shape
carat
color
clarity

still in love with your micropave?

phanct

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I'm wavering between a micropave setting vs a solitaire for my round diamond. I love the look of both! For those who have owned a micropave ering for several years, are you still in love with it? Or do you wish that you had gotten a solitaire with plain band instead? I'm so indecisive, so please help!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I did have previously and now have a solitaire and I love it. I tire of things easily which explains why I’ve changed my ring so many times. If you are already questioning it maybe it’s not the look you love.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
I have had my micropave for a year now, I still do love it, but sometimes I wish I went with a simple knife edge.. Granted, if I did that, I'd probably be longing for micropave! :lol:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, definitely

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't looked back since going plain shank vs micropave. I like the versatility of plain.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a micropave setting for a few years and switched to a plain rose gold shank and now a triwire rose gold/plat. shank. I like the option that a plain shank gives me. I feel that with a micropave you are somewhat limited with bands. When I had my micropave I felt like the only bands I could wear with it had to be similar in style and width (my personal opinion of course), whereas with the plain shank I can wear whatever I want.

ETA: I did love my micropave setting though and had no problems with it at all. It was the WF Harmony setting and was extremely well made. I probably would still have it if I didn’t decide I wanted rose gold instead.

JT123

Shiny_Rock
I had a platnium tiffany style 4 solitaire setting for almost 20 years. I liked it but hated how it looked once it got scratched up. (I know you can get it buffed out but never had it done.)
I switched it out to a pave type of band and lived with that for a few years. I LOVED the diamonds in the band however I couldn't stack that setting since it was a bow tie shank and the huge gap looked horrible!
I just got a new diamond and this time made sure it was stackable. It's a shared-prong diamond setting, with no bow-tie or tapering. Looks beautiful stacked with yellow or rose gold or plain bands. The diamonds go almost all around and only a tiny bit of the platinum prongs show. I'd rather have diamonds on my band vs more metal that'll get scratched up. Having a micro or shared prong diamond setting definitely requires more cleaning. You also risk losing a diamond so make sure it's inspected regularly.
I think it's good to get a cheap cz micro band and live with that for awhile to see how you feel.
I adore the look of micro/shared prong settings, it definitely gives a ring more bling! Good luck!

Last edited:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had both types of settings and, over the years, have come to realize that my eye prefers a plain shank. Pave settings are gorgeous but I feel they obscure the main diamond a bit because of the surrounding glitter. In a plain setting, the diamond *really* pops.

I guess it depends on whether you're going for a look that's more about the overall ring (glittery!), or more about the diamond. A plain shank may be a little more versatile because you can always add a pave stacking band when you're in the mood for it!

JT123

Shiny_Rock
I've had both types of settings and, over the years, have come to realize that my eye prefers a plain shank. Pave settings are gorgeous but I feel they obscure the main diamond a bit because of the surrounding glitter. In a plain setting, the diamond *really* pops.

I guess it depends on whether you're going for a look that's more about the overall ring (glittery!), or more about the diamond. A plain shank may be a little more versatile because you can always add a pave stacking band when you're in the mood for it!
WOW your ring is beautiful!!! I have to add, if I had a bigger diamond like yours I'd probably be more inclined to get a simple solitaire setting. There is no need to bling it up lol!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first setting was a blinged out micropave halo... and I loved it. However, I longed for the wearability and effortlessly chic look of a solitaire. I also wanted to change because I had a baby and the pave just wasn't conductive to mommy life AND I felt like my ring looked out of place when I wasn't dressed up (like if I was wearing yoga pants and a tshirt, I felt self conscious)... Like @KristyDarling mentioned... a plain band makes the diamond POP and look bigger!

Here's a pic of my halo: 2.43 ct (8.7 mm) center, size 5.25 finger
msop04_hand.jpg

Solitaire: 3.33 ct (9.8 mm) center, size 4.75 finger (I lost a little weight)
DK Wire Band _plat_3.jpg CVB Soli Hand 1.jpg

Attachments

• Zina_Antiqued_Eternity_Platinum_Stack.jpg
    Zina_Antiqued_Eternity_Platinum_Stack.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DK Wire Band _plat_1.jpg
    DK Wire Band _plat_1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 16

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love mine. I have had it almost 10 years. Every now and then I think I would like the practicality of a solitaire, but then I realize I would miss the look of my perfect pave. I would say, though, it would depend on who did the pave. It has to be really perfect for me to love it. Mine is done by Leon Mege, but Steven Kirsch and Victor Canera are a couple examples of pave I would love for a lifetime. I am not a fan of the pave that includes two or three tiny stones in a shape, but rather the -most of the way around the band-kind. That is just my preference though.

Dcrafty1

Shiny_Rock
Granted I've only had mine for three months. I love the Pave look. The only thing I wish I could change is when it's dirty it looks "dull". But when cleaned, I love the glittery look.

phanct

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses so far! Keep them coming! I'll do as someone suggested and toy around with a cz band to see how much I love it vs the simplicity of a solitaire.

Donnass117

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love pave bands on my rings, but this is because they are thin and delicate. I've seen rings with big diamonds on the band and it takes away from their diamonds, but a thin and sparkly row looks beautiful

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results