shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone seems cracked - what now?

Gabethebabe

Rough_Rock
Hello all, first post in this forum, since I'm looking for help/advice.

I bought a 1.00ct, H, Si2, ideal cut lab grown diamond with HRD certification in a simple white gold 4-prong setting in an on-line shop (for the moment: anonymous). Upon inspection it appears to have a crack about halfway between culet and girdle, see pictures below.
P3jtbJ8.jpg

IPuMsv6.jpg

Obviously I have contacted seller. No reply yet (less than 12h ago, holiday time will not help), so I'm not sure how seller will react.
My idea is to get a replacement. What can you recommend me with regard to the complaint and return process, anything I should take care to do?
Is there any kind of value in keeping this ring and accept a partial refund? Not my preferred solution, but I'm not closing it off either.

Thanks!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a SI2.

In all likelihood you are seeing the metallic inclusion seen in MMD.

Gabethebabe

Rough_Rock
Oh boy, and I thought I had learned a lot about diamonds lately.

I must say, that is a relief, thank you very much and pardon my my ignorance. I think I will pass a jewelry store anyway for appraisal, but I feel a lot better now :o

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy, and I thought I had learned a lot about diamonds lately.

I must say, that is a relief, thank you very much and pardon my my ignorance. I think I will pass a jewelry store anyway for appraisal, but I feel a lot better now :o

You don’t need an appraisal.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a SI2.

In all likelihood you are seeing the metallic inclusion seen in MMD.

I don’t know why on earth you would think that what is clearly a girdle reflection is an inclusion.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh boy, and I thought I had learned a lot about diamonds lately

Welcome to the wonderful world of pricescope. If you stick around, you will soon realize your learning has just begun. (You will have a lot of fun too.)

This is a recurring question that pops up at least three or four times per year. Maybe you can be the one to deliver the relieving news next time.

Wink

Gabethebabe

Rough_Rock
Welcome to the wonderful world of pricescope. If you stick around, you will soon realize your learning has just begun. (You will have a lot of fun too.)

Wink
Thanks, but actually my diamond journey is over. I don't care about diamonds really. I am a heathen in this forum :evil2:. It was my wife who turns 50 in 3 days that wanted a 1.00ct diamond (her biggest one to date was 0.6). She wanted to breach that psychological barrier of 1 carat :)

So I went out and scoured the www for diamond sellers and found a lot of information and sellers.

Also I checked eBay but ditched that source really quickly when I realized most sellers work with "internal" certifications and it is very easy to understand that your "VS2 F" diamond is not going to be just that. They way they handle their feedback is that any time a customer complains about receiving an inferior stone, they return the money in exchange for a positive vote. So I didn't put my trust in 1000+ 99% feedback diamond sellers from Israel with their special offers.

Also I learned that lab grown diamonds are cheaper than natural ones, but much worse investments. They will lose value over time, while natural diamonds do not or even increase value. The investment aspect of this particular diamond is ZERO, since my wife will never part with it.

So when I found the actual seller, brilliantearth, they had a VERY LARGE collection of lab grown diamonds and I targeted a price tag of about 2k$ and tried to squeeze the most out of it.

The next thing I learned is to value Cut over any other of the 4 C's and I learned about the HCA calculator on this site.

I went for super ideal diamonds and processed the diamond dimensions and corners of dozens of diamonds though the HCA calculator to find my actual diamond that had a score of less than 1. Color = H, which is a color that provides best value/money. My biggest concession were inclusions, as it was an SI2, but the inclusion is actually a single one at the bottom of the diamond and upon request they visually evaluated the diamond and informed me it came up eye clean, so I concluded that this particular relatively large inclusion was not very visible. So there was no need to go down to something like VS2 and thus saved myself a decent chunk of money.

It comes with a HRD certificate, which I found is a second tier certification lab. Not as good as GIA/AGS, but not as bad as EGS or some nondescript internal certification company.

The last hurdle I took was to have the ring shipped to an on-line friend in Texas (no sales tax), who shipped it to me without declaring value (saving 600$ in customs, I live in Spain). I AM A DIAMOND SMUGGLER lol

And that's it! I thought I had turned quite knowledgeable about diamonds in a short time, managed to find a good stone and remained within budget.

As you see in my OP, I am not quite as knowledgeable as I thought, but all ended well anyway.

Thanks all. This is probably my last post in this forum. Cheers.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, but actually my diamond journey is over. I don't care about diamonds really. I am a heathen in this forum :evil2:. It was my wife who turns 50 in 3 days that wanted a 1.00ct diamond (her biggest one to date was 0.6). She wanted to breach that psychological barrier of 1 carat :)

So I went out and scoured the www for diamond sellers and found a lot of information and sellers.

Also I checked eBay but ditched that source really quickly when I realized most sellers work with "internal" certifications and it is very easy to understand that your "VS2 F" diamond is not going to be just that. They way they handle their feedback is that any time a customer complains about receiving an inferior stone, they return the money in exchange for a positive vote. So I didn't put my trust in 1000+ 99% feedback diamond sellers from Israel with their special offers.

Also I learned that lab grown diamonds are cheaper than natural ones, but much worse investments. They will lose value over time, while natural diamonds do not or even increase value. The investment aspect of this particular diamond is ZERO, since my wife will never part with it.

So when I found the actual seller, brilliantearth, they had a VERY LARGE collection of lab grown diamonds and I targeted a price tag of about 2k$ and tried to squeeze the most out of it.

The next thing I learned is to value Cut over any other of the 4 C's and I learned about the HCA calculator on this site.

I went for super ideal diamonds and processed the diamond dimensions and corners of dozens of diamonds though the HCA calculator to find my actual diamond that had a score of less than 1. Color = H, which is a color that provides best value/money. My biggest concession were inclusions, as it was an SI2, but the inclusion is actually a single one at the bottom of the diamond and upon request they visually evaluated the diamond and informed me it came up eye clean, so I concluded that this particular relatively large inclusion was not very visible. So there was no need to go down to something like VS2 and thus saved myself a decent chunk of money.

It comes with a HRD certificate, which I found is a second tier certification lab. Not as good as GIA/AGS, but not as bad as EGS or some nondescript internal certification company.

The last hurdle I took was to have the ring shipped to an on-line friend in Texas (no sales tax), who shipped it to me without declaring value (saving 600$ in customs, I live in Spain). I AM A DIAMOND SMUGGLER lol

And that's it! I thought I had turned quite knowledgeable about diamonds in a short time, managed to find a good stone and remained within budget.

As you see in my OP, I am not quite as knowledgeable as I thought, but all ended well anyway.

Thanks all. This is probably my last post in this forum. Cheers.
glad all is working out well
maybe your wife would like to join

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Are you referring to what I circled in blue, or in yellow? The blue is the girdle reflection (I think).

F87BC09B-935F-4879-B1FA-20EE7E214596.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results