shape
carat
color
clarity

Steam v. Ultrasonic - Which do you prefer? Why?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you all help me? I have an ultrasonic which gets my jewelry pretty clean, especially after I give it a clean in clean water. But is a steam cleaner even better? What are the pros and cons of each? What do you use?

Thank you.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question. I look forward to what others think. I have both. I rarely use my steamer though, it’s a pain. I can only give it a few quick bursts of steam before the pressure runs out and I have to let it build up. (Plus it makes my hair frizz :lol:) My ultrasonic is fast and easy. Maybe for the best cleaning a combination of both?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both. I never use the steamer. It's just a lot of fuss, and since I never let my rings get dirty, I don't feel it does a better job than the ultrasonic. To be perfectly honest, what I do most of the time is just soak overnight in dawn dish soap. The last time I used my ultrasonic was when my MIL came for a visit and I cleaned her jewelry.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got an ultrasonic and my stuff looks amazing after hot water and dawn dish soap.

Q

Queenie60

I have both. Ultrasonic and then steam. My jewels look beautiful.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I no longer use an ultrasonic but I do soak my jewelry in cleaner every day. I pull out my steam cleaner about once a month and steam off my often worn pieces and I do believe they look a bit cleaner after the steam cleaner. Disclaimer; it may be that I want to believe that. I can safely say if a jeweler uses the ultrasonic then steam cleans your jewelry it looks a whole lot better than just those places who use the ultrasonic.

Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom I am interested too in seeing others experiences with using both. You are good at maintaining the cleanliness of your bling so I bet you would continue the necessary maintenance if you got a steamer and an US.

I find I am not really even using the US I bought. I am that lazy.:lol: I just clean my ring every other day now with dish soap, water and a toothbrush. And I spray it with alcohol (91%) and allow it to airdry. Seems to do the trick.

But I am very curious if steaming it would make a big enough difference.

@Jimmianne and @Queenie60 do you steam and clean in the US every day?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am leery of the steam cleaner dislodging stones if used often. Also, and this may just be me, but every time I use it I have had to take precautions against dropping jewelry from the force of the steam and having to use special tweezers to hold it. The very first time I used it, it sent my ring flying to the floor.:eek2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results