shape
carat
color
clarity

Steam Cleaning & Boiling Water Jewelry Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondjane

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I''ve been researching how to clean my ring on this site. People seem to mention jewelers steam cleaning once every now and then. Does anyone know how this works? Also, is there a way I can purchase one for myself for home use?

People have also posted cleaning rings via soap, soft brush and boiling water. Will boiling water cause the platinum metal to expand and contract, and possibly lose a stone?

Thanks.

read.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can boil a platinum and diamond ring all day long and NOTHING will happen except cleaning. However, should you boil away the water you could damge the ring left inside the overheated pot. So, be careful when doing your cleaning that way. No problem with gold, either.

Never boil pearls, emeralds, tourmalines, TANZANITE, topaz. There are many other gemstone4s that cannot take boiling or the shock of cold air when removed from a boiling pot. The best rule is never boil anything but gold, platinum, silver and diamonds... Don't take big chances if they can be avoided simply by buying a $2 bottle of jewelry cleaner.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I have actually seen a steam cleaner for home use that could be used on anything from your jewelry to your car engine. It was on shopnbc I believe. If you try searching on their site; shopnbc.com, you may still find it.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure what it was called. I saw it a while ago. But it looked pretty impressive. I almost bought one.

loveyellow

Rough_Rock
what if the ring has yellow diamonds in it? can you boil those?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I believe a diamond is a diamond, with the same hardness of 10, even in different colors. Gemstones have different hardnesses, so that's why some are most likely not good to boil.

Also, some people here use Windex, or ammonia to clean their rings, and that also does not damage the metal (white gold OR Platinum) and the diamonds seem ok.

I just use warm water, hand soap (scented) and a soft old toothbrush to clean my diamond earrings and e-ring. Works like a charm!
2.gif
9.gif

kmatt

Rough_Rock
I've discovered a real time saver:

Soak ring in Goddard's store bought soapy jewelry cleaner or Dawn in hot water.
Brush off with soft brush or artist brush (under prongs)
Toss in strainer (kept under the bathroom sink)
Rinse in strainer under hot water.
Blow dry with hairdryer while still in strainer.

Works like a charm!

wink2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results