shape
carat
color
clarity

Strong Light Yellow Fluorescence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I read in the tutorial that fluoresence other than blue should be avoided in non-fancy color stones. Should one stay away from strong light yellow fluorescence in, say a "G" color stone as a general rule. Under what circumstances should I consider it?

Thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Strong yellow fluorescence in a G color diamond would be very smart to avoid. It would be quite rare, but not something a dealer would like to buy from you later on. This would be quite an adverse thing to do with so many more desirable combinations and diamonds readily available.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 4/26/2004 10:52:48 AM noobie wrote:

. Under what circumstances should I consider it?

>----------------

A... curiosity?
Did you actually find one? These are not at all common !

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 4/26/2004 11:01:49 AM valeria101 wrote:

A... curiosity?
Did you actually find one? These are not at all common !

----------------
Yes, I am seriously considering buying it. It's graded as a G color, but just recently noticed the strong light yellow fluorescence and wanted some opinions. However, I don't have enough diamonds or budget to buy for curiosity
eek.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I thought - and could be wrong - that strong yellow would be desireable in a fancy yellow stone.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Is there such a thing as strong light yellow fluor?

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/26/2004 11:40:55 AM fire&ice wrote:

I thought - and could be wrong - that strong yellow would be desireable in a fancy yellow stone.
----------------

Just purchased a FIY stone with medium yellow, very cool. It is already a "strong fancy intense" not under UV, but the fluorescence gives it a nice extra "zip" in daylight. At least I've convinced myself of that
1.gif

Noobie, listen to Dave
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, fluorescence is a good thing whenever is of the same color as the stone: so blue goes with white and yellow goes with yellow (see the little story about fluo 'replacing' the spectrum absorbed by the body color of the stone.. yada, yada...). I am not sure what "light yellow" fluorescence means, but there is yellow fluo and white fluo so this migh be some mix ? Cool
1.gif

Of course, david Atlas is right to say that this is be a hard sell - but diamonds do not resell for allot anyway. All in all, this is reason enough to expect some discount on the respective stone. Wether this rare phenomenon shows in any way is yet another matter altogether. Most likely, any visual impact would be really, really subtle - fluorescence is supposed to be an identification note on the cert, nothing more. Irrational the pricing 'against' fluo might be, it does work that way and the price of the stone should reflect it.

This could be a good buy: a stone with a G-H facing and good value. No 'good value' ? than a no-excuse H would be a more straightforward choice, unless you are a gemologist likely to enjoy the oddity of it as is.

Oh well
rolleyes.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
are you talking about a jubilee? I think I saw one listed that had strong yellow...thought it was very interesting...never seen that before...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gee! maybe Jonathan would care to take a pic of it under UW near a medium/strong blue one
9.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the help, (Dave I kinda knew it, but always good to get reinforcement) ... guess I need to keep looking
sad.gif

wallace

Shiny_Rock
THis stone is calssified as a G colour, and is threrfore being sold as a "white" stone. Intense fluorescence would not be enought top change it's colour category to one of fancy colour.

I think that's so cool that you found a yellow fluorescence! I wish I could see it. I also understood this to be very rare.
But, in light of your comment, maybe it is best left for someone who is a curiosities collector- thanks for bringing it up, though!

I suppose strong light yellow fluor. might have to do with the saturation of the extraneous colour but maybe clarification would be better - is that what it read on the report?

Mark Turnowski

Rough_Rock
I have to very strongly agree with David on this one. This is not a question of resale value but rather what is the true worth of a yellow fluorescent diamond. In the market place in New York hardly any. Though it is extremely rare to find a diamond with this type of fluorescent it is the kiss of death for for any manufacturer who receives this grade. It is hard enough to sell a white diamond(G) color with strong blue fluorescence it is virtually impossible with yellow. Do yourself a favor and search for another diamond. Perhaps one day you would like to upgrade. This diamond will remove all those possibilites.

Mark Turnowski G.G.
Engagement Rings Direct

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results