carat
color
clarity

Starter Superideals

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
B7C71898-99FA-4A19-9607-29AE6BC077AE.jpeg

Looking to purchase a .60-.75ish sometime in the next six months or so. I’m curious how you ladies have set them—when the plan from the beginning is to trade up after 2-5 years or when finances cooperate.

Pendant? RHR? Bracelet? Would love to see pictures of the “firstborn.” :lol:

Just a pic to get things started—perhaps two .30 bracelets? Then trade them both in for the upgrade when the time comes? That watch ain’t half bad, either!:appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my .46 BGD J/SI1 stone. I had planned to use it to trade up so I put it in a sterling silver setting so I could enjoy it in the mean time. However,
I missed my trade up window because the price of stones climbed and now it makes no sense to use to trade up. I still like the pendant but
have learned that I really dislike taking my current necklace off to put another one on. I may convert it to a bracelet that I can wear all the time.

BTW...If your intentions are to upgrade I suggest you go with a vendor that has a good (simple) trade in
policy. 100% trade up with no contingencies.
green_leaf_background_1.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with upgrades is the loss on setting costs... the less pricey the stone the greater the magnitude of loss, comparatively! I'd choose pieces that you enjoy most with smaller stones that you won't feel compelled to upgrade... then just buy more bigger stones down the road :mrgreen2:

Single-station DBTY bracelets are lovely with sub-0.5ct stones, IMO! Larger than that and (also IMO) the culets become uncomfortable and the flipping becomes obvious.

I had a 0.7ct OMC set into a hair clip a few months ago - CVB's Spring Gulch. Adore this little luxury :kiss2:

Last edited:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My starter ACA was 2.937ct, so finances would never allow me to go up, haha.

That said, the first ACA *I* bought with my $ were .66ctw ACA earrings. I then upgraded those within a few months to 1.33ctw ACA earrings.

Here are the .66ctw with my e-ring
ears2.jpg

and now my 1.33ctw earrings, which are probably my final upgrade (yeah right):

IMG_0499 (002).jpg WFearrings5.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No pics at the moment, but I bought a .37k CBI and then returned it for a .56 g (was aiming more for size than color, the K was nice). It has been a right hand solitaire for a year and now it is going to be one of two side stones with a sapphire middle!!! :appl:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No pics at the moment, but I bought a .37k CBI and then returned it for a .56 g (was aiming more for size than color, the K was nice). It has been a right hand solitaire for a year and now it is going to be one of two side stones with a sapphire middle!!! :appl:
I can’t wait to see the three stone!!!

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
B4EBB12A-8921-4FA3-9F3D-F86438CC1A2A.png DF21DA27-5D9A-49CD-8B2C-7D7706D7879A.png Well, super ideal stones are addicting and after trying them out ,your cannot live with lesser quality diamonds,that’s a downsize :cry2: also I think doing upgrades make sense for a ring simple settings or earrings ,bcs each time you will have to get a new setting. I set my first super ideal stone in bezel necklace,it’s 0.72 I VS2 ACA . Also I have a pair of earring with 0.48 diamonds blu Nile signature stones ,I don’t know if they consider superideasl . As far for a necklace ,I little bit regret setting such a beautiful stone and don’t have a chance to envoy it as a ring or bracelet, plus ,as soon as I put it on ,in a coupe of hours ,it’s so dirty from rubbing on my skin,so it looks like a cheap CZ:oops: so my advice would be to make a piece of jewelry you can see all the time and enjoy the sparkle :razz: 41963D85-D410-433B-B4E7-7596C1952D63.jpeg CFD77D2A-F857-464F-A599-E06DCE53F085.jpeg 11F84A4D-B879-4D31-A114-D3560C8CF0DA.jpeg 76C5C3C1-7DE6-43DF-9AA7-F1FA0F8F1F2E.jpeg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A hair clip???? :love: Do you have any photos or thread on this?

My thoughts exactly! Please show us @yssie!!!!!! I guess if you run out of fingers, lobes, etc., get a hairclip! :lol::love::appl::dance::dance:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't made a thread on it - haven't had time to take photos :(sad and don't just want to use Caysie's! I'll get to it soon!! :halo:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm definitely following this thread with interest! I've been buying only CS and moissanite (I know, to diamond experts that likely seems insane). But lately I've been trying to figure out if a super ideal like ACA/CBI, etc would be worth it in a small size, or whether at that size it wouldn't be worth the cost. Love hearing about others' experiences!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm definitely following this thread with interest! I've been buying only CS and moissanite (I know, to diamond experts that likely seems insane). But lately I've been trying to figure out if a super ideal like ACA/CBI, etc would be worth it in a small size, or whether at that size it wouldn't be worth the cost. Love hearing about others' experiences!

