shape
carat
color
clarity

Stephen Yearick? vs. Claire Pettibone! & an alteration q

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
What do y'all think of Stephen Yearick? Does he have a good reputation? I tried one on in a consignment shop and it looked pretty darn hot on me, if I do say so myself! And the beading was excuisite. So much nicer than any other beading I'd seen. And I like that it's so different from my other dress! The lady asked me to make a decision by today, since I asked her to hold it for me.

The one I tried on is very much like the one in the pic (forgot my camera! bad PS'er!), but has a modest strapless top (no cleavage) instead of a halter top, and there's a tiny bit of cotton lace along the bottom edge.

Does anyone know if altering a dress like this is inevitably a disaster? She seemed to think it would be fine, but I'm a bit skeptical....

Oh, and now that I'm definitely NOT getting the Claire Pettibone dress I asked you guys to talk me out of (since I can't try it on -no salons around here carry it - and there are no returns) I thought I'd show it to you guys. (next frame)

yearick dress.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Here's the front of the claire pettibone dress that I'm totally IN LOVE WITH! But my mom says it looks like a nightgown anyway.

cp larissa dress.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm...never heard of him, but as for the Claire Pettiborn dress, it has a similar vibe to quite a few other designer dreses I''ve seen lately. I *think* Judd Waddell makes a few similar dresses if I remember correctly. And there were a few like it listed on bridepower and/or preownedweddingdresses.com. Worth a check...

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I check bridepower and preownedweddingdresses OBSESSIVELY.
27.gif
I. AM. AN. ADDICT!

What do you think of the Yearick number? My mom''s coveting it and asking if it can be dyed and given to HER after the wedding. She actually looks super hot in dresses like that.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 5:45:11 PM
Author: Independent Gal
I check bridepower and preownedweddingdresses OBSESSIVELY.
27.gif
I. AM. AN. ADDICT!

What do you think of the Yearick number? My mom''s coveting it and asking if it can be dyed and given to HER after the wedding. She actually looks super hot in dresses like that.

Lol. I like it, the beading is fab, but it''s not my style. That Claire one appeals to me much more!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
The beaded one looks like a red carpet dress, not a wedding dress, IMO. The CP dress, though I love her designs, does look more like a nightgown, though I love it and love the detail on the back...

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Hey, IG, I really think that the Stephen Yearick would look amazing on you. And in your venue with the modern vibe it would work nicely. The beading is amazing, but I''m a teeny, tiny bit worried about any alterations just because of the costs associated with having to rebead the altered areas by hand.

So how well does it fit you? Would the alterations be minimal? Is there any boning in the dress, especially in areas that might need to be altered? My only fear is that if there are extensive alterations, it would get pricey. I only had beading on the bust of my dress, but that was the one area that needed quite a bit of altering. I consulted with three different seamstresses and got three quotes ranging from $550 to $700 for alterations (I needed a hem, too, so it wasn''t all in the bust). Each seamstress told me that hand-beaded dresses are extremely difficult to alter because you have take them apart, resize them, restitch the boning back in place then rebead everything by hand again. With a great seamstress you wont'' be able to notice even a stitch being out of place (I couldn''t believe how perfect the bust of my dress looked when she was done), but it''s expensive! I briefly considered a boob job as an economical alternative to alterations.

If you barely need anything altered (no boning taken out), then I think the alterations woud be fine. But if it''s 3 sizes too big, forget about it!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip, New England! The bust area would need to be taken in about an inch (no boning), and I'd need about 1/2 inch (so maybe won't bother) around the hem. The consignment shop has a seamstress who does everything that needs to be done for a flat rate of $100 (wow!). But I don't know whether she does a good job, if you know what I mean. So, I better ask some more questions...

ETA: this dress would be for Wedding Part 1 (not the hip modern venue... WP2), which is a civil ceremony in a very elaborate state room of a city hall abroad (think: Palace...which is what this city hall used to be!) then dinner in the formal dining room of the house (think: Palace again) where my parents live (it belongs to my step-dad's employer, though.. don't go getting the idea I grew up in a palace! sniff sniff!). At first I was thinking 'short dress!' for the civil ceremony, but it has come to my attention that all the brides wear gowns at this city hall. It's just the done local thing.

sera

Ideal_Rock
That beaded dress is gorgeous. The "nightgown" one is pretty too, but yeah... nightgownish- maybe for a garden wedding.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think the Stephen Yearick looks incredible, especially since you mentioned the one you tried had a different top. The beading looks as spectacular as you describe it. It isn't the most traditional wedding gown, but you aren't going the traditional wedding route, right?

I've also drooled over the Claire Pettibone, but I honestly don't think it'd be that flattering on most people (maybe it'd add some oomph to stick figure models, but it'd hide great figures like yours).

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
oh, shoot, an inch is fine! No problem!

Sorry about the gown mix-up. I''ve definitely been following your threads about dress ideas for WP1, I think I was jus thrown off because this was so much more formal. I love it, though. Again, I think you''d look great in it and considering the civil ceremony is in a palacial setting (the city hall is basically in an old castle?! As in no green carpet and tapestry walls?) and you''re having a formal dinner in a similar setting, I think the formality of this dress would work really well.

