shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting the process and looking for value

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

andrews

Rough_Rock
My friend recommended that I learn all about buying a diamond by coming to Pricescope and I''m so happy I did. I''ve been reading quite a bit on the forums and I''ve been able to better understand what to look for in a diamond. I found two different quality diamonds that I hope someone can take a look at. I''m more looking for value and so I''m comparing quality relative to the price rather than the just the quality of both of these diamonds. The ring will be a size 4 so I''m comfortable going with a .75 carat diamond or somewhere around there. I''m trying not to exceed $3500 for the diamond itself so if you have suggestions, that would be awesome. Your input is appreciated!

1. http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-h-color-si1-clarity_LD01123458

2. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5736/

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
I''m in the same boat as you...... There is a lot of info on this site. I''ve learned Blue Nile is not good with total specifications and that there "cuts" can be misleading.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
The first stone scored a 2.3 on the HCA... Still pretty good!
The second one scored a 1 on the HCA, which is excellent!
I think either would be a great choice if they fit into your budget!

andrews

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! I think my leading candidate is the diamond from GOG because of the cut quality and the HCA ratings. I''ll still be looking around for other deals so feel free to keep suggesting.

Does anybody have any suggestions on settings. I really like the simplicity of the movado diamond ring. Clean lines and very simple but also giving the view of the bottom point of the diamond. I was thinking of going custom to basically replicate the platinum setting but I''m not sure where to go since they''ll be handling my diamond as well. Any precautionary measures I should take? I''m sure there are. I also thought about going with a very simple platinum solitare setting from blue nile since they offer a 10% discount through American Express.

Also, I was thinking of waiting a bit to order the diamond since I''m planning to propose in August. Do diamonds come and go that quickly or should I be able to find one that is comparable or better closer to the time I''m ready to buy? I know getting a custom size 4 setting might take about 4 weeks any way so I guess I''d be buying some time next month regardless.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments are appreciated!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
The GOG one you posted is a very nice stone. Make sure it''s eyeclean though.

iraweissman

Rough_Rock
Trade
Both stones look great, but if you''re looking for value, then I would recommend searching for diamonds with either Polish or Symmetry (or both) having a VG grade. There''s a premium in the industry for "pretty paper." What I mean by that is that if a cert "reads nicely" even though it will have a virtually imperceptible benefit, you will pay more for it. I worked for a major top 5 sightholder for 6 years and have sorted hundreds of thousands of diamonds and I couldn''t tell you the difference between a VG and EX polish diamond. Same goes for symmetry.

Try your search again, but look for EX cut and VG polish and symmetry. Especially if "value" is what you''re looking for.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 5:14:25 PM
Author: iraweissman
Both stones look great, but if you''re looking for value, then I would recommend searching for diamonds with either Polish or Symmetry (or both) having a VG grade. There''s a premium in the industry for ''pretty paper.'' What I mean by that is that if a cert ''reads nicely'' even though it will have a virtually imperceptible benefit, you will pay more for it. I worked for a major top 5 sightholder for 6 years and have sorted hundreds of thousands of diamonds and I couldn''t tell you the difference between a VG and EX polish diamond. Same goes for symmetry.

Try your search again, but look for EX cut and VG polish and symmetry. Especially if ''value'' is what you''re looking for.

I''m agree with this
3.gif

iraweissman

Rough_Rock
Trade
that''s a first for me on PS! Someone has actually agreed with me!!!
:)

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Storm's picks are excellent choices!! Any one of those put in a simple classic tiffany setting would be perfect.

andrews

Rough_Rock
Another consideration that I have is to know that the diamond I choose is conflict-free. I''ve been reading previous threads on this topic and it seems that the best way to know is to ask the company that I''m buying from. This seems pretty....unofficial. I was just wondering if anybody knew if Whiteflash, GOG, and Blue Nile are known to sell conflict-free diamonds. I assume so. From my understanding, all diamonds in the US after 2003 are supposed to be conflict-free.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 11:02:05 PM
Author: andrews
How would I know if it is eye-clean?

I did another search with your suggestions and came up with this:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-2057633.htm#

Any thoughts?
If you are dealing with vendors like GOG, WF, JA or HP you call and ask them. Plus they have photos of their in-house stones so you can see the placement of any inclusions. These folks are honest about their stones. They want their customers to be satisfied not disappointed with their choice. BlueNile does not offer photos or personal inspections.

This stone you picked is not an in-house stone. It is not one that WF has looked at or photographed and would need to be called in for an evaluation.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2009 12:31:08 AM
Author: andrews
Another consideration that I have is to know that the diamond I choose is conflict-free. I've been reading previous threads on this topic and it seems that the best way to know is to ask the company that I'm buying from. This seems pretty....unofficial. I was just wondering if anybody knew if Whiteflash, GOG, and Blue Nile are known to sell conflict-free diamonds. I assume so. From my understanding, all diamonds in the US after 2003 are supposed to be conflict-free.

I will copy this post from expert John Pollard which should help you concerning conflict diamonds.

Original thread - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/conflict-diamonds-and-treated-diamonds-how-not-to-buy-such.55227/

"In North America you can buy with high confidence.

The Kimberly Process is to be applauded for dramatically reducing the scope of the issue. Some estimates put rough touched by conflict at less than 1 percent today. But the global diamond industry is vast. Greed is not exclusive to Africa, and rogue elements trade rough of dubious origin where they can. Kimberly Process fraud was uncovered in Brazil and Guyana this year. In early November NGOs were calling for expulsion of Venezuela from KPCS participation. Border controls are tighter in North America, especially post 9/11, but the possibility of corruption in the system exists, even in Canada where “conflict-free” is a national marketing slogan (CDCC). The good news is that Kimberly and Global Witness have estimated that 99.8% of the world’s diamonds are conflict free. Still, unless you walked the diamond yourself from mine to sorting to trading house to cutting factory to parcel buyer to retail outlet, nothing can be 100 percent certain.

As responsible retailers we do our utmost to protect our clients and ourselves. We select our partners with great care. We know the leaders of our primary trading houses and their commitment to the process of certification. Every diamond we bring in is accompanied by written conflict-free guarantees and certification from people committed to the process. We have joined hands and done everything in our power to guarantee our diamonds’ conflict-free provenance for you, just as our conscientious peers do.

Neil Beaty's article has a number of intelligent consumer options. I would add the suggestion to be proactive. As a shopper you can test a retailer’s awareness and commitment to the issue. These four questions are suggested by NGOs Amnesty International and Global Witness.

1. How can I be sure that none of your jewelry contains conflict diamonds?
2. Do you know where the diamonds you sell come from?
3. Can I see a copy of your company’s policy on conflict diamonds?
4. Can you show me a written guarantee from your diamond suppliers stating that your diamonds are conflict-free?

Remember that "conflict-free" just scratches the surface of the issue. The industry works hard to ensure conflict-free provenance for the end-user and for many consumers that is enough. The only drawback is that it overlooks the real issue which is those who still suffer in parts of Africa.

As jewelry companies and consumers we can’t change governments or politics, but we can create commerce and benevolence to help those people. UNICEF is active in Africa. Development diamond initiatives like Rapaport's are evolving. Our company’s chosen charity partner is the WCCCI and we have a program funding relief for African children.

Beyond the protectionist work Kimberly Process, the Patriot Act, NGOs and the CRJP are doing, we believe there must be people-centered answers to help actual humans without industry or red tape in the way."

John

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results