shape
carat
color
clarity

Steven Knight and The Jewelry Judge

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dandoboy

Rough_Rock
Is anyone able to explain exactly what this notice is indicating? This notice was found on This Website.

11/17/2004 - IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE CEO OF THE JEWELRY JUDGE:
To All It May Concern:

Please take notice that Mr. Steven Knight of The Jewelry Judge in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, is NOT a member of the Jewelry Judge International Network of Jewelry Appraisers. Mr. Knight''s relationship with the Network was terminated on November 3, 2004, for the following reason: The Jewelry Judge is an independent network of Professional Jewelry Appraisers. The strength of the service is that we are "mediators", with no commercial interest. Any attempt to use our service to promote the sale of any item is a violation of our ethical policy.

In addition, please be advised that the Jewelry Judge Network of Professional Jewelry Appraisers has NO relationship with Treasure Traders International and DOES NOT guarantee their products in any way.

Barry S. Block, GG, CSM-NAJA, ASA
Master Gemologist Appraiser
Registered Master Valuer #1051402
President/CEO
The Jewelry Judge, Ltd.
320 Old Country Rd.
Garden City, NY 11530
1-866-JJUDGE1
WWW.JewelryJudge.net
[email protected]

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It sounds like someone is, or at least was, claiming to be associated with The Jewelry Judge (tm) who is not entitled to make that claim.

What about their statement is confusing?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

dandoboy

Rough_Rock
I was told by a local jeweler that they often use Steven Knight as their independent appraiser. They said that he used to be with The Jewelry Judge in Toronto (20-30 mins from Hamilton). I''m just a little weary of using an Independent Appraiser when I see a notice such as this posted about him.

I''m mostly interested in the reasoning why this notice had to be posted, and what curcumstances led up to it.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Although I have no knowledge of this situation, The Jewelry Judge CEO is my appraiser, Mr Barry Block.

I believe that The Jewelry Judge appraisal members can have no interest in retail/wholesale gem or jewelry sales and it sound as if perhaps the appraiser mentioned was somehow involved in the selling of the same kind of items he is certified to appraise. Doing so is a conflict of interest and violates the rules of The Jewelry Judge organization. I don't know if doing so violates any other appraisal affiliation.

You would have to ask other appraisers here what their opinion is of appraisers being involved in sales (I'm not referring to the sales of jewelry instruments, tools or cleaning products- those items don't really represent a conflict of interest, do they?)

Were you looking to use Mr Knight as your appraiser and were doing a little "google-ing" to find out his background? (eta- sorry, we were posting at the same time)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''ve never heard of Steven Knight but it seems likely that he''s prepared to explain if you ask him. If you continue to be concerned, Mr. Block may be willing to discuss it as well (but I wouldn''t bet on this).

The various appraisal societies have vastly different rules about this. Most of them have no problem with their members being associated with, employed by or owning jewelry stores as long as they aren''t buying or selling the item currently being appraised and as long as they don''t claim something that isn''t true.

There are some sub-groups that have extreme rules. AGS-ICGA rules, for example, forbid selling anything other than appraisal services, including cleaning supplies or loupes. At the other end, I''m told that there are auction type groups that require the appraiser to be an auctioneer, meaning an active seller.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
I dont know what is the deal with that situation, but I know I used The Jewelry Judge, and when I called to make an appointment, they told me that they dont sell jewelry and all and that it was a totally unbias evalution and that Barry Block wasnt going to try and sell me anything. The lady seemed to make a real point of it. So I guess in light of reading this, they take that extremely seriously.
It sounds like the guy was saying he is associated with The Jewelry Judge, but hes not. That doesnt mean he isnt a good appraiser, all it means is he isnt a part of that organisation.
Hope that helps

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results