shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting over from scratch...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
My fiance (I love saying that!) and I have decided that although the diamond we initally bought has some lovely qualities, we want to trade it in for something with more fire and brilliance. Call it the "Pricescope Curse."
31.gif
So now we''re starting the process again from scratch.

Fortunately, the dealer from whom we bought the diamond has a trade-in policy where what we originally paid for the stone will be applied to the price of a new stone. Unfortuantely, we''re not really confident in his expertise on cut. For example, when I told him this time around we would be wanting to know crown and pavilion angles, he said, "If all of the other measurements fall into the ideal range, the crown and pavilion angles will just fall into place." I''m not an expert, but after hanging around here for awhile, I''m a bit skeptical about that! In response to my description of what we''re looking for, he said, "If you''re trying to find a perfect diamond, you could be searching for a year!!" Uh, actually, I found hundreds of diamonds within our parameters online in about ten minutes. However, we''re somewhat "married" to this vendor, at this point.

Anyway, I e-mailed him our specs and he''s doing a stone search. Whatever he gives us, we''re going to run through the HCA, naturally. But we''re still a bit uncertain of ourselves. We know that all diamonds look good under hallogen spotlights, which is what they have in their store. Does anyone have any additional advice for us? Should we trust the combination of our own eyes and the HCA results, or is there anything else we should weigh heavily?

Thanks again for your help, everyone!!
2.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
If I were you. I'd buy and idealscope to view the stones he shows you. That is a quick and low cost way to see light return. I'd also see if you can identify some stones for him to call in on memo if he doesn't find much, since your search found lots. Lastly, make sure to look at the stones in lots of different lighting -- especially away from the bright store halogens. Try to mimic your everyday lighting (e.g. outdoors, office, home incandescent, etc. )

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
Thanks, lop! Good suggestions; we'll definitely look at the stones in different lighting, that's a good idea. What does it mean to "call something in on memo?" I've not heard that expression before.

I'm hesitant to add anything more to our cost by buying an Idealscope (and not confident that I'd even know what I was looking at!). But it might be worthwhile considering the overall cost!!! Do you know, are they relatively easy for a layperson to use effectively?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
The basic ideal scope is somewhere around $30. I think it is well worth the $$. I understand your not wanting to keep adding to the $$ spent, but this and a good appraiser visit are well worth the $$, in my book.

Calling in a stone on memo means that a jeweler can ask a wholesale vendor to send them the stone for evaluation. I think they pay shipping to do that, so they don''t want to do it with too many stones, but it sounds as if that is what your vendor is doing anyway. He can''t be purchasing the stones for you to look at; they are "on loan" from the manufacturer. Do a search using the B&M store button and see what comes up. Those stones should be available for him to bring in.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2004 7
6.gif
5:25 PM
Author: lop
The basic ideal scope is somewhere around $30. I think it is well worth the $$. I understand your not wanting to keep adding to the $$ spent, but this and a good appraiser visit are well worth the $$, in my book.
I 100% agree with LOP!

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
Thank you both! I thought the Ideal-scope was $100, but I just went to the website and saw the beginner's version for $25. I'm definitely ordering it right away! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

I searched the B&M stores and only came up with two diamonds within our specs (and they didn't list crown and pavilion angles), as opposed to the hundreds I saw on the internet vendors. Do you know whether jewelers can call in stones from internet vendors?

Also, am I being too hard on the jeweler? I'd be interested in hearing other people's impressions of the responses he gave me!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a little tip. Do you mind having an AGS certified stone? If not go to Blue Nile or Mondera & search their diamonds. All the AGS ones will have the certificate available for immediate viewing. Take all the measurements & plug it into the HCA. When you find one that meets your criteria ask your jeweler to call that specific diamond in for you. Blue Nile stocks virtual inventory meaning nothing is in house. That diamond you find on their website is available to any jeweler who decides to call it in. You jeweler might ask how you found the diamond. I would be honest & tell him I found it online but wanted to purchase it through a reputable jeweler such as himself. Hopefully he''ll be able to match or else not charge you too much over Blue Nile''s price.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Seems like an ideal opportunity to put the Pricescope/local vendor program through it''s paces.

Has anyone used it yet with stories of success?

