shape
carat
color
clarity

Storing Sterling... Need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ladies,

I have a few pieces in sterling silver with a lot of sentimental value... stuff my late grandmother fled her country with, that kind of thing. Some of it I would like to wear more often, but polishing it is a B*&CH! Someone once told me that if you put silver in ziplocks, it doesn''t tarnish. Well, what about plastic wrap? If you wrap the pieces separately in platic wrap, would that work? Is it an oxygen thing?

Or do you have other ideas? Quick silver polishing ideas?

Thanks!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know about the plastic wrap, but I have quite a bit of sterling silver jewelry, and it''s all stored in small plastic jeweler''s bags. I haven''t had a problem with it tarnishing. I use a polishing cloth to clean and make the items shinyi from time to time.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
for antique silver, PLEASE don''t dip or use tarnex. like stripping antique furniture, makes informed collectors cry.

use a polishing cloth or silver paste ''n water.

i would purchase from barron''s or ross simon some silver fabric storage bags or boxes.

can''t wait to see soem before and after pix?
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it has to do with stuff in the air. Some areas (like here) are worse than others. I have several pieces of silver in plastic wrap, in my entertainment center, and it definitely helps.

As far as my jewelry goes, I bought a specially lined jewelry box that helps keep it from tarnishing.

A polishing cloth helps for quick touch ups. (mines a dry cloth)

Though I''ve never tried to track some down (my mom said to try a pharmacy), mom always had little cubes of Camphor in her china cabinet to deter tarnishing too.

LittleRock

Shiny_Rock
Someone at a gem show told me this... Place a piece of white chalk in your jewel box or in a ziploc bag with a pice of jewlery. It absorbs moisture and helps prevent tarnishing jewelry. I''ve never tried it though.

She was a vendor selling lots of silver jewlery though
9.gif

MrsRogers

Rough_Rock
As far as polishing silver goes I really have nothing to offer, but when it comes to cleaning silver I line a small bowl with aluminum foil (shiny side facing), place 2 tablespoons of baking soda into the lined bowl along with my silver jewelry, and then pour in some boiling hot water. I let it sit for maybe 20 - 30 seconds, then pull it out and dry with regular paper towel as the baking soda leaves a residue, but I am always astonished at how clean my silver comes out.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I believe they have silver storing boxes and pouches that prevent tarnishing....I don''t have one, and my silver gets so bad I hardly wear it. I think I have one bracelet that came in a tarnish resistant pouch...and it works!

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
Associated Bag makes a cloudy bag that is tarnish preventative. Connosuers makes tarnish preventing velvet bags also.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
wrap it in acid free paper and vacuum bag it using a vacuum sealer.
It will never tarnish then.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/17/2007 1:38:02 PM
Author: Ellen
Yes, it has to do with stuff in the air. Some areas (like here) are worse than others. I have several pieces of silver in plastic wrap, in my entertainment center, and it definitely helps.

As far as my jewelry goes, I bought a specially lined jewelry box that helps keep it from tarnishing.

A polishing cloth helps for quick touch ups. (mines a dry cloth)

Though I''ve never tried to track some down (my mom said to try a pharmacy), mom always had little cubes of Camphor in her china cabinet to deter tarnishing too.
I have a lined canteen which is specially made to store my dinner silverware, it never tarnishes. I also have a set of old fashioned silver fish knives and forks which are part of my set, however they don''t fit into the canteen and you should see the tarnish on them
7.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I guess this calls for a trip to my friendly neighbourhood jeweler''s supply store.

I''m kind of intrigued by the chalk idea. Any chemists out there wanna weigh in on why this would work?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2007 7:30:06 AM
Author: Independent Gal
Thanks everyone! I guess this calls for a trip to my friendly neighbourhood jeweler''s supply store.

I''m kind of intrigued by the chalk idea. Any chemists out there wanna weigh in on why this would work?
I am just wondering until LadyK chimes in with the chalk, it is alkaline in composition I think and the tarnishing process might be acidic in nature, therefore the alkalinity of the chalk may retard the tarnishing process. I could be way off base though...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 6:15:00 AM
Author: Lorelei

I have a lined canteen which is specially made to store my dinner silverware, it never tarnishes. I also have a set of old fashioned silver fish knives and forks which are part of my set, however they don''t fit into the canteen and you should see the tarnish on them
7.gif
Is there any way to wrap them individually in paper towels and then squeeze them in where ever? If not, I would polish them and wrap them up in plastic wrap. I know it''s a hassle if you use them very often, but it would be less of a hassle than polishing it every time.
40.gif

The air here is absolutely awful. I only have one silver vase that I leave out, and I''m ready to put it away too. Stuff literally starts turning over night. Makes me sad, I have some beautiful pieces that I''d like to put out, but it''s too much upkeep.
7.gif

I''d like ladyk to weigh in on the chalk and camphor both, as to why that would help.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2007 7:46:16 AM

