shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone Help - Am I Getting Ripped Off?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rexnfx140

Rough_Rock
I''m buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend, and I''m afraid that I''m paying too much for the center diamond. This is my first significant jewelry purchase and I just met the jeweler. Please let me know the fair market value for a stone with the following specs from GIA, dated 4/25/2008:

Round and Brilliant
7.73 x 7.77 x 4.61
1.70 carat
F color
VS2 clarity
Very Good cut
Very Good polish
Very Good symmetry
No Fluorescence
No significant inclusions or blemishes
Depth: 59.5%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 32.5 (thin)
Pavilion Angle: 40.6 (slightly thick (faceted))
No Culet

If there are any experts with other useful advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
At the top of your screen is a pull down menu, one of the options is "prices", if you pull down there is are options that will let you put in your diamond''s specs and pull up similar diamonds to evaluate how competitive the pricing you are recieving is.

Welcome and good luck!
35.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the HCA it score great but is a little shallow in the pavilion for that crown angle, might have darkening issues when view closely, which is likely for a ring, due to head shadown blocking the light source. You might want to examine it more closely to see if that bothers you.

I think your stone is listed online too from 16.8k - 17.4k between different vendors.

rexnfx140

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tips. It seems like the price I''m being offered is reasonable.

Do you have any other advice for a first time purchaser?

Any suggested jewelers I should check out in or near Chicago? I''d like to see another jeweler to compare to the first seller.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 2:53:06 PM
Author:rexnfx140
I'm buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend, and I'm afraid that I'm paying too much for the center diamond. This is my first significant jewelry purchase and I just met the jeweler. Please let me know the fair market value for a stone with the following specs from GIA, dated 4/25/2008:

Round and Brilliant
7.73 x 7.77 x 4.61
1.70 carat
F color
VS2 clarity
Very Good cut
Very Good polish
Very Good symmetry
No Fluorescence
No significant inclusions or blemishes
Depth: 59.5%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 32.5 (thin)
Pavilion Angle: 40.6 (slightly thick (faceted))
No Culet

If there are any experts with other useful advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Hi rex,

You could do better than this diamond, it is a shallower combo which could mean it is bright and brilliant, might lack some fire due to the angle configuration, but it is possible it might show darkening due to the borderline shallow pavilion angle and the shallow crown angle. This effect is called obstruction, it can manifest by the diamond looking dark due to the shadow of your head/ body literally obstructing the light to the diamond. Check the diamond carefully for this effect, if it doesn't worry you then thats one thing. But with the diamond itself you could find one which is perhaps better balanced which could give you a good display of fire and brilliance.

The video bottom left of this link titled Head Obstruction by Garry Holloway shows what to look for.

http://diamondscope.pricescope.com/

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t buy it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just thinking if there is a Jareds near you or Hearts on Fire dealer, I would definitely recommend you could check out Jareds AGS0 cut grade ( I think these are called Peerless) or the HoF to get an idea of how a well cut diamond behaves and looks, then you know if the one you are looking at is worth continuing with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results