shape
carat
color
clarity

Stong blue fluorescence an issue with fancy yellow diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AshleysMom

Rough_Rock
I am considering the purchase of a fancy yellow ring, however, the GIA report says it has strong blue fluorescence. I have two questions, 1) should I be concerned about this and 2) should this impact the price? The details of the ring are listed below. The purchase price is $32,000 which includes two D colored side (oval) diamonds with a total carat weight of 1.0.

Shape - oval brilliant
measurements - 11.21 x .46 x 4.67
weight - 2.99 carat
depth - 62.6%
table - 62%
girdle - very thick to extremely thick, faceted
cutlet - none
polish - good
symmetry - good
clarity - SI1
origin - natural
grade - fancy yellow
distribution - even
flourescence - strong blue
comments: twinning wisps are not shown, surface graining is not shown

feather, indented natural and natural all indicated on the diagram

Is the strong blue fluorescence something to avoid and if not, is the ring over-priced?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a negative consideration (but not uncommon) because the blue will wash out the yellow when you look at the diamond in daylight or other light with a fair bit of UV light.

GIA do use grading lights with some UV light - so they should have graded it accurately - but you should be sure to see the stone (with another comparison without blue fluoro) in SHADED daylight. If it washes out too much then you will know what you are buying.

The price may already be discounted - I do not do prices - especially from a distance.

If you are buyng via the web unseen - ask for 2 photo''s with a non fluoro yellow - one in daylight and one in artificail light - then you will see the effect

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results