shape
carat
color
clarity

Stud Earrings

phusion36

Rough_Rock
I have been scouring this forum for the past couple of days and think I have a good handle (probably wrong) on what I should be looking for as it relates to a pair of diamond stud earrings for my wife. I was looking at getting her a set of 2 carat earrings when I saw the substantial price drop if I went with 1.8ish. From what I have gathered from many forum posts it is difficult to find and eye clean si2 so I may be best suited for SI1 or VS2 with a color of I or H, but am wondering if going with J offers better options? Her engagement ring is a 1.4 hearts and arrows center stone surrounded by 6 more .1 diamonds in VS1 color of G. Realizing she wont be sticking her ear in people's faces the way it happens with rings I am trying to find something that will be in the same ballpark of fire. I have been focusing on only ideal cut, and color of H or I, and clarity of VS2 or SI1. I read that the HCA calculator should help from the light symettery and think that these may be a good pair, but wanted more qualified opinions then mine. I was thinking of the 3 prong set to have these stand out more. What are your thoughts on these pairs as I am not sure how much the location and different inclusions can affect things. I also dont want to go and over spend for something that would be overkill in earrings. Thanks so much for any guidance.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-pair-2337025,2288612

I looked at these, but got nervous with the inclusions.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-pair-2259739,2125669

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert...I don't like the pavilion angle with the crown angle of the .91 I. Notice how the arrows are clear, not black as it spins? I think a 40.6 or 40.8 is better with a 35 crown. Like on the .90 I. But. I don't really love black inclusions, like in the .90 I. See how they reflect around in the stone? Still, they're going to be the size of a pencil eraser and novody will be closer than a foot from her ear...

I have an I SI2 and a J SI1 and both are eye clean at a foot. Closer than a foot, if I tilt the I a certain way, I can see something, like blocking the sparkle in one tiny spot. But I wouldn't say I can see the actual feather.

The H stones look nice. I didn't run them thru the HCA tool (search bar). Did you? Numbers under 2 are worth further evaluation. (Like idealscope and ASET).

Hoping others will chime in with their thoughts. Exciting time for you. !

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
My recommendation is go to IDJ or White flash buy ACA. Or IDJ selection and you can' t go wrong with either:)

My friend just bought 2 carat studs from IDJ F color si1 and they are gorgeous.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just bought a pair of 1.26 ctw from IDJ and was thrilled. Mine are G/SI2 and H/SI1.

My advice would be to look at whiteflash, BGD, and IDJ. Depending on your preferences, you might go in a few directions:
If you want superideal cuts, go to whiteflash or BGD and see what you can get for your budget, recognizing that you may need to make tradeoffs between budget and color/clarity specs
If you are ok with ideal cuts (GIA XXX + HCA <2) and want to be a bit more budget friendly, talk to IDJ - I've had a good experience working with Yekutiel directly.

I'd give all of them a ring and see what they can do.

Happy hunting!

phusion36

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. I have reached out to IDJ and they have presented this as an option. I am trying to get this whole thing understood and am probably over analyzing. What are your thoughts?

scanox_report_1.jpg

scanox_report.jpg

Attachments

• 6242035308.pdf
    708.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 6231687349.pdf
    702.6 KB · Views: 65

phusion36

Rough_Rock
Here are the aset and ideal scope.

gia_6231687349-aset_white-01.jpg

gia_6231687349-idealscope-01.jpg

gia_6242035308-aset_white-01.jpg

gia_6242035308-idealscope-01.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping with the hope that some of our true diamond experts are around today and will also chime in...

I'm not one of those true diamond experts, but I am a bit concerned about the inclusions in the second diamond, particularly the one at about 10 o'clock, near the edge of the table. I 'm sure it would not be visible in a diamond worn in an earring. However, to me a 1 ct stone is pretty sizeable, and it's something that I might want to re-use in a different context someday (especially if an earring upgrade somewhere down the line is a possibility :wink2: ). That inclusion might be more visible than what I'd want in a stone used in, say, a ring or bracelet. Note that I'm saying MIGHT - I can't tell you at what distance the inclusion would be visible with the naked eye, if any. And it's also entirely possible that the diamonds would always remain as earrings, in which case a small inclusion like that is probably not an issue. And do keep in mind that both diamonds are GIA S1, so other experts have already determined that they're eye clean even from a much shorter viewing distance than you're likely to encounter diamonds used in earrings.