Totally worth it at .56. Totally.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had not spent so much time on slow motion lol; you see all you need to see in the beginning. No sense watching all what 8 minutes lol

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the idea of buying a "starter" super-ideal and then seeing where it takes you. I think CBIs start around 1/3 carat. Something between .35 and .45 carats (stay below .5 carat to avoid the price jump) would be the perfect size to put into a small (cheap) bezel pendant or RHR, maybe made of silver or 10K gold to keep setting costs as low as possible.

At this size, your future possibilities are endless. You could leave the stone as-is if you end up liking the small pendant/ring. You could trade in the stone later for credit towards a larger one. You could buy a matching stone and make a pair of .7-.9ctw studs, which are a good size for everyday wear. Or you could use it as a side stone in a 3-stone ring like @cflutist's beautiful example.

I think you're on the right track. :)

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The problem with upgrades is the loss on setting costs... the less pricey the stone the greater the magnitude of loss, comparatively! I'd choose pieces that you enjoy most with smaller stones that you won't feel compelled to upgrade... then just buy more bigger stones down the road :mrgreen2:

Single-station DBTY bracelets are lovely with sub-0.5ct stones, IMO! Larger than that and (also IMO) the culets become uncomfortable and the flipping becomes obvious.

I had a 0.7ct OMC set into a hair clip a few months ago - CVB's Spring Gulch. Adore this little luxury :kiss2:

Excellent point about the setting costs! I have two daughters, 10 and 14, so my initial thought was that I would reset something with a birthstone or gemstone for them when I pluck the diamond out for the upgrade. A halo pendant comes to mind for that—but, as someone mentioned, I can’t see a pendant as well to admire during the day! Bezels are probably not the best choice for something planning to be reset?

I want one of those Victorian star hair clips! :) please start a SMTB thread for your hair comb!

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yeah
Excellent point about the setting costs! I have two daughters, 10 and 14, so my initial thought was that I would reset something with a birthstone or gemstone for them when I pluck the diamond out for the upgrade. A halo pendant comes to mind for that—but, as someone mentioned, I can’t see a pendant as well to admire during the day! Bezels are probably not the best choice for something planning to be reset?

I want one of those Victorian star hair clips! :) please start a SMTB thread for your hair comb!
Yeah ,bezels are impossible to reset back ,wish I would do just somewhat of bezel prong setting so the diamond could be removed and something could be placed back :cry2: now I feel very bad to destroy beautiful custom made bezel with such a fine details ! So now I am planing to just add two more bezel stones to the necklace so maybe it will not turn that much and stay clean longer on my neck and not being a oily cz :angryfire:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have an itty bitty .30ct H SI1 ACA diamond pendant. I had originally purchased the stone with the intention of collecting ACA’s one at a time for a future 5 stone ring, but once I received the stone I just had to have it set. It turned out to be a great size for my lifestyle as an everyday wear pendant, and I can layer it with other pieces if I want a more blingy look. I never thought anyone would notice it, because of it’s smaller size, but I have had strangers comment on my pretty necklace =)2
The glamour shot Whiteflash sent me:
B9AF5E1E-FBCD-4B34-8873-5F18F9CC1FE9.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Erm. I’m late to this superideal thing so here is my starter superideal, a 2.05 ct CBI in a Stuller setting...

I’m thinking of either getting another 4 stones to do a 5 stone ring or to trade in for a bigger solitaire next... but still thinking since I just got the ring a week ago.

6A4E4FC2-A057-464E-B756-ACC172B3E3E1.jpeg
DBF9881C-E061-4D60-B7BA-A69ED8BE9849.jpeg

Happytobemrsg

Shiny_Rock

I'd love to see your hair clip :love:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Erm. I’m late to this superideal thing so here is my starter superideal, a 2.05 ct CBI in a Stuller setting...

I’m thinking of either getting another 4 stones to do a 5 stone ring or to trade in for a bigger solitaire next... but still thinking since I just got the ring a week ago.

