shape
carat
color
clarity

Strange Closet Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
This is a little random, but I''m hoping someone will have some ideas/insight! :)

We just moved into our "new" (old - circa 1930) house. My closet a) has a window in it and b) doesn''t have a light OR a plug for a light.

The window does have a shade, and on my mother''s advice, I keep it pulled down since I''m afraid of my clothes getting bleached by the sunlight. But, it''s a little tedious when I''m in a hurry to be closing and opening shades (and yes, I just realized that I''m complaining about something that takes 10 seconds, so this is a little bit of a laziness problem, too), but currently, the window is pretty necessary since there is very little light coming in from our bedroom and no real light source in the closet. Our house is a duplex, and I noticed that my neighbor put sheers up in her closet window, and doesn''t use the shade at all.

If I put up sheers, would that be enough of a sun barrier to not bleach my clothes?
Or, is it ridiculous to be worrying about the sun bleaching my clothes in the first place? Is Mom worrying me unnecessarily?

Second question (or fourth, I guess) - any ideas for the lighting issue? DH was so sweet and put in a tap light while I was gone last week, but I''d need about 12 of those things before I can tell whether I''m grabbing my navy pants or my black ones.

Lastly, the house is a rental and though we do have a year lease (fingers crossed that we''ll be ready to enter the housing market by next fall!), I''m looking for cheap and easy solutions.

Any suggestions for me would be so greatly appreciated!

35.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I think your clothes may eventually get faded a bit. You could get a type of chandelier, hang it from a hook, and run the cord to a plug inside or outside of the closet. They can be really cute!

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/sm465/index.cfm?pkey=clig%7Ck&cm_src=sch

There is also a fabric cord cover to make it look nicer!
9.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I hear ya!!! I live in an old house, too. The windows are in our closets not only for light, but also to deter moths. For some reason, the clothes-eaters don''t like sunlight (or something like that). We have blinds on our windows. (I was told that the sun may bleach the clothes, too.) BUT, we also have a light. We have an electric sconce on the outside wall of two closets. It was quite easy to use that pre-ran electrical into the other side of the wall into the closet.

The only other thought I have for lighting is the little Coleman "lantern". We have one for emergencies. It''s just a little plastic light that turns on with a switch, and man, does it give off some light!!

Good Luck!!
2.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I was going to tell you ...to just come out!

He he...I crack myself up sometimes. Just me...and giggles.

OK...I agree with your mommie. Unless you buy your clothes at Wally world and they are all polyester or Styrofoam, protect them from the sun. Or at least periodically switch them from right shoulder in to right shoulder out...do the hokie pokie and turn yourself about...sorry. I seem to be a tad loopy tonight.

One suggestion is to go to Lowes and head for the window shade department. They offer this clingon (oh gosh, here I go again...I am thinking star trek...you know the Klingons?) any way they have this film that you just attach to glass. It will block some intense direct light. That should help and still keep the light source. They have frosted....and patterned. And even some that look just like lace. NO commitment, and you can always peel it back if you need to take a peep. You can also buy a small amount of UV film and just tint the window.

Another idea I just learned having toured a Mid Century Modern home in my city. They had taken textured Plexiglas and cut it the size of the window. Then attached two hinges on the plexi and hinged it to the window frame. Added a knob to make opening easier. It may sound strange...but it was genius. You still get the light, you get the privacy without commitment, and then you have an option to open it and use the window as usual.

Another idea is a Roman Shade. Pennys can sell you a ready made for about $20. Quik drawstring up and down. Or buy the better one that drops from the top downward. I really get annoyed with miniblinds. But for a budget rental...you can get those really cheap. Just angle the blinds upward while still open for light. It will direct the sunrays to the ceiling.

I would run a cord with a clamp on trouble/light. That way you can reposition it to aim where you need it to. If you have space attach mirrors on the back wall or door to trap and reflect the light you are getting. And make sure the closet is painted white to reflect too!

DKS

you can rent a closet monkey to work the window blinds so you won't have to

Kayakqueen83

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/8/2007 1:03:59 AM
Author: door knob solitaire
I was going to tell you ...to just come out!

He he...I crack myself up sometimes. Just me...and giggles.

haha You don''t just crack yourself up DKS... That made me laugh too!
9.gif

I would be worried about fading in this situation as well. I think with just sheers you may still get some fading... I''m not sure if it would be noticeable in only a years time, but I know that there was some serious fading caused by sunlight on my couches that were by a window, in less then three years. I would suggest what oobiecoo wrote. The plug-in chandelier wouldn''t cause any major changes to your rental but you could still get some substantial light in your closet when you needed it.
Good Luck!

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I have a wall mounted light in my closet, I think its the type made to go over a piece of artwork or something. It hangs on the wall, plugs into an extension cord (I tacked the cord along the baseboard so its not in the way), and provides enough light for me.

I''m not sure how much fading you''ll get from the sun, but it seems like a reasonable concern, plus you might need light when its dark out, so I''d hang a light in there.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Great ideas, all! Thanks! I like that idea of the lamp that''s made to go over artwork, I''m thinking it might be the most attractive option that will stay within the budget (I really don''t want to spend more than $50 on closet-revamping). We''ll definitely head out to Lowes or Menards (we went to Menards last Saturday...I don''t know if it''s just an Iowa thing or what, but that place was PACKED!) over the weekend. I bet they would have that type of lighting or, the clamp on light might be a cheaper alternative (I don''t know why I didn''t think of that! My dad and grandfather both have those for their workbenches). I think, while it''s not exactly the most attractive option, I might go for that window cling stuff too...LOL, I knew exactly what you were talking about b/c I remember an episode of trading spaces or some other house show where they made fun of someone for haivng it. Oh well, I''ll gladly be that woman if it means I don''t have to mess with the shade every time I want to grab a sweatshirt or a pair of shoes. Thank you all so much!!!

AND...DKS, I KNEW someone was going to crack a closet joke! Love that it was you...your posts crack me up all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results