shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuart Moore would be good for me!?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

naomi

Rough_Rock
I would like to express my thought on how I got to think about Stuart Moore would be the best place to buy my diamond ring over internet or other B&M. (I am not a native English speaker, so please put up with my English).

After I saw an emerald cut ring at one B&M (not Stuart Moore), (by the way, what B&M stands for? I am guessing it means high-end brand names), I posted my question at this site titled “EC diamond purchase at a brand store” on 7/29/04. I was hoping to get some reply which could convince me to consider internet store, rather than B&M. No feed-back so far only enhanced my uneasiness toward internet shopping – that is I would have to go through do-it-yourself-like experience for $20,000 spending.

What Stuart Moore makes me comfortable so far (I am still considering, not in the process of actual purchasing) is that its overall ring and diamond pricing seems to be much cheaper (over 50% for 1~1.5 carat D,E/VVS) compared to Harry Winston-like high end retailers (based on my several telephone simple inquiry). And unlike high end brand which may allow me a custom-like design only if I can spend at least $100,000 (in general, I mean), at Stuart Moore as every ring is made fresh from scratch (as not casted on mold), I have been explained that I can change a ring arm width, height, the number of surrounding/side diamonds, adding my own design idea, or combining several designs into one piece (all as long as integrity is met by designer/store standard). In typical internet ready-made ring, I assume one type of ring can support certain range size of diamonds, less flexible. I concluded that Stuart Moore’s quality is as good as Tiffany-like brand for $20~50k range ring and cheaper. (I believe that Harry and others serve a different purpose--- for the best $100k/$1million,etc. stone which only readily available by them, for people who want best with no need to see price tag, a collector, etc., to match a ring with your already owned watch, and so on.)

I have another unknown issue for interest store. It seems that internet store can ship stones to an independent appraiser only several stone at a time, not like Stuart Moore 6~8 stones?

I am writing this still hoping to get opinion from internet experts to change my impression/anxiety/understanding toward internet diamond shopping.

Anyway this site is so informative and I am appreciated all contributions/ professionalism/craftsmanship of experts at the forum.

Regards,
Naomi

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Naomi,

It's lovely to hear that you are happy with your shopping experience at Stuart Moore. They do, indeed, make excellent products. I'm a little surprised that you are feeling ignored by the internet dealers that visit here at pricescope. Perhaps they misseed your message and this thread will give them another opportunity.

To answer your questions. B&M stands for Brick and Mortar and it refers to dealers where the primary shopping experience occurs at a physical location.

The difficulty with shipping stones 8 at a time to an independent appraiser is the same for the internet only dealers, for Stuart Moore, and everybody else. It's about the money. When you add up the cost of insured shipping both directions, and the appraisers time to examine and grade 8 stones, the total can be quite a bit. If you then consider the time that 8 stones are removed from the dealers inventory and therefore are not available to be sold to someone else, and you have a substantial expense for both the store and for you (They are not an independent appraiser if they are working for the store, they should be working for you). Most customers prefer to save their money and most dealers don't want to lose control of that much inventory for that long but, as an appraiser I can assure you, it's ok with me if you want to bring in 8 stones to be examined.
1.gif

Do keep us posted about what you decide.

Very Best Regards,

Neil Beaty, GG, ISA
www.gemlab.us

naomi

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the reply. I am still open to internet stores and the information you provided makes me lean a little more (than now) to the internet option. I will inform you on my decision.

Naomi

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I've never made a huge purchase over the internet, so I can't really help you there. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who can share their experiences with you though.

I have been to the Stuart Moore location in Newport Beach. Their jewelery is really amazing. I am sure that you will get a very beautiful ring there. You just can't go wrong with the jewelery they carry. They're are very unique and beautiful.

I do believe there was some controvery about Stuart Moore here a while ago. I think the main thing that people objected to is that you can not bring your own diamond in to set in their designs. You can only choose a diamond through Stuart Moore. If there are others who remember that debate, then I hope they chime in. In the meantime, if you do a search for Stuart Moore, I am sure that you will find some interesting reading.

Please post pictures of your ring when you get it. I am a big fan of Stuart Moore shops, the designers they carry are just so talented!!

naomi

Rough_Rock
Hi,Sumi. Thank you for your comment.

In my understanding, Stuart Moore can make new ring by taking stone out of your own ring and putting it into their design (I inquired them, and they say it is possible). (But they will not work on a loose stone unless purchased through them as we know.) I have not done this so I do not know exact detail/policy (you may have to be exiting client?, you may use your stone but has to purchase side diamond?, there could be minimum required price to spend for new ring?, there could be minimum year you have to own a ring?, etc.). But I definetly remember this idea for future when I want to redesign my already owned piece.

Regards,

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Naomi-

Stuart Moore certainly has amazing designs. NO doubt about it. However, if you're interested in having something custom made, and if you have the time, I recommend spending a little while on this forum reading what others have to say about purchasing online. It's probably the best way to ease your mind about it.

I can tell you that I've had excellent online purchasing experiences, and that the PS vendors I've worked with have been wonderful. Visit their websites, and if one of them has a stone you're interested in, give them a call and see how you feel about it. Most vendors I've contacted have gone out of their way to help me, and have given me a ton of information, without ever pressuring me for a sale.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask more questions here!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results