shape
carat
color
clarity

Steep deep

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I know there are cons to steep deep diamonds - but are there any pros?

Thanks! :read:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. The industry makes more money off you since they didn't grind away more rough to get a well-cut stone.
(The 1.0 ct steep deep may have ended up 0.9 ct if well-cut.)

2. They are easy to find.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! But do steep deeps give off a different kind of look than the more ideal cuts, or are they just not as sparkly and duller?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may help explain what happens to the light with a steep deep.

In the bottom row look at the deep ones.
Notice how some of the light leaks out the bottom of the diamond instead of being reflected out the top.

09Idealscope_chart1.jpg

09Idealscope_chart2.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Daisi2112 said:
Thanks! But do steep deeps give off a different kind of look than the more ideal cuts, or are they just not as sparkly and duller?
either, or ,both
It is not that easy.
slightly steep/deep of specific proportions to the eye can look fine and have a different look than ideal-cuts
others can be less bright with similar look, just less so in a lot of lighting.
and others can be less bright and have a really different look in a lot of lighting
It all depends on the lighting, the viewer and the specific angles of the diamond(all facets).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I imagine a stone with slight leakage will do just fine in a high-prong setting which leaves the pavilion open..

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Steep deep" is a PS invented term.
Generally speaking, if a diamond is too deep, it looks smaller than other diamonds of similar weight.
If a diamond was graded EX cut grade by GIA, it's incredibly likely that it's a stone which would be considered well cut by professionals trained to judge cut.
If a stone graded EX cut grade by GIA was deemed "steep deep" by people on PS it might very well have wonderful visual attributes.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I think my diamond is a steep deep - it looks a tad smaller than other 1.5 carat rounds. It still sparkles like crazy, but sometimes I feel it should sparkle a little more when I compare to other people's diamonds. The stone is set in a 4 prong basket setting, so it's not high - I wish it was set a tiny bit higher, which may help, but it's fine the way it is. Hubby got it for me, so I'm happy :bigsmile:

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Oh, i forgot to ask, do steep deeps usually appear more "white" while having fewer "fire" flashes than the more ideal cuts?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Daisi2112 said:
Oh, i forgot to ask, do steep deeps usually appear more "white" while having fewer "fire" flashes than the more ideal cuts?
What are the angles and %?

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
When we bought the diamond we didn't know much about them, so I only have measurements in "mm" - no angles or percentages ;(

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The grading report is from GIA and before 2006? It should be on the report if it is after that and GIA gives it a cut grade.

Depends on the setting and lighting, fire maybe better, light worse.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I don't have a GIA - I only have an appraisal from... I think it's GAL? I didn't find Pricescope before we got engaged - but as long as the diamond is pretty (which it is coz it still has a lot of sparkle), I am happy. But I do wish I had a GIA report or something...... :(sad

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
It should be on GCAL too? Or that is just a simple basic appraisal and not a grading report?

If you do not have these information, how do you know it is steep deep?

EDT:
OIC, GAL not GCAL. But still why you think it is steep deep?

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Back a while ago (I think about a year ago), I posted the 'mm' measurements I have (there were only two, not three) and someone said with those #'s it looks like it is a steep deep. I also just looked on the pictures posted above and mine sort of looks like the steep deep one. I'm just taking a guess since I don't actually know, but I've been trying to get it figured out...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Daisi, Pricescope Rule #1 is, "Every diamond that is already purchased and not returnable is the most beautiful diamond in the world."

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Daisi,
There are indeed diamonds that are cut too deeply. My initial point is that diamonds graded EX cut grade are rarely ( if ever) deep enough to be called badly cut
IN the picture posted by Kenny above, you can see how a very deep diamond looks- generally it's dark int he center.
GIA reports have three numbers because there's usually a slight variation in diameter- but even with two measurements ( diameter and depth) we can figure out the depth percentage to get some idea of what you have.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results