Do you have your WP2 dress already? I need to go back through your threads :) I KNOW I''ve seen you in several dresses!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, the shape of the top part of the one I tried on was more like this one, but the beading and bottom are more like the first one. I have to decide! ARGH!

sy gown 2.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
LOVE the subtle sweetheart top. I think the Yearick is a fabulous choice!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hey New England Lady, here is a pic of me in the dress I bought for WP2 which will be in the funky modern restaurant / lounge.

BTW, the City Hall is a palace, rather than a castle. Castles, historically, were fortifications, and tend to be on top of lonely hills, and often are more rugged and surrounded by thick walls for resisting attack. Palaces are designed as comfortable places to enjoy, either for working or living and are more inclined to be lavish and luxurious. So there will definitely, definitely not be any green carpet! And probably no tapstries. Think tonnes and tonnes of luscious swirling marble! Columns! Statuary! Paintings! And from my mom's place there are views to die for. If I get up the courage, I'll post a pic of my mom's garden after the wedding. It's like a dreeeeeam.
5.gif

Sorry to be horrible and pedantic, but if Prince Charming offers you a choice of going to live in his castle or his palace, I want to make sure you make the right choice!
25.gif

Thanks for all the great feedback ladies. I am calling the consignor RIGHT NOW to buy this dress! I am taking a deep breath. It is a BIG scary purchase... way more than the first dress was. Wish me luck!

nm front ps2.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
oh my gosh, how could I have forgotten about the dress for WP2! I love that dress! I''m obviously going crazy, maybe after my own wedding I''m forgetting not only our wedding details, but everybody else''s, too!

So glad you went with the beaded dress, I can''t WAIT to see some pics of it! This time I''m committing it to memory!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lines and flow of the Yearick dress look to be drool-worthy! Personally I don''t care for the big, bold beadwork designs for a wedding dress, but I rather suspect that your taste is far less traditional than mine!
2.gif

I like the Claire Pettibone dress, and I love that empire styles are sneaking back in. But I think you did right to pass it up if you couldn''t try it on. That style could easily look overwhelming or nightgown-y. Even on the model, I kind of think she should be wearing ballet slippers and carrying a giant nutcracker!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the beaded dress is STUNNING! Very elegant.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Not to throw another option at you, but have you considered the Matthew Christopher Josephine?It reminds me of the Claire Pettibone, but is a little more structured. It''s the dress that I''ve actually dreamt about, however it looks ridiculous on my short and curvy frame. I think it would like unbeliveable on you though Indy.

Here''s a pic of the front...

2714_primary.jpg

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
And of the back...

2714_sec01.jpg

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
And one of the details on the bodice... it''s so simple and elegant, yet so very unique.

2714_sec02.jpg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
As far as alterations go for the beaded dress, as long as you find a good tailor you''ll be okay. My prom dress was beaded much like your dress and I did not have a problem getting it altered. The dress is gorgeous, what a great find!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 6:46:42 PM
Author: EBree
I think the Stephen Yearick looks incredible, especially since you mentioned the one you tried had a different top. The beading looks as spectacular as you describe it. It isn''t the most traditional wedding gown, but you aren''t going the traditional wedding route, right?

I''ve also drooled over the Claire Pettibone, but I honestly don''t think it''d be that flattering on most people (maybe it''d add some oomph to stick figure models, but it''d hide great figures like yours).
Ditto I LOVE the Stephen Y ... especially when you mention the Palace and the dinner. It''s not a typical wedding and sounds very glam... so I think a red carpet look is PERFECT. I''d go for it. And post lots of pics for my PS friends.
2.gif

happilyeverafter

Shiny_Rock
The Yearick is beautiful and you''ll look great in it, especially with the strapless look! But I know how you feel about the Pettibone dresses - the first one I ever fell in love with was by her.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I bought the dress and I am SO EXCITED! I will definitely post pics when I go for my fitting.

I asked around just to make sure that what I heard was right (about brides in mom''s country wearing their wedding gowns to the civil part of their marriage too - which everyone has to go through in that country before a religious wedding can happen) and indeed it is. If I''d gone short dress, I would have stood out in a bad way.

I also googled the seamstress the consignor uses as well as the consignor herself and they both get RAVES from other brides. No critical comments that I could find so I''m feeling fairly confident. But that was this morning, and I was up alllllll night worrying that I had made a mistake! Did you gals have that? I think it was less with the first dress because it was substantially less expensive and I knew that I might be getting another dress (so the stakes were lower, if you see what I mean).

But this morning all I feel is EXCITED! Yes, yes, I think this dress is perfect for me: it IS a bridal gown, but it is not a too-bridey-for-me bridal gown. And it looks great on me. And I think it will fit in perfectly with the setting. Plus, now my mom can get something fancier for THAT part of the wedding without out-fancying me. She''s excited about that too. And she loooooves this gown. We''ve decided to make the dinner black tie since most of the men own tuxes anyway.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Both dresses are devine. You''d be stunning in either, IG.

cheers--Sharon

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
So glad you found a dress for WP1! The Stephen Y + you is a match I can''t wait to see!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
So excited for you, Indy! Can''t wait to see pictures of it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results