shape
carat
color
clarity

Stones that are appropriate for full eternity bands

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking about a full eternity style band with tsavorites, tourmalines, well with green stuff ;-) In this setting Annette''s U-Prong or something similar. Additionally, I wanted a veritable rainbow of green from mossy, grassy, limey, olivey.
I e-mailed Barry asking about this and he said he doesn''t cut for this style and advised against stones with a hardness <8 MOH.
Has anyone put stones softer than 8 in this style of setting? What were your results? Are emeralds my only choice for green, 8 MOH stones?

Anna

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Chrysoberyls, but I think they're tougher to find in green than in yellow or brown.

eta: or you could hunt down green sapphires.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not do garnets (tsavorite) or emeralds. Emerald is a vanadium/chromium bearing green beryl and would be a poor choice as an eternity ring. Your best bet is sapphires.

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
Darn it! What is it with me, green stones and settings that just won''t work with what I pick?!?!?
29.gif

Kismet I will search out some chrysoberyls to see what is out there.
Chrono Thanks for the advisement against tsavorite as that was another option I was looking into.

Perhaps picking out impossible combinations is a sign
39.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnets are perfectly fine in rings but not eternity rings because they tend to get a lot of abuse.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Ummm - irradiated green diamonds or olive green (brown-yellow-green in all sorts of combinations) can be relatively cheap and easy to source, particularly if you want variety of colour rather than consistency, and they are hard...

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Vanadium chrysoberyl is the minty green variety (the regular one is similar to peridot). Alexandrite can be green, but only about half the time
9.gif
Andalusite can also be green, but it tends to have some other colors mixed in as well. All of these are very durable stones, and green sapphires or diamonds were already mentioned, so there''s quite a few options. Although, I''m not sure which of these stones can be easily found in the size/shape you''re after. Good luck!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I love the setting and your idea is really neat. Maybe you''ll be able to mix green diamonds and green sapphires?

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results