shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting with a rough MMD?

sa52

Rough_Rock
Hi I am trying to get some thoughts and feedback on potentially buying a rough cvd diamond and having it cut to either a radiant or cushion. I have been able to source cvd roughs in this size range for $700 /ct. I have been reading up on diamond cutting and would expect these to yield a stone in the 3.5 - 4.5 ct range. Do you think this is a good idea? Anyone done this before? Also what diamond cutter would be willing to cut the stone as I have started to look around and get an idea of cost? Am I crazy to think of doing this? 1607976411245.png

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an inexperienced buyer, I would be wary of getting sold something of poor quality for a high price.

You would also need to consider that (IIRC!) MMD is harder to cut in some ways than Mined diamonds, so you may risk damage/Total Loss if the cutter is not experienced with it.

You'd also have to know the cutter could produce what you wanted - in terms of shape and cut quality.

TBH I'd be tempted to rely on existing vendors of finished MMD stones - they will have (should have!) quality checked the stones they are stocking, so less risk of poor quality material.

I understand the desire to do it, though - it would be cool to buy cubes of diamond and have them cut into what you want :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition to what @OoohShiny said, one would be hard pushed to find a diamond cutter who would work with client-supplied roughs, however, I could be wrong.

DK :))

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition to what @OoohShiny said, one would be hard pushed to find a diamond cutter who would work with client-supplied roughs, however, I could be wrong.

DK :))

I was wondering about that!

I recall @Wink saying that Mined rough without provenance (i.e. Kimberley Process paperwork) would be pretty impossible to sell on or cut, but I am guessing that MMD might be different because it's not Mined?

Mind you, perhaps it would make no difference whether it was Mined or MMD - after all, conflict diamonds could be bringing money into a regime/country regardless of being in either category!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cutter prices vary just like everyone but $400/carat from the beginning weight is a good place to start. Plus some shipping plus the lab. The risk is on you. I'm curious why you would be interested in doing this.

sa52

Rough_Rock
As @OoohShiny said, one of the fears I have would be not be the most educated I could get some not quality rough. The company I would be getting it from says it I would have 30 days to return if I choose. I would first find the person who I would use to to cut the stone so I could be be doing all under their advise and knowledge. I am going to be making some phone calls in the next few days to see if I can find any one who would be willing to do so.

That number of $400 a ct I have seen a few times when researching a cutter @denverappraiser . The reason to be doing so would be 2 fold, the first of which being I love creating projects from scratch and think this would be the ultimate project for my wife's ER upgrade. As well as aside from the inherent risks involved, I would be left with a a great price savings as I would be under $13k or so for something that should be around 4cts or larger.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not sure I would bet on a giant financial savings but it will be an interesting project. Don't forget the cost of the lab at the end as well as several rounds of shipping to and from both the cutter and the lab. For example, GIA on a 4 carat is $400 plus shipping both ways. All in I suspect you'll be closer to $15k than $13k on this.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I can only wish you luck and hope you post the outcome. It's not something I would do, because of lack of experience and living further away from any reputable cutter and lab, but I think it's super cool as a project. If unsure however, I can't help but agree that there are enough beautifully cut labs in the same price bracket already out there.

Ada Diamonds CEO

Rough_Rock
Trade
Properly cutting CVD diamond requires experience with CVD rough.

If it's annealed (treated CVD) it's substantially harder than natural diamond, and there are likely striations in the crystal when you're looking at 6mm tall rough.

At the very least, I would make sure your cutter has experience with CVD rough, and determine what the contingency plan is if something goes wrong in the cutting process.

All the best with the project!

Matthewgolf34

Rough_Rock
I was wondering about that!

I recall @Wink saying that Mined rough without provenance (i.e. Kimberley Process paperwork) would be pretty impossible to sell on or cut, but I am guessing that MMD might be different because it's not Mined?

Mind you, perhaps it would make no difference whether it was Mined or MMD - after all, conflict diamonds could be bringing money into a regime/country regardless of being in either category!

@OoohShiny I have a $50 Lightbox Gift card expiring 12/31/21. Wanted to gift it to you if you want it after all the help you gave me and others.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I have no advice to offer but it sounds like a fun idea. Please update us!
Good luck on your diamond adventure!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny I have a $50 Lightbox Gift card expiring 12/31/21. Wanted to gift it to you if you want it after all the help you gave me and others.

Hi Matthew,

That is an extremely kind offer, thank you! :)

Right now I am in no position, financially speaking, to find the budget needed for any non-essential purchases :( lol, but I would not want the offer to go to waste if it is still available and you did not want it for yourself!

Just thinking out loud, then, perhaps there might be the opportunity for it to be given away through PriceScope? Perhaps through the webinar that Andrey / @psadmin / John Pollard are doing this coming Tuesday 24th??

:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results