6A4E4FC2-A057-464E-B756-ACC172B3E3E1.jpeg
DBF9881C-E061-4D60-B7BA-A69ED8BE9849.jpeg

Icyjade, this is spectacular. Please do a SMTB. Let us know your thoughts about your CBI in this size. Big enough? Fantastic, IMO. :) I also would LOVE to hear about your setting journey, as I am considering Stuller settings for my own CBI. I honestly don’t want an expensive setting. I want to put my money into a bigger (or additional smaller) CBI stones LOL. It’s been a bit time consuming to pore through all the Stuller options on their website. How did you find your setting model? What metal did you select, did you have Stuller set the pave? Was cost differential significant from other settings available?

OP sorry to threadjack. My honest opinion is to find an inexpensive ring setting and enjoy the heck out of your diamond’s perrformance, front and center on your hand (as opposed to a bracelet, necklace, earrings). You are going to want to let that diamond play with light and enjoy it at all times. I bought a “starter” .95 carat, E SI1 CBI, and after seeing the cut performance of a superideal for the first time, I feel I could easily have gone smaller and lower colored, as well as easily gone bigger too! I would urge anyone to see for themselves: there’s something special about superideals, even small ones. Set them so you can see them (at least for your first one anyway...)

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I considered it, but it is an "I". Before I buy another, I would have to see a "G" in person.
Dream stone would be a 4ct F-VS1 CBI for me @Wink. If 3cts is about 100k I wonder what 4cts would be?

I’m tint sensitive and my G is completely untinted to my late 40 year old eyes lol. I would absolutely consider an I or J and would be willing to try a K again in a larger size.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is my .46 BGD J/SI1 stone. I had planned to use it to trade up so I put it in a sterling silver setting so I could enjoy it in the mean time. However,
I missed my trade up window because the price of stones climbed and now it makes no sense to use to trade up. I still like the pendant but
have learned that I really dislike taking my current necklace off to put another one on. I may convert it to a bracelet that I can wear all the time.

BTW...If your intentions are to upgrade I suggest you go with a vendor that has a good (simple) trade in
policy. 100% trade up with no contingencies.
green_leaf_background_1.jpg

What a pretty pendant! If you do end up converting to a bracelet, would you keep a chain, or would you affix it to a bangle/cuff?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My starter ACA was 2.937ct, so finances would never allow me to go up, haha.

That said, the first ACA *I* bought with my $ were .66ctw ACA earrings. I then upgraded those within a few months to 1.33ctw ACA earrings.

Here are the .66ctw with my e-ring
ears2.jpg

and now my 1.33ctw earrings, which are probably my final upgrade (yeah right):

IMG_0499 (002).jpg WFearrings5.jpg

Beautiful!!

I have 1.0ctw Triple Ex. studs—I have traded up twice over the years with my Chicago jeweler... I will probably trade up one more time at some point....

I guess I’m thinking that I will get this starter superideal, then trade up toward an anniversary ring/alternate ering at some point in the future as a gift from DH. This small one will be purchased with my “mad money” I make as a contractor at my job. I recently said I’d take on extra work and DH agreed it should go into a jewelry-only slush fund. :) We have always dumped all of our money into one pot, but I like having this additional buying power! I used the first bit of it for my Cartier trinity back in May. Then I surprised DH with a new bike two weeks ago. :)

I don’t have a bracelet or a pendant, so they are at the top of my list. I did have a nice .30 pendant, but my daughter has taken it as a loan for now!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've upgraded my Whiteflash ACA studs several times. They have a great selection and upgrade policy, as well as competitive pricing.

Do you already have studs? Because those are going to be the least expensive settings. A stuller 4 prong pendant might be the next least expensive. I personally probably wouldn't set them until you're ready to upgrade if you can't choose a really cheap setting option or already have studs. As other have said, paying for settings to be discarded is a waste of money, and money that could go towards the diamond upgrade.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really like the idea of buying a "starter" super-ideal and then seeing where it takes you. I think CBIs start around 1/3 carat. Something between .35 and .45 carats (stay below .5 carat to avoid the price jump) would be the perfect size to put into a small (cheap) bezel pendant or RHR, maybe made of silver or 10K gold to keep setting costs as low as possible.

At this size, your future possibilities are endless. You could leave the stone as-is if you end up liking the small pendant/ring. You could trade in the stone later for credit towards a larger one. You could buy a matching stone and make a pair of .7-.9ctw studs, which are a good size for everyday wear. Or you could use it as a side stone in a 3-stone ring like @cflutist's beautiful example.

I think you're on the right track. :)

You are correct TreeScientist. The Crafted by Infinity Diamonds start at 0.30 cts. They are simply too expensive to cut in smaller sizes than that.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results