shape
carat
color
clarity

Strack still the best resource? And how is the GIA course?

bigsciota

Rough_Rock
It's been 16 years since it was published and it seems like there's been a decent bit of change, especially in the freshwater sector, but is Strack still the top dog for resources about pearls? Hoping for a more in-depth resource than simply buying guides and basic valuations.

And on a somewhat related note, the most recent threads about the GIA Pearls program here seem to be from 2013/14ish. Anyone taken it more recently? Any thoughts? Mostly just curious, I find them fairly fascinating.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve taken the GIA courses and they’re great, but I found this course more in-depth and FREE!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

Here is the link. I’m on 3/4 done because it’s so in-depth! Strack I haven’t heard of- is it a journal?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also recommend the Pearls As One course! The information is continually updated via the Q & A at the end of each chapter.

I have Pearls by Strack. I'd say it is still the book to have for all saltwater pearls, but the cultured FWP info is dated. So many innovations in FW perliculture since 2005.

Renee Newman's Pearl Buying Guide, the 6th edition of 2017, is the most recent and covers many of the FW developments. I recommend it to anyone who only owns previous editions.

bigsciota

Rough_Rock
Brilliant, thanks! I'll have to track down the Newman guide and I've signed up for the Pearls as One course. Would love to get the Strack as well but will have to wait to jump on a good price for it.

It's been 16 years since it was published and it seems like there's been a decent bit of change, especially in the freshwater sector, but is Strack still the top dog for resources about pearls? Hoping for a more in-depth resource than simply buying guides and basic valuations.

And on a somewhat related note, the most recent threads about the GIA Pearls program here seem to be from 2013/14ish. Anyone taken it more recently? Any thoughts? Mostly just curious, I find them fairly fascinating.

Hi there, have you come across 'Pearls - a Practical Guide? its a really interesting book about pearls...not technical as such but some great background on the farming process, and gives straightforward instruction on knotting and setting etc? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1785008129/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_BGNCQ2SSZ7YVGV3F9D0F

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results