shape
carat
color
clarity

Sterling silver allergy?

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I got a moissanite ring in sterling silver 2 days ago and my finger is now red, swollen and itching like crazy. It's supposed to be nickel free and it's rhodium plated. But my white gold wedding ring Is rhodium plated as well and I've never had an issue. Is it possible to be allergic to the silver itself?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has to be an alloy issue in the sterling silver. Nickel is the usual culprit but as it is supposed to be nickel free it is something else. Where was the ring made? Perhaps the manufacturer used recycled materials in the alloy such as tin or aluminum that could have been contaminated. the rhodium plating must be really thin. Sorry to hear about it. You can try repeating or use clear nail polish to coat the metal.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
It has to be an alloy issue in the sterling silver. Nickel is the usual culprit but as it is supposed to be nickel free it is something else. Where was the ring made? Perhaps the manufacturer used recycled materials in the alloy such as tin or aluminum that could have been contaminated. the rhodium plating must be really thin. Sorry to hear about it. You can try repeating or use clear nail polish to coat the metal.

Thanks. It was made in China. I'll try the nail polish until I can have the center stone reset in gold.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah yes, the silver that’s not quite silver.
I too have a nickel allergy and a while back I bought, from China, an eternity style ring to check if I like the look before investing in the real deal.
I wore it overnight and woke to this. Although stamped 925 it must have nickel in it as I can wear silver without any problem.
782CD3C2-7FD6-45C3-BE2C-A39FFD6AF948.jpeg

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I developed allergy not only towards silver but even towards stainless steel necklaces, rings and bracelets I bought at Chinese shops.
Also Chinese polyester and Chinese silk give me skin reactions.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Ah yes, the silver that’s not quite silver.
I too have a nickel allergy and a while back I bought, from China, an eternity style ring to check if I like the look before investing in the real deal.
I wore it overnight and woke to this. Although stamped 925 it must have nickel in it as I can wear silver without any problem.
782CD3C2-7FD6-45C3-BE2C-A39FFD6AF948.jpeg

I've never been able to wear silver but I assumed it was a nickel allergy. When they claimed it was nickel, cadmium, and lead free (I didn't even realize those last 2 were used in jewelry), and that it was rhodium plated, that I might be able to get away with it. No such luck. It's a stunning ring and I love everything about it, except that I'm allergic to the metal. 20220120_214956_HDR~2.jpg

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I developed allergy not only towards silver but even towards stainless steel necklaces, rings and bracelets I bought at Chinese shops.

That's really weird. I wonder what could be in silk that would cause a reaction?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

the polyester could just be the awful chemical dressings they use when they manufactor the fabric
how did you get on after it was washed a few times ?

Reactions: KLC

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
That's really weird. I wonder what could be in silk that would cause a reaction?

Chinese chemical products.
I have no skin reactions with Italian silk blouses and foulards, only with silk from China.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
the polyester could just be the awful chemical dressings they use when they manufactor the fabric
how did you get on after it was washed a few times ?

I washed many times, but I wasn't able to get rid of the chemical smell and unpleasant feeling on the skin: I threw the foulard and the shirt on the garbage.
Same with a jacket I bought some years ago.
Never ever buying Chinese clothes/jewellery again, no matter how cheap they are, they're just a waste of money.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I washed many times, but I wasn't able to get rid of the chemical smell and unpleasant feeling on the skin: I threw the foulard and the shirt on the garbage.
Same with a jacket I bought some years ago.
Never ever buying Chinese clothes/jewellery again, no matter how cheap they are, they're just a waste of money.

year
apart from the pong id be worried about what the smell actually was

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results