In particular, when it was being rolled out, in initial discussions concerning it, it was suggested that a diamond from the list would come (at least with a request for same?) sarin or ogi measurements. Of course, if this info was available with the request, in advance of the diamond being called in, so that an unsatisfactory set of numbers, along with the request, can be cancelled and a new request again be made, with the procedure being repeated -- this program may work for you with your dealer.

Perhas you can check this out, or Leonid can help us understand these parameters better.

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
Rosy, that''s ingenious, I have already found three and e-mailed their AGS Certificate #s to the jeweler! Thank you so much!!

Regular Guy, I did try the local jewelers option; I came up with two stones, but no listed jewelers! I''m going to let my jeweler know about the network... IF we have a good experience, this time around!

Thanks so much for the feedback and advice. Any other thoughts?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Actually, if Rosy's idea works, it does sound much better, and more direct.

Otherwise, since I did read where you felt married to your jeweler, the implication would be that, to use the Pricescope B&M program, your jewler would have to agree to partipate in the Pricescope partner program, which they at least might do to assist working with you. Sounds like you're already in the process of checking that out.

Best wishes!

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Ira! It was fun entering the #s from the AGS certs into the HCA and seeing what came up. I was utterly amazed at how two diamonds with such close numbers could have such different ratings! But I found three beautiful diamonds rated between 1-1.8 on the HCA scale. They''re all SI2, so we''ll have to examine them closely, but I''m optimistic!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Glad to be of help. I stumbled upon this when I went to a B & M & was shown a stone. Later I went online to compare prices & plugged in the specs of the stone. To my surprise the exact same stone was being listed for sale by many online vendors. Good luck with your choices!

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Rosy! Unfortunately, I spoke with the jeweler today and he said he could not call in those stones, because he only gets stones through his wholesalers.
5.gif
However, he said it was good that I sent him the info because it gives him a better idea of what to look for, and he''s going to get me AGS stones so I can see the crown and pavilion angles. I guess I''ll run what he finds through the HCA and buy myself an Ideal-scope, after all!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Oh that''s too bad. At least he''s not offended by your internet search & will continue to help you find your dream diamond! Good luck.

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to give an update to anyone who is interested! We are SO excited!! We went back to the jeweler and he showed us three stones, one of which was absolutely PERFECT. It has so much brilliance and fire, we were totally blown away!! And it was within all of our parameters. So the stone is currently being set in a Tiffany-style tulip 6-prong setting, and I get to pick it up Wednesday!!! We're thrilled, especially my fiance, who was really dissatisfied with the original stone.

It was amazing when we looked at the original stone next to the new one, the difference was so pronounced. They looked like two completely different materials! And when we compared the two, we realized just how shallow our original stone was, and why it didn't have the fire we were hoping for.

Just to be sure, of course, I got a copy of the certs (it has GIA and AGS) and plugged the numbers into the HCA, and it came in within the TIC range! Which fit right in with our observation of the stone, but again, since we're not experts, it's good to have the "official" feedback. It's an H/SI2, with a faint fluorescence which makes it appear a little whiter, and frankly, neither the jeweler, my fiance nor I could see any inclusions looking at the stone face-up with the loupe! You can only see them from the sides. The jeweler was a little unhappy about that; he would have preferred to sell it at a higher clarity rating and for a higher price, I'm sure.

So to sum up, we're basically beside ourselves thrilled, and I promise to post pics and specs when we get back from the holidays. Thanks to everyone for the tips and feedback; we couldn't have done it without you!!
35.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!! Glad you found what you were looking for!!!! Happy Holidays! and enjoy your new ring!

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
Thanks, fortheloveofdiamonds, you know I will! I''ll be flashing that thing around right, left and center!!
18.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations!!!!
36.gif

can''t wait to see the pics!!!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Congrats inquisitor! I can''t wait to see the pictures of new sparkler!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Inquisitor! I'm glad you found "the one" that you'll enjoy and feel great about indefinitely! Don't forget those pics!
2.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just reading about your situation inquisitor. Congrats to you on finding what it is you like. Your perservereance has paid off it seems.

Peace,

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for your congrats and encouragement. It will probably be early January before I can post pics, but I promise to post them! Happy holidays, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results