phusion36

Rough_Rock
Thank you, that makes sense to me. I'm thinking about going back to IDJ and asking if they can find another diamond that the inclusion may be a little less problematic as I could see upgrades in the future. That second diamond is actually an Si2, that IDJ said was eye clean. Thanks again, anyone else have anything else to add?

phusion36

Rough_Rock
Here are shots of the diamonds.

gia_6231687349-officelight_black-01.jpg

gia_6242035308-officelight_black-01.jpg

phusion36

Rough_Rock
ok I spoke to Yekutiel and he even "dirtied" the diamond to see if he could see it and he said it's eye clean. He felt so comfortable that he said he would pay for return shipping if I wasnt happy. I am probably over analyzing at this point and just wonder what a fair price should fall into on these diamonds in a 4 prong 14k white gold set. Its hard to see since they are different clarities of what other sites would be charging. Any thoughts?

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi phusion36,
You sure have done your homework! Now, I can't recommend specific stones, address pricing or comment on vendors, as I'm in the trade.

But, to keep in mind:

1. I like that you go with 1.8 instead of 2 ct. tw. A great size, BUT if you want more you can always go for a halo setting or milgrain edge setting to get a 'bigger' look.
2. About the color, H to J is considered quite acceptable for stud earrings but some people may be more color sensitive than others.
3. When you're looking at cut, do keep in mind that deep cuts might make the studs appear smaller.

If you love the diamonds - and their look - that is the most important thing!

phusion36

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the reply. What would be a better depth that I should be looking at to get the best look of size?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
I recommend you call Lesley at BGD to find pairs for you.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You might want to look into some of the threads by Garry - Cut Nut who is a trade expert and HCA developer. He references his preferences for shallower stones for earring and pendant stones because of their preference for white light return and how they are viewed on the ears (vs. on the hand). Bonus: they also face up well for their weight.

I found these threads to be helpful as I was making my own decisions. I also had a discussion about shallower stud stones with Yekutiel at IDJ which is what led me to choosing 60/60 type stones for my own project. Again, your mileage may vary.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
phusion36|1482961467|4110133 said:
Thanks so much for the reply. What would be a better depth that I should be looking at to get the best look of size?

As much as I would love to give you a specific set of "will be great" criteria, that is virtually impossible. The depth percentage interacts with every other angle in the diamond so a specific depth of, say, 61 may look great with one set of angles and awful with another.

You're on the right track by pursuing light performance images (Ideal-Scope and ASET) which will tell you if the light plays from edge to edge of the diamond.

Claude

Rough_Rock
As much as I would love to give you a specific set of "will be great" criteria, that is virtually impossible. The depth percentage interacts with every other angle in the diamond so a specific depth of, say, 61 may look great with one set of angles and awful with another.

You're on the right track by pursuing light performance images (Ideal-Scope and ASET) which will tell you if the light plays from edge to edge of the diamond.

Hello, I'm new here. I need help selecting a pair of Round Diamond earrings studs at whiteflash or other site for my wife. What's a good carat size per ears and total carat weight? I want something that looks big enough.. what the carat weight that's enough for each ear?
Also as far as quality, I'm looking for mid-range such as mid range cut, color, clarity, etc

For example are the below big enough
right ear .46 Carat
Left Ear .45 Carat
I'm on a budget of less than $1500 total..is this unrealistic?
Thanks Claude

Last edited:

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello, I'm new here. I need help selecting a pair of Round Diamond earrings studs at whiteflash or other site for my wife. What's a good carat size per ears and total carat weight? I want something that looks big enough.. what the carat weight that's enough for each ear?
Also as far as quality, I'm looking for mid-range such as mid range cut, color, clarity, etc

For example are the below big enough
right ear .46 Carat
Left Ear .45 Carat
I'm on a budget of less than $1500 total..is this unrealistic?
Thanks Claude

Hello Claude,

The easiest way to know what is a realistic budget is to do a search for diamonds in your desired price range using the diamond search tool here on Pricescope, then pick a mounting that you like for those diamonds, in my opinion.

You can, of course, find pre-set diamonds as a complete package from many of the vendors on PS, but you'll typically find the lab reports to be plagued with less specific information than you might like.

I always, always advise to look for the best cut possible even if it means some sacrifice in carat, color and/or clarity - a dazzling sparkle derived from a cut with great light return is often the better choice than a larger, whiter, or 'cleaner' diamond that does not play in the light as well.

Because I am in the trade I cannot recommend specific diamonds or vendors, but there are plenty of people here who can help you with that.

I would suggest starting an entirely new thread as responding on this pre-existing thread is less noticeable to those who may be able to offer assistance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results