shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone Security - 4 prong V 6 prong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

I was talking to my jeweller the other day and I was asking her the differences between a 4 v a 6 prong setting. She said that for a stone of that size (2.2ct) that a 6 prong is more suitable and more secure.......what do ye think?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I conpletely agree with your jeweler on that one. With 4 prongs it''s possible to lose the stone of a single prong is broken. The odds of the stone actually coming out of the setting seem to increase if you''re outdoors, away from home, and the stone is valuable.

There are some beautiful settings out there where the 6 prongs are sturdy, but very unobtrusive.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I think a 4-prong is fine and secure as long as you get the prongs checked every year. Just make sure to get insurance :) If you like the look of a 4-prong better, I would go with it without worry. I don''t think the security issue should be as big of a factor as your aesthetic preference.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
It also depends on thickness of the prongs and whether it''s a peg head, integrated head, basket, halo setting, or whatever. I have destroyed lightweight 6 prong heads, and I''ve worn some 4 prong that can handle anything.

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/27/2010 5:07:24 PM
Author: HVVS
It also depends on thickness of the prongs and whether it''s a peg head, integrated head, basket, halo setting, or whatever. I have destroyed lightweight 6 prong heads, and I''ve worn some 4 prong that can handle anything.

Arrrrhhhh I had a nice long post written and when I pressed submit a message came up saying there was an error!!

Anyway, I will start again.

Attached is my ring in it''s current form. I am planning on making a few changes. Firstly, due to having chunky fingers, I am getting a thicker band.

Secondly, I think that when viewed face up, the 6 prong heads are very significant. That''s what prompted me to ask the jeweller about a 4 prong setting. I was initially thinking of a Tiffany style setting but when I was shown one in the store, I thought it was set much lower than mine and seeing that made up my mind that I prefer higher settings. I don''t actually have mt ring yet, just pictures from when we picked it out (boyf hasn''t proposed yet). The pictures don''t do the ring any justice whatsoever!!!! Evertime I look at the pictures I want to change the setting but when I go to the store and try it on I just love it!!! I have decided not to change the setting, I''m just going to get a slightly thicker band, a secret stone in the band but I am thinking of asking if the prong heads can be shaved down a but so that they are less noticable...

What do you guys think????? Thanks in advance

0405831.jpg

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
BTW- the picture was taken looking into a mirror, you can see the profile of the setting on the bottom right of the pic

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
There are many, many large stones set in 4 prong settings and are totally fine. I think if you prefer a 4 prong, make sure you have a good insurance policy on it and then go for it!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I can see why you''re not as crazy about that setting, those are some big prongs showing. Just for comparison here''s mine in a Vatch setting. My stone is smaller than your''s, it''s only 1.5.

cropped-LW-8star157.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results