shape
carat
color
clarity

stone has GIA, AGS, Whiteflash certs that are all different?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zen_racer

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I just bought a stone from Whiteflash, a 1.2 E IF AGS0 http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-2200808.htm#. I received it yesterday and started looking closer at the specs on the different reports, and noticed the Sarin report lists different sizes/angles/percentages than the AGS report, and both are different from the GIA specs that are listed on the stone, as well.

What gives?

It''s a beautiful stone, but it''s hard to trust when these things come out so differently. I''m not talking about a .1% difference, I''m talking the table on the sarin is 57.3%, the table on the AGS report is 56.8%

the big problem is when I start plugging in the different numbers listed there into the holloway cut advisor, I''m seeing this stone fall outside the AGS ideal range.

It''s making it hard to trust any of the reports, and I''m considering just sending the thing back.

Is it common for the grading reports to be so far off of one another?

Thanks for any advice.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What GIA specs are you talking about? It is an AGS graded stone.

It is common for sarin scan to be different from AGS report, due to calibration of the machine.

AGS0 performance cut grade is based on the actual 3D proportion of the stone and not the 2D outline presented on HCA. A stone can get AGS0 cut grade lying outside the cutter's guideline or not get an AGS0 even if the average proportion lies within the guideline.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto.

And the AGSO grade is based on the AGSO cert only. Any other information that happened to accompany the diamond is irrelevant to that grade, which was the primary determinant of the price. To me, the variation between the sarin and the AGS numbers seems to be within the acceptable range given the reality of measurement error. If you are concerned about the diamond, an independent appraiser can *easily* verify for you whether the diamond is the one listed on thr AGS cert, either from the plot or from the inscription.

zen_racer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

The GIA specs were listed on a sticker attached to the foldy papers that hold the stone.

The AGS specs are actually even different from the specs listed on the page there. I still don't really understand how there can be such a big difference in numbers and have it not be a big deal when we're talking about tenths of a percent really killing a stone's performance.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The IS image looks good, that is all that matters for the HCA rejection tool.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 10:51:05 AM
Author: zen_racer
Thanks for the replies!

The GIA specs were listed on a sticker attached to the foldy papers that hold the stone.

The AGS specs are actually even different from the specs listed on the page there. I still don't really understand how there can be such a big difference in numbers and have it not be a big deal when we're talking about tenths of a percent really killing a stone's performance.
Hi Zen

There is no need to worry, firstly that is an rare and beautiful diamond you have there! It is usual for there to be some variance between a Sarin report measurements and those of the grading report, however in the case of an AGS report, those are the numbers of authority and the ones to go by. I am not sure what happened with the GIA numbers, it is possible the stone might have been regraded by AGS for some reason or another, check with WF if you are concerned but I am sure there is no sinister reason for this.

Some AGS stones do fall outside the AGS/GIA box on the cut advisor, there is no reason for concern with this as that is only a guideline. Images which you have are the proof of the pudding so to speak and the HCA is only used for rejection, its use is limited with diamonds of such high cut quality such as yours which has supporting images.

I know it can be confusing especially with so important and expensive a purchase but personally I think you did great, thats a fantastic stone with superb images you have!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
wow, that is going to be an amazing stone!!! can''t wait to see real life pics and handshots!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope that this all makes you feel better, but if it does not, well that is what return policies are for! Peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results