shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting to have second thoughts…blue spinel cab earrings I bought on eBay. Opinions requested!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I was excited to find these earrings on eBay from a seller I’ve bought from before. I pulled the trigger Saturday, but now I’m starting to wonder if they are too good to be true. What’s the fastest way to determine if they are synthetic? GIA and AGL are 4 weeks out now because of a gem show in Las Vegas. Thanks for any tips.
D8097D59-0ED4-4825-91A0-719EB6967261.png

Attachments

• 9F24CA97-B728-4CED-9E51-93F0674C1531.png
    9F24CA97-B728-4CED-9E51-93F0674C1531.png
    366.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 2C6FD9F7-CB9A-406F-8CED-390381F38A59.png
    2C6FD9F7-CB9A-406F-8CED-390381F38A59.png
    336.4 KB · Views: 65

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
They certainly look very clean, and synthetic spinel would be typical of the time. Why is the background of the photo blacked out like that? I would think that with 1.75 tcw of diamonds $4000 is not a terrible price for synthetic spinels, but someone can correct me if I'm mistaken. I think a knowledgable jeweler would be able to give a good educated guess, all things considered.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I have noticed that a lot of vintage jewelry with synthetic stones are labeled as spinels. It seems that spinel is another term for synthetic or fake stone.

I’m not sure the diamond weight alone justifies the price.

Hello there! I'm going to resist making assumptions based only on this photo (and item price) as to whether the spinels are natural or not, though I certainly appreciate that fellow members would want to protect you by advising that they may well be synthetic.

So the only thing I can offer you is what I would do myself. This is a US seller, and I assume you reside in the US? At least you won't have a complicated or costly return (they seem to also offer free returns). Did you use Paypal through ebay to make payment? If so, and if you love these earrings, let them ship. If, upon receipt, you still love the earrings and feel the spinel could be natural, send them off to the GIA or AGL. Yes, they're each running at least 4 weeks out, but Paypal allows for refunds up to 180 days, IF an item is "significantly different than represented." In this case, if the spinel is described as natural in the listing, and tests as synthetic spinel or corundum by the lab, you would be eligible for a refund by Paypal buyer protection. Now, I don't know if these earrings are worth the hassle to you. But if I truly loved them (and they are gorgeous!), I would take the chance.

That being said, if you have the proper instruments, you could certainly check the spinels' RI, SG, magnetism, inclusions, and/or fluorescence at home to determine composition. If you do not have the proper training and access to the necessary equipment to perform these tests, again, I would rely on a lab. But, of course, you don't want to purchase the earrings and keep them (or return them, for that matter) merely based on a guess. In any event, good luck!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Hello there! I'm going to resist making assumptions based only on this photo (and item price) as to whether the spinels are natural or not, though I certainly appreciate that fellow members would want to protect you by advising that they may well be synthetic.

So the only thing I can offer you is what I would do myself. This is a US seller, and I assume you reside in the US? At least you won't have a complicated or costly return (they seem to also offer free returns). Did you use Paypal through ebay to make payment? If so, and if you love these earrings, let them ship. If, upon receipt, you still love the earrings and feel the spinel could be natural, send them off to the GIA or AGL. Yes, they're each running at least 4 weeks out, but Paypal allows for refunds up to 180 days, IF an item is "significantly different than represented." In this case, if the spinel is described as natural in the listing, and tests as synthetic spinel or corundum by the lab, you would be eligible for a refund by Paypal buyer protection. Now, I don't know if these earrings are worth the hassle to you. But if I truly loved them (and they are gorgeous!), I would take the chance.

That being said, if you have the proper instruments, you could certainly check the spinels' RI, SG, magnetism, inclusions, and/or fluorescence at home to determine composition. If you do not have the proper training and access to the necessary equipment to perform these tests, again, I would rely on a lab. But, of course, you don't want to purchase the earrings and keep them (or return them, for that matter) merely based on a guess. In any event, good luck!

This. I do love them. I am in the US and feel protected by eBay and Paypal. I will advise the seller about my concerns, and send them to the lab. 15 years ago I had an emerald pair that was very similar, and real, so I think I got seduced by that memory. april102009 003.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This. I do love them. I am in the US and feel protected by eBay and Paypal. I will advise the seller about my concerns, and send them to the lab. 15 years ago I had an emerald pair that was very similar, and real, so I think I got seduced by that memory. april102009 003.jpg

