shape
carat
color
clarity

stuck looking for oval setting east west

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

namsori

Rough_Rock
hello all.
i have been looking for a setting for some time now but i dont seem to be getting anywhere and i could desperately use your help as you all seem to have such good ideas with other people! this is my situation...

unfortunately, i am not that into jewelry or rings, and i have never worn one before but i am now getting engaged and i will be getting one for the tradition of it i guess.
i have decided that i only like an oval shape that is set east/west as i find those to be the least obtrusive but i have not found anything in stores and i guess i will have to have it custom made but i still cant find one that i truly love. i have seen some other posts on PS of similar requests but most of them are set on prongs. here are my preferences...

1. the stone will be 1 ct. i want the stone to be set as low onto my finger as possible. i have found that bezel or pave settings do this the best, so i have been leaning towards those.

2. i really do not like prongs.

3. i cant have the band be too thick as i find those to be uncomfortable ,which usually rules out flush settings. but i am also nervous of having it too thin and making my fingers look pudgier than they are.

the picture that i posted (if it worked) is one that i found on PS that i like but without the prongs but im not sure how it would look considering my stone is a lot smaller than that one. also i am worried a wedding band would look wierd with this one because of the side things.

any suggestions will be much appreciated!
also does anyone know how much it would cost to custom make something like this?

41HK78AEYRL._SS400_[1].jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
How about this one? It is a custom job from Greenlake.

MAchicksGLcustom001.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
It isn''t a setting for an oval, but I could totally see an EW oval in there...with a partial bezel on the sides...

MAchicksGLcustom002.jpg

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Ow wow I like the Halo one at Pearlman''s! That will be low to your finger also. Good luck!

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Namsori, were you looking for something like this? This particular ring is a stock Stuller setting and doesn''t come in a size large enough for a 1 ct diamond, but it''s a very simple design that any jeweler could make for you. Should be very inexpensive as well.

stuller-70630.jpg

samii

Rough_Rock
I don''t know if it is your style but we saw an absolutely beautiful east/west oval in Judith Arnell Jewellers, Portland when we were there. It had two very fine pave bands holding it up with the oval suspended - just stunning (my boyfriend loved it).

I''ve never seen anything like it before, and they don''t have photos on their website but if you emailed them they may be able to send you one.

H

hlpkaixin3344

thanks all so much for such quick responses. i actually really like the one thats half bezel marquis. i totally see it working for the oval and i like the etchings on the ring too, i just hope it wouldnt make the sides too thick.

urseberry, after seeing the other pics that people posted i think im leaning more towards those antique style as opposed to those flush settings, where the bands seem very thick.

this is great!

also, this might look weird but has anyone ever seen an oval shape that has like an elongated octagonal shape around it? ive seen them around the round stones but never oval, maybe because it would look horrible?

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2007 2:31:44 PM
Anonymous Wrote:
thanks all so much for such quick responses. i actually really like the one thats half bezel marquis. i totally see it working for the oval and i like the etchings on the ring too, i just hope it wouldnt make the sides too thick.

urseberry, after seeing the other pics that people posted i think im leaning more towards those antique style as opposed to those flush settings, where the bands seem very thick.

this is great!

also, this might look weird but has anyone ever seen an oval shape that has like an elongated octagonal shape around it? ive seen them around the round stones but never oval, maybe because it would look horrible?

I don''t think it would hurt to email and ask. In case you''re not near Seattle, it seems they are very web friendly. Here is a link to Greenlake custom info. I have never worked with them personally but would like to hear what they say...
10.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Here is an oval-ish east-west solitaire (the center is a cushion with pave band) by Leon Mege. I'm sure you could request for it to be as low as possible. He also does beautiful thin (but still structurally safe) shanks. I love love love his work.

loser.gif
L's for love.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2007 1:44:01 PM
Author: Love in Bloom
It isn't a setting for an oval, but I could totally see an EW oval in there...with a partial bezel on the sides...
That is one of my favorite settings!

loser.gif
L's for love.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
www.elijewels.com has some in their Vieux Carre' collection.....they do beautiful work.....

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Leon''s setting with that cushion is so pretty!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE east west ovals. And I love east west emerald cuts. ONE caution though. If you haven''t tried them on your hand, do so before you buy.

I have a couple of oval colored stones and wanted an east west setting... and fortunately I was in a store that had a few (colored stone) ones to try on... and they look awful on my hand!!!! I tried on the N/S ovals and they looked lovely on my hand. Which was so surprising to me, since I didn''t like them N/S in pics and in cases.

Then when we were in Cartier at a GTG, there was an east west emerald cut (diamond) that I fell in LUST with, until I tried it on. Looked WRONG on my hand, just wrong. Neatfreak tried the same ring on and it looked STUNNING on her.

So the moral of the story is... make sure you love the look on your hands before you buy.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s an e/w pink oval with pavé (1.68 ct). You can also see other angles here:

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php?crn=199&rn=334&action=show_detail

HANDSHOT_168PinkOval.jpg

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
... or imagine this as an oval - it''s 1 ct.

ewcush.JPG

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
www.maevona.com has some beautiful ones in their bridal collection (Skye, Stronsay, and Rora are three that either have east/west settings, or could be adapted to them, I think). Warning: the music on the website is vaguely addictive.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
It doesn''t ride too high...

ewcush2.JPG

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I wish I had a photo of my original ering after its Italian reset. It makes a killer oval EW setting. [My friend''s wife''s ering was an oval set in this type of setting - they are well known jewelers in Milan]. This was probably the sleekest setting I have ever seen - sheer perfection - and unbelievably comfortable to wear. I am trying to formulate a succinct description so you can visualize it.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, that one at Pearlman''s is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results