shape
carat
color
clarity

Stones with this color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone I''m hoping to find out some answers to my question from those of you who know alot more than I do about colored gems.

I will be graduating college in May and I have been back and forth on the idea of a class ring. I think I''ve finally decided to not go with the "class ring" but to get just a regular ring and have the inside engraved that way I will know what it is for but by looking at it you wouldn''t know.

Here is my question. I would like to use stones that are my school colors. What stones are purple? I know of the amethyst but what others are also purple? Also are there any grey-colored stones?

Thanks for all your help!

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
There are actually quite a few purple stones. Sapphire (which wears very well) spinel, (another good wearing stone), tourmaline, some garnets, scapolite, kunzite (tends to be more pinkish).

It really comes down to how much you want to spend on a purple stone.

As far as gray stones, that might be a little tougher. There are plenty of opaque gray materials but I can''t think of any gray materials that are available. You see the occaisional gray diamond or tourmaline but nothing that you could just go out and find easily. Smokey quartz, maybe?

Good Luck!!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Did you see in your other thread a couple people recommended using a white metal, like platinum since it has some grey undertones, and if you never polish it, it will grey!

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Sparkles, yes I did see that just a little bit ago. Thanks.
1.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mirre,

Maybe kunzite and amethyst are the most reliably "purple" stones. I also think that some tanzanite is quite purplish, but it depends on the stone. These three purple stones are usually less expensive than purple sapphires.

As for gray, I had to check one of my books. Apparently, nephrite ( related to Jade) comes in shades of gray. Black opals sometimes have a gray tone to them. Smoky quartz can be grayish-brown.

35.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Spinel and sapphire can be gray.

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your help. I''ve decided to go with amethyst because it is the easiest to find and I will probably just put the purple stones in a white gold setting and maybe get a white stone of some sort. I really like the look of the smoky quartz but sometimes it looks a little more brown than gray and for what I''m wanting it for I''m not sure it''s the best route. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results