Your dear cat stole my heart and your earrings <3

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, most likely synthetic. Big natural blue spinels are both rare and very very expensive, especially in almost flawless clarity.
Many eBay sellers with set gems use a Presidium gem tester in the absence of any other documentation. Gem testers can indicate gem type but not whether natural or lab grown. The more “perfect” the colour and clarity the more likely lab grown.
Back in the day, synthetic gems were highly prized and expensive, they were often set in high carat mounts with oodles of diamonds.
For the price, I think even with synthetic spinels that’s a good price. It’s a quality made setting with lots of quality diamonds.
The seller hasn’t indicated lab or natural spinel so a “not as described” claim might be difficult to win. If you are unhappy with the possibility of them being lab contact the seller and ask if you can return them.
However, you will be “out” your shipping costs (both ways) and likely the PayPal fees. PayPal now keeps their cut of the transaction whether or not the sale completes.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The earings are lovely. A lot of antiques are made with synthetic stones though because they were considered highly valuable in the early 1900s. I don't think the seller was trying to decieve you, just that antique jewelery is commonly like that. For what it's worth you could start by asking the seller in a friendly way, they may come straight out and tell you the spinel is synthetic and the earings are priced based on this, the 1.75 ct of daimonds and the fact that they're antique. My guess is they'll say this because if that spinel is real then those earings are worth probably more than 10 k (cobalt spinel in those sizes is inordinately rare today). The fact that the seller only priced them at 4 k makes me think they won't be surprised if it turns out to be synthetic.

Edit -- actually put it under a uv light, see if it flouresces (if yes id guess at cobalt spinel based on the colour), then look into the timeline of cobalt spinel mining. I don't have time right at the moment, but I think this may make it clearer

If you miss your emerald ones, then why not take the earings to some local jewelery stores who set coloured stones. Can ask what the jeweler thinks of the stones, but can also see whether you'd be able to replace the spinel down the track. You could then go look at muzo emeralds, and Jr Colombian emeralds inventory for cabs that might fit. See if one or the other can suggest how much they'd think such a pair would cost.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Emaerald pairs are much easier to find than fine cobalt blue spinels. I think requiring a lab report before purchase is a must in this case.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Heard from the vendor this am. She said they have no inclusions so are likely lab created, but she couldn’t be sure without inclusions. Lol. Anyway, 30 day return, they pay for shipping, so I have time to think.

Thank you for all the excellent feedback!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
So the vendor now says they are likely lab created but felt free to list the spinels as natural originally? Unless she is apologizing for her error, I would avoid the seller in the future for obvious reasons.

Good lawd, those are gorgeous!! As is the kitty!! :love:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
So the vendor now says they are likely lab created but felt free to list the spinels as natural originally? Unless she is apologizing for her error, I would avoid the seller in the future for obvious reasons.

Agreed. She thinks she is absolved because she offers free returns. And she didn't say what they were, besides spinels. These jewelry-buying waters are shark infested!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed. She thinks she is absolved because she offers free returns. And she didn't say what they were, besides spinels. These jewelry-buying waters are shark infested!

I think it's quite common with spinels - I've had vendors day they are not sure. Likely never had it tested so don't know either way for certain. If they're telling you honestly they don't know but it may be synthetic and are offering free shipping (including shipping returns) I wouldn't go as far as to say they're dishonest.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
For that price though, they really should have it tested though shouldn't they? Not sure if the retail price for a 1900s piece like that would necessarily be enormously lower though, if it turns out to be synthetic. Would be a bargain and a very unique piece if it turns out to be natural.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
They have arrived. Good thing I’m not doing this to make a living. I love these even though I’m sure they aren’t natural. But the color is spinelly and they aren’t too big so I am going to keep them. Please excuse my hair… 4A3D3FD8-DE8B-4AA5-85CD-CEE0E8ED17B3.jpeg

Attachments

• D517F10B-DAC9-4C15-8A25-FDFC93133015.jpeg
    D517F10B-DAC9-4C15-8A25-FDFC93133015.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 9387D20C-EEF2-41EB-96C2-C287DA47726C.jpeg
    9387D20C-EEF2-41EB-96C2-C287DA47726C.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 39
They have arrived. Good thing I’m not doing this to make a living. I love these even though I’m sure they aren’t natural. But the color is spinelly and they aren’t too big so I am going to keep them. Please excuse my hair… 4A3D3FD8-DE8B-4AA5-85CD-CEE0E8ED17B3.jpeg

Pieces like these (and the gorgeous photos to match) remind me why I love statement earrings so much. They are stunning, and look so lovely on you!
locomotive.gif
The wisps of hair are adorable, BTW!!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Natural or not, they are beautiful and stylish. The shape of the spinels is perfect, just like water drops. I could easily imagine these earrings being worn by a titled lady in a period drama.

Omg these are jaw-droppingly beautiful. I'd love to re-create something like this but with emeralds instead. If that's ok, do you mind sharing the dimensions of spinel vs. the rest of the dangle please??

Omg these are jaw-droppingly beautiful. I'd love to re-create something like this but with emeralds instead. If that's ok, do you mind sharing the dimensions of spinel vs. the rest of the dangle please??

I will be stalking you endlessly to see these come to fruition! P.S. Did you see OP's earlier pic of her similar emerald version?
1197.gif

Oh, derp. I found it.

Whoops. I was too busy looking at the cat. Tehe!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results