shape
carat
color
clarity

Strontium Titanate..?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bigdog117

Rough_Rock
I just bought a gem of TV it is called an "Strontium Titanate" Can anyone tell me anything about this gem. Like if it is worth the time and money to have it set. The one I got is 4.40ct 10x10mm heart shaped.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was all I could find & here''s the link.

Strontium Titanate: another simulant with a man-made chemical structure SrTiO3 , but with a much lower hardness, 5.5. It has a much higher dispersion than diamond (0.19), and thus far more color-play. It was produced in some quantity in the mid 1950''s, but has been replace by CZ with it''s higher hardness, and better diamond matching dispersion. It''s known as "Fabulite" in the jewelry industry.

Bigdog117

Rough_Rock
with a diamond being a 10 and this only a 5 would it be hard enough for setting into a ring? I am new to this and really intrested in learning more.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It being a 5 on the mohs scale of hardness, I wouldn''t put it in a ring, but rather a necklace. If you do decide to put it in a ring then pick a bezel setting, that way it would be protected. good luck.

Bigdog117

Rough_Rock
Being a heart shape that will be tough. The girl I got it for prefers the ring. Looks like I might have to shop more! Thanks for the help and advice.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I''m surprised that they are still selling this stuff! Way, way back in the early 70s my mom had a ring with one of these stones in it. It did sparkle but got heavily scratched and abraded so it looked cloudy and pasty in no time. If you are looking for a simulant, my advice would be to go with a CZ. Also, moissanite can look pretty and is able to be heat treated to do away with any green tint.
1.gif

Luv

Bigdog117

Rough_Rock
Wow scratches is a thing that never crossed my mind. Yet another thing to think about now, Thanks... kidding thanks for the help and advice.

Bigdog117

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the help after reading all this I am going to send this back and look for a much harder gem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results