shape
carat
color
clarity

Stores in Australia to view rubies

Miss Confused

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Helping a friend to find an engagement ring and the lovely lady in question really wants a ruby. While I would be comfortable selecting modern cut diamonds from afar, coloured stones are an entirely different beast. Considering the extreme price differences due to nuance I am pushing for the couple to do some browsing and see the same stones IRL to be able to evaluate what they find attractive and what they can compromise on. The caveat is that they live in Sydney and I have no clue where to window shop or shop for that matter there. Any leads? Basically anywhere with a decent selection or at least a couple nice stones

If anyone has seen something that fits the following bill please do guide me in the right direction. And do let me know if we are living in La La land regarding budget haha. Budget is around the USD 10k mark for the stone but there is some flexibility. Current request is 1.xx ruby, colour is key and the wish is for as close to true red as possible (needs to work with clothes in bright reds as she wears that a lot, so no stones that appear pink in most lights), shape is very open as long as not heart shaped nor sharp corners, native cut is fine as long as its not too terrible, heat is fine, decent clarity aka clearer stone is preferred

Thank you!

Hi all,

Helping a friend to find an engagement ring and the lovely lady in question really wants a ruby. While I would be comfortable selecting modern cut diamonds from afar, coloured stones are an entirely different beast. Considering the extreme price differences due to nuance I am pushing for the couple to do some browsing and see the same stones IRL to be able to evaluate what they find attractive and what they can compromise on. The caveat is that they live in Sydney and I have no clue where to window shop or shop for that matter there. Any leads? Basically anywhere with a decent selection or at least a couple nice stones

If anyone has seen something that fits the following bill please do guide me in the right direction. And do let me know if we are living in La La land regarding budget haha. Budget is around the USD 10k mark for the stone but there is some flexibility. Current request is 1.xx ruby, colour is key and the wish is for as close to true red as possible (needs to work with clothes in bright reds as she wears that a lot, so no stones that appear pink in most lights), shape is very open as long as not heart shaped nor sharp corners, native cut is fine as long as its not too terrible, heat is fine, decent clarity aka clearer stone is preferred

Thank you!

Hi there! I don't think your friend should have any trouble finding a fine quality 1ct. or so ruby in the $10k range.

I've heard good things about this jeweler, but since I have no firsthand knowledge, always proceed with caution.

This gentleman is also well-known in the collector world.

Found this shop online, but I've no idea of the quality, extent of inventory, or reputation.

Ditto for this shop.

Good luck!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought a sapphire and a chrysoprase from Doug! He's super nice!!! Bespoke Gems posted by Autumn above.

It was probably five years ago, before Covid. He had an office in the city, you could call him and arrange a time to come in and see stones. I'm not sure how he operates now as the post Covid world has changed so much!

I have bought a sapphire and a chrysoprase from Doug! He's super nice!!! Bespoke Gems posted by Autumn above.

It was probably five years ago, before Covid. He had an office in the city, you could call him and arrange a time to come in and see stones. I'm not sure how he operates now as the post Covid world has changed so much!

Is that Doug's chrysoprase in your profile pic, mellow? It's ravishing! I too have a heart-shaped chryso. :kiss2:

Miss Confused

Rough_Rock
@Autumn in New England you are a total Rockstar - thank you so much. Had completely forgotten Doug was in Australia! This seems like a great starting point, see some decent run of the mill jewellers and then see some full on stunners

@mellowyellowgirl thank you for the confirmation!!! Also loving your set

Jadeite for the heart Autumn!

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190927095921948_COVER.jpg IMG_20190925_095843.jpg

My chrysoprase from Doug. My son has it now as it's too cost prohibitive to set it in Australia. I wished I'd bought a bigger one since he loves playing with it.

20180117_154302.jpg

I should have known that was jade! Mmm it's yummy. And the signature glow of fine chryso never fails to make me swooooon.
manybounce.gif

@Autumn in New England you are a total Rockstar - thank you so much. Had completely forgotten Doug was in Australia! This seems like a great starting point, see some decent run of the mill jewellers and then see some full on stunners

@mellowyellowgirl thank you for the confirmation!!! Also loving your set

Do let us know how she makes out! :)

Miss Confused

Rough_Rock
Will do! And will likely be back once we have some options

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jarrett Jewellers at Town Hall Arcade is my jeweller. It will probably be best for them to go in and explain what they’d like and he can call in some stones for viewing.
Its unlikely that an jeweller will have a “stock of rubies on hand”.
I can’t recommend them highly enough, they did my engagement ring reset plus a heap of other jobs for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results