7.gif
Is there any way to wrap them individually in paper towels and then squeeze them in where ever? If not, I would polish them and wrap them up in plastic wrap. I know it''s a hassle if you use them very often, but it would be less of a hassle than polishing it every time.
40.gif

The air here is absolutely awful. I only have one silver vase that I leave out, and I''m ready to put it away too. Stuff literally starts turning over night. Makes me sad, I have some beautiful pieces that I''d like to put out, but it''s too much upkeep.
7.gif

I''d like ladyk to weigh in on the chalk and camphor both, as to why that would help.
I will have to try that Ellen, they are quite ornate with beading and detailing, hence a complete PITA for cleaning - yuck.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 7:38:20 AM

I am just wondering until LadyK chimes in with the chalk, it is alkaline in composition I think and the tarnishing process might be acidic in nature, therefore the alkalinity of the chalk may retard the tarnishing process. I could be way off base though...
I don''t know, I know nuffin bout that stuff! Maybe....

I wonder too if chalk would absorb moisture, which I think helps tarnish.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 7:48:01 AM

40.gif

7.gif

I will have to try that Ellen, they are quite ornate with beading and detailing, hence a complete PITA for cleaning - yuck.
Oh Lorelei, they sound beautiful! I''d love to see a pic. We should do a thread sometime on silver pieces!
30.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 7:38:20 AM

Date: 5/18/2007 7:30:06 AM
Author: Independent Gal

regarding the camphor, that won''t do anything to prevent sulfur tarnishing the silver. just stinks the cabinet up.

It''s a chemical reaction. The reaction is like this:

sulfur (in air pollution, eggs, mayonnaise, in liquid dish detergents) + silver = some form of silver sulfur compound (black tarnish). It''s not dirt. It''s not dirty. the sulfur (many forms) in the air in my house turns my silver black.

now, the acidic component of air pollution (NOx and SOx reacts with water in the air to form nitric and sulfuric acid. You frequently hear of acid rain or acid depostiion. Calcium carbonate reacts with acid to neutralize this -- like tums for upset stomach. I do have chalk (tums) in all my silver boxes to catch any sulfur acid deposition.

please don''t dip antique silver. removes the patina. that "blue look" is highly desirable among silver collectors.

i keep my silver jewelry in an old flatware box with a piece of chalk in it. I put it up clean -- washed with bar soap, rinsed, and dried. no liquid soaps. the sulfate ion (sodium lauryl sulfate) in detergent causes tarnish.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2007 7:50:11 AM

40.gif

7.gif

Oh Lorelei, they sound beautiful! I''d love to see a pic. We should do a thread sometime on silver pieces!
30.gif
They are pretty and not often seen these days, they have a type of filigree design on the handles. They need a darn good clean though, I just took one out and looked at it and cringed!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock

7.gif
40.gif

7.gif

the paper towels are full of sulfuric acid residue, therefore would turn the silver blacker faster.

order a used silver flatware box off ebay or from a junk store.

regarding the ornate beading, just polish with a sunshine cloth the top most layers, the black left over in the crevices is highly desirable. people pay money to have their silver re-patina''d.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2007 8:05:50 AM
Author: ladykemma

7.gif
40.gif

7.gif

the paper towels are full of sulfuric acid residue, therefore would turn the silver blacker faster.

order a used silver flatware box off ebay or from a junk store.

regarding the ornate beading, just polish with a sunshine cloth the top most layers, the black left over in the crevices is highly desirable. people pay money to have their silver re-patina''d.
You learn something every day, thanks LadyK ! That will make my life easier anyway when I have to clean it.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
sunshine cloths are available from ebay.

not "clean" it. "Polish" it. It's not dirt -- it's not dirty.
1.gif

I'm going to polish my silver now.
3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 7:58:31 AM
regarding the camphor, that won''t do anything to prevent sulfur tarnishing the silver. just stinks the cabinet up.
I didn''t recall these pieces ever looking tarnished, so I did a search. Apparently it does deter tarnishing, as I found several links that suggested it.
2.gif

The reference to camphor is in Step 3, Prevention.

http://www.estes-simmons.com/silver_care.html

And actually, I never thought it stunk. I have fond memories of opening that cabinet and smelling the camphor.
5.gif

Of course, I liked the smell of gasoline when I was little too.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2007 8:10:05 AM
sunshine cloths are available from ebay.

not ''clean'' it. ''Polish'' it. It''s not dirt -- it''s not dirty.
1.gif

I''m going to polish my silver now.
3.gif
oops !

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
reed and barton also makes custom cases with the tarnish preventative lining. If you are so inclined.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady K... I''m going to go order those cloths now... not for my silver serveware (all stored properly at this time)... but the huge pottery barn silver plated reindeer candleabra I have that is a complete PITA to polish. I don''t know why I didn''t just get the brass or bronze... but NO, I had to get the silver. Dumb move. He looks lovely polished though, regal. I bought him new candles too.

Thanks for the lesson in silver Lady K!
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results