shape
carat
color
clarity

Statistics on Kate Middleton's blue sapphire

Ellie25

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a blue sapphire like Kate Middleton's that is natural and unheated, but I can't find details on the color of hers. Does anyone have the estimated statistics of her sapphire (e.g., 4Cs, dimensions, brilliance). Is it dark, intense, or vivid blue? The below sapphires are about 10mm x 8mm. Which of these would be more like hers, if either? Where is a good source for finding sapphires like hers? Is the one attached too dark (pic #1)? Perhaps the other (which was taken in daylight/natural light) is too light and possibly too shallow (10mm x 8mm x 3.6mm; pic #2)? A setting might darken the center. My price is limited so some sacrifices to the 4Cs will be needed. I may also consider a sapphire a little lighter than hers so it appears blue in more settings rather than black.

(#1)
img1.png img2.png (#2).

Thanks in advance for any information that can be provided.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her sapphire is dark, but I would say #1 is too dark.

In the US, something like a medium cornflower blue is most desirable.

You can look at:
www.finewatergems.com
www.whitesgems.com
www.gemfix.com

Also, you may consider asking the mods to move this post to the colored stones forum.

Ellie25

Rough_Rock
Thank you....I appreciate your response.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s a 12 carat Ceylon sapphire. Color is not specified as far as I know.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
8C453C2A-1D64-4B51-8FFE-07AB285DF17E.jpeg An intense close up shows it to be a deep blue.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7D28C749-6B7F-4213-89E5-A0984EBB07F1.jpeg

I think I’ve read that it always photographs darker than it is in reality.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here is Kate's sapphire. The color is not that great. I mean sure....if you catch the light just right, it almost certainly has a fantastic blue color. However, many other times it is overly dark n' dead looking. It blackens out like it's got a serious case of over saturation and/or extinction.....

Diana & Kates engagement ring.jpg Kate+Middleton+Kate+Middleton+Engagement+Ring+R8jYbQc07rfl[1].jpg Kate+Middleton+Kate+Middleton+Engagement+Ring+XGuiW7g6uBHl[1].jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Its color has nothing on many other famous celeb stones
Beyonce's sapphire is what a sapphire worthy of royalty should look like beyoncesapphire.jpg beyoncecloseup.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Even Jay-Z has a sapphire with a color half way decent. Even though its lighter, At least it doesn't turn into a "black spinel look-a-like", like Kate's ring does jay-z-40-40-395-ring.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I imagine Kate's ring to look like something along the lines of my Co bearing spinel from Sri Lanka. In this youtube I did, you can see how it blackens out much of the time, until it catches the light.....then it pops with color.

Please excuse the cover picture on the YouTube video. I don't know why that's up there because those are Vietnamese spinel. I'm not sure how that got switched like that but the video is of the spinel I speak of, and not the little pieces in the video cover photo there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results