (as regular 18k is)? I went with 14k for my Cliq mounting specifically for this reason since it is for a ring that will get much more wear and tear than a pendant or earrings. I am LOVING the 14k white gold. I forgot how pretty it is after having platinum for many, many years. The luster is gorgeous, as is the whiteness (which blends quite nicely with my E color stone!!!). The contrast from platinum in how white and shiny the 14k white is really surprised me. I don’t know what Cliq uses for the alloys in their 14k... I wonder if they’d tell me - I know some jewelers/manufacturers are protective of their formula!
I was accepting of the fact of re-plating every few years (which is a very nominal fee and a short stay with the jeweler) but I think that if one is careful about what they expose the metal to they may be able to avoid this, or certainly not have to do it for a very long time - I’m thinking of things like wearing it in swimming pools, jacuzzis, the ocean, housecleaning, etc. With that said, I would imagine a re-plate would serve to further add even more durability to its hardness over the softer nature of 18k?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Karl, I am not familiar with the 18k x1 nor the 18k palladium. Would those 2 be softer than regular 14k (as regular 18k is)? I went with 14k for my Cliq mounting specifically for this reason since it is for a ring that will get much more wear and tear than a pendant or earrings. I am LOVING the 14k white gold. I forgot how pretty it is after having platinum for many, many years. The luster is gorgeous, as is the whiteness (which blends quite nicely with my E color stone!!!). The contrast from platinum in how white and shiny the 14k white is really surprised me. I don’t know what Cliq uses for the alloys in their 14k... I wonder if they’d tell me - I know some jewelers/manufacturers are protective of their formula!
I was accepting of the fact of re-plating every few years (which is a very nominal fee and a short stay with the jeweler) but I think that if one is careful about what they expose the metal to they may be able to avoid this, or certainly not have to do it for a very long time - I’m thinking of things like wearing it in swimming pools, jacuzzis, the ocean, housecleaning, etc. With that said, I would imagine a re-plate would serve to further add even more durability to its hardness over the softer nature of 18k?

Is your 14k white gold not rhodium plated?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi, kmoro! Yes, of course it is plated, sorry if I made it sound otherwise (I think I typed that in the middle of the night!)... I just haven't had to yet re-do it given I've only had it since mid-Feb! I accept that I will ultimately need to and it will just be a matter of how frequent depending on how I care for it. I am actually going to see if I can find out what the alloy is. I just didn't want to go with platinum again. Wanted something lighter weight and I love the luster of the gold.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I like X1 a lot. I have an unplated 18k x1 3 stone and it’s nicely white but without being chrome white like rhodium. It’s a very flattering tone.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I like X1 a lot. I have an unplated 18k x1 3 stone and it’s nicely white but without being chrome white like rhodium. It’s a very flattering tone.
I would love to see that! Do you have any photos?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl, I am not familiar with the 18k x1 nor the 18k palladium. Would those 2 be softer than regular 14k (as regular 18k is)?
There are so many alloys out there and being soft or hard is only one criteria toughness is just as important.
My opinion is that the x1 is tougher and harder than 18k palladium based on personal experience with the 14k x1 and talking to benchmen who have worked with them all.
The old days high nickel white gold was hard but brittle so it was not